• Page:

TOPIC: Steering cable question

Steering cable question 8 years 8 months ago #118819

• peoriaone
  • peoriaone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Restoring a 1959 alumacraft and need to replace the steering cable. Are the cables in these old boats special or just coated cable? Do I just go to farm and fleet or Menards? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Steering cable question 8 years 8 months ago #118820

peoriaone,

Most any hardware or home improvement store has perfectly acceptable covered cable. = Take a piece with your for size, is my suggestion.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Steering cable question 8 years 8 months ago #118825

As you painted the boat red and white, I'd suggest you look for red vinyl coated wire. I've seen it used on a couple of tin boats and it looks great.

I used the generic stuff satx suggested from an ACE Hardware. Fairly easy to find in multiple diameters

Re: Steering cable question 8 years 8 months ago #118829

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
What you really need is called "tiller rope"/"tiller cable" or just "wire rope" with a vinyl coating.

Don't use clothesline-type stuff, it'll work for a while but might rust and break. And it's nowhere near as strong as a proper marine-grade or aircraft-grade wire.

Marine-grade tiller rope comes in stainless and also galvanized steel, and as you'll see at this website I found, their 1/8" galvanized cable has a 1700 lb breaking load, with 3/16" having a breaking load of 4200 lb! That's some purty strong stuff. Not cheap I bet!

www.miamicordage.com/product/7x19-galvanized-tiller-cable/

Be sure that whatever cable you buy has a breaking strength listed, since that will vary depending on mfr and application.

Not to mention that there is a lot of cheap stuff coming from China and I wouldn't trust my life to sub-standard material.

Many hits on Amazon, including red-jacketed cable:

www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A16310091%2Ck%3Astainless+wire+rope+%28vinyl\c+coated%29&page=2&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords=stainless+wire+rope+%28vinyl%2C+coated%29&ie=UTF8&qid=1452677401&ajr=2

Change the query from "stainless" to "galvanized" for more results.

Here's some red tiller cable with 2000 lb breaking strength from an American mfr that specializes in the stuff, for a very reasonable price:

www.amazon.com/Loos-Galvanized-Coated-Breaking-Strength/dp/B0050K369C

HTH........ed

Re:Steering cable question 8 years 8 months ago #118831

• peoriaone
  • peoriaone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for all the suggestions. This is not for the red Starcraft but using red cable on that one would be a great idea. This is my second restore. Found a 1959 Alumacraft Deep C at an estate auction and got it for $300. Took a little work to get it running but the fat fifty is humming now. Used Gords aluminum polish to restore, stuff works great. Here are some pics

www.dropbox.com/sh/32sgw9f1qugv7j0/AAAIbscRUsmMpJ9zI24C3dlza?dl=0

along with the stock photo from 1959

Re:Steering cable question 8 years 8 months ago #118877

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Nice!! Good bargain too. I see the 50 has a generator also, sweet find. You might want to change those two drive belts though. I got stuck/stranded out in deep water when the belt on my distributor parted ways, had to be towed in....hence the name on my boat "pull toy"
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online