• Page:

TOPIC: '58 Tomahawk Questions.

'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119864

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
If you looked at the "Reasonable Offer" thread you have an idea what I have. A 1958 Tomahawk Ski Mate, 15'.
Stripped it down today and found some questionable items. I'll list them with pictures.
Bare bones

Is this wooden splash rail original or PO installed. It's screwed on from the inside.

Is there a missing trim piece on the inside where these holes are?

Was there a trim piece on the lower outside? There are holes in the ridge.

Anyone ever replaced the upper half transom? I have to raise it 4" and looks like it can only be accessed from the top.

And Finally to this post. Did anyone get the standard passenger that comes with most classics?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119869

Between bees and rodents you may have reached max capacity. Mine was stripped of all hardware so I can't offer much on that topic. I'm pretty certain mine is a '59 and it's different from yours in several ways. Mine has the molded front seats, it also has a float chamber that acts as a footrest for the front seats. Also, the slash well and fins are one single molded piece on mine, in fact until yours I hadn't seen a picture of one that had a seperate splash well.
Attachments:

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119870

'58 was first year for Ski Mate. Maybe yours is very early transitional boat?

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119876

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dave, like the color you chose. After chipping some paint it looks like the '58 was white on white so I'll have to choose a color. Going with a white standard bottom but wide open for the deck/fin area.
The splash well does look like a factory add on after the fact. Really rough glass matt, not gelled but it is splatter painted on the edges matching the bilge area. Almost like it was a prototype.

top side

Bottom side
Attachments:

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119894

Maybe you have Ski Mate #1. You're going to have to build a museum.
I was leaning toward going Turquoise on ours, but red was the original color and my son insisted we stay original

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119895

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thinking about a color. Next time I look for seat fabric I'll look for a cool marine vinyl color and then go to the local auto paint store and page through color samples.
Maybe some one in Tomahawk, WI. can get more info on this boat since it has the original ID tag and number.

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119898

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Can you post a close up picture of that ID tag. I have a good friend that lives in Tomahawk that I will contact. He may be able to steer us in the right direction...I DO know that every time I go to that National Antique Outboard show at Sara Park, there are always a few Tomahawk boats on hand...(and I am sure a gathering of MANY experts that could point out people there to talk to). I will try now so you don't have to wait until August.

Dr.Go!
p.s. Just sent my friend a text...I will let you know how that turns out.

Dr.Go!

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119899

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Can't seem to get a really good close up. Here's what I have, Nothing about HD.
Starting to work on the transom and found red color but the splash well seems to be separate somehow, maybe just age related.

Just says cap 940 lbs, not more than 50hp under normal conditions, Number 4580 stamped in large numbers. I registered it as that being the serial number.

Since I don't plan on running under "normal" conditions the transom is getting a rebuild and beefing. :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119902

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
My Tomahawk friend just got back to me with the name and number of a guy who used to work at the Tomahawk boat factory. I know the guy because he fixed some chips on my 1990 boat and then took the hazing off of the finish (at that time, I did not know his Tomahawk history).
For privacy sake, I won't list his name and number, but will PM you with it. He is a Vietnam Vet. I know he fixes glass boats (even for local dealer new boats like patching holes from Ski Towers removed). He re-worked a friends 1970's ski-tique too. He usually attends the Tomahawk show as well first weekend in August.

I hope this will lead you somewhere.

My friend just texted again saying that this site has info and that there is an article on the web about Gene Winter who is the original Tomahawk Boats Nephew and he restores them. (Wow - there is a lot on this site that I have not found or read yet).

Dr.Go!

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119903

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
63 Sabre - I just sent you and e-mail through your Fiberglassics profile page contact. Let me know if you get it as this is my first time trying that feature.

Dr.Go!

Re:'58 Tomahawk Questions. 8 years 7 months ago #119908

Same tag on mine, large stamped letters on right side are serial #. Mine also has small stamped letters on left side which match model # for '59 Ski Mate.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online