Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here

Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119405

Ok gents, it's time to get the 66 Sears resto back into full swing. The holidays straight up kicked my arse both mentally and financially. But I think were ready to get back going.

Now before I go order crazy, I would like a 2nd (or 100th) opinion on some of this.

First, I have what I believe to be a Teleflex Quick Connect Single. I found the words "Safe T Steer" so, I am finding prices from $50 up to $200. Anywhere I can get a decent helm at a good price? And do I need to replace the cables? They function well and turn the motor freely.

Next, the color I found is so far, only available in rattle can. But I want to seal the hull with that thick, high gloss type finish. Recs on that idea?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119408

FirstCavArmyVet,

WELCOME ABOARD, 1st Team.
(I'm a retired USACIDC guy, so we have a few OD Green folks here.)

Some photos would help a bunch & we have some REAL EXPERTS on restoration on this forum, who WILL help you.
(I'm decidedly NOT an expert on anything but finding junk boats sitting unloved out in the weeds.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119420

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
OK, so you have a Teleflex or SeaStar QC Safe-T setup now and there is something wrong with the helm but the cables are good? I have this steering on one of my boats and I like it a lot. It is simple to install, easy to steer and reliable (IMHO). It is a good choice for engines up to 50hp or so. You can buy the helm alone and reuse your cables if they are of the QC type.
One source is Wholesalemarine.com

I have only purchased the SeaStar kits which include the helm, cables and all the hardware. If you buy the helm alone, I believe you will have to re-use the helm mounting hardware from your existing setup. That is something you might want to find out before purchase.

-JerryF

Re:Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119421

JerryF,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119468

Re:Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119469

Re:Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119492

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
From the picture of the back of the helm, it looks to me like you have the early version of the Safe-T helm. If the steering is original to a 1966 boat, the early version would be right since Teleflex (SeaStar) changed the design in 1968. The newer Safe-T QC version uses a pin to hold the cable in the helm, it does not screw on as it looks like yours does (thus the "QC" Quick Connect name).

Getting into the dirty details of what works with what, my knowledge is limited. :( However, I believe there is an adapter to convert screw on cable ends to the QC type. That would allow use of your old cables with a new Safe-T QC helm. Or you could try to find one of the old style helms. Or go to an NFB type helm (which uses the screw on end). Or buy a whole Safe-T QC kit with cables and everything you need in one box. Or maybe something I haven't thought of.

Good Luck, :)

The source of information: www.seastarsolutions.com/

JerryF

Re:Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119537

Well I definatley have no quarrel replacing the entire system, but finding one that I can afford is going to be fun. I need to replace pretty much all of the chrome, lighting, and windows. I know of a glass shop here in Venice that may be able to custom make the two windscreens.

Re:Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119564

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Here is the best place I have found for sourcing new rotary helms, they've got the best prices around and reasonable shipping fees.

www.wholesalemarine.com/steering-helm-for-safe-t-quick-connect-steering-cables-by-teleflex.html

(Most of the new helms come with the adapter mentioned above.)

Mark

Re:Ok it's HELM TIME!!! need input here 8 years 8 months ago #119571

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Thanks for the helpful link!

Dr.Go! (Mark)

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle