• Page:

TOPIC: Arkansas Traveler needs motor

Arkansas Traveler needs motor 8 years 8 months ago #118902

• rip fc3
  • rip fc3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Heres the deal....after a few years of working on and off I finally found a motor that would work perfectly, a late 80's classic fifty with power trim to replace the rusted 70's omc 50hp that I removed. It had a classic look but modern enough to find parts and has trim. I drove 2 hours away and checked it out. The motor looked great, low hours started right up on old fuel. Everything was there. I was so excited to get this thing in the water for labor day 2015. I dropped it off at a local mechanic(whom I use often with my other boats) to get a fresh water pump installed and carbs rebuilt. I got a call that cylinder #4 only had compression of 40psi and it was not worth fixing.

so.. I am hoping for a little guidance or better yet if you or anyone you know has a good running remote controlled engine 25-50hp I would be very interested. I am willing to travel anywhere around VA, NE NC or MD to find a good running older motor for my little boat. I know there are a bunch of us in VA, NC, GA and PA.

Help a Glassic boat guy out?

if your interested check out the original thread here
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/ark-traveler-new-post-old-thread-updated-10-2-13

IMG_0735 by Bryce Collier , on Flickr

IMG_0742 by Bryce Collier , on Flickr

IMG_0738 by Bryce Collier , on Flickr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Arkansas Traveler needs motor 8 years 8 months ago #118930

Hi,
I may be making some false assumptions here, but if you have not disassembled the Merc 45 enough to determine the damage, it might be that it can be well repaired with a piston. It is possible that a cylinder block may also be required (we have one if needed), but the crankshaft and pistons need to be removed to determine what is needed, and then make a judgement. You may want to think about this seriously, as if this is a short shaft model with power trim (the power trim can be seen in the pictures), it is indeed very difficult to find very clean vintage appearing outboards of this horsepower. As to purchasing a smaller horsepower instead, I think that you will be very disappointed by very likely going with smaller piston displacement (cubic inches), and mostly two-cylinders designs, in comparison to what you presently have when in good service condition.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online