Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fiberform

Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118477

Hello Im new to the forum and glad to be here. Im from Yakima Wa. I have the Flying Scott Boat someone posted in Sightings. My boat is a 66 14 ft Fiberform runabout with an 88 Mercury 90 hp 3 banger. And it does move,scary at first. Im wondering if anyone has any more info on that boat.In the sites library there is some very limited info. Im gettin the feelin Fiberform was nt all that popular. It is a good little boat though I like the lines looks fast even on the trailer.The title says its a runabout series/Body POGPR. Anyone know what that means? The mfg plate says its rated for a 65 hp. It had a 65 merc 65 hp 4 cyl on it. That motor was heavier than the 90. I was lookin for a fast little runabout I could fix up and go fast with. Id just like more info on it. If anyone has any ideas please lemme know. Also am looking for a complete lower unit for a 100 hp Merc 6 cyl. Late 60s I think 68 69, at a resonable price or trade.Im into antique motors and have a Martin 60 Mercury Super 5 Johnson 2.5 and an 18 hp Johnson twin. Im glad to be a member now and a Happy New year to all you fellow boat nutz Thanks Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118479

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Dave, glad to have you join us. There are quite a few good threads on Fiberforms here, if you'll type Fiberform in the "Search Forum" box above it will bring them all up for you to peruse!

For Mercury parts and service you've got one of the best in the business in your neck of the woods, Dr. Thom Frankenmerc. I'm sure he'll be along shortly to give you a hand, plus lots of other knowledgeable folks here to help when you need it.

Mark

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118481

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome Dave, always glad to see a newbie.

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118484

Welcome aboard Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118485

Welcome Dave!
I probably have any and everything you might need for most vintage Merc inline-6 & 4 cylinder.
Do you need a long shaft or short shaft lower unit for the 1000ss??
doc F
Attachments:

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118487

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Doc, looks like you went dumpster diving at the Merc plant in Fon du lac, WI :laugh:

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118499

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
I consider myself amongst the blessed Minions who have been able to make a pilgrimage to the Doc's shop!

And yeah, the Doc's got a couple of lower units just kicking around in the Back 40!!!! :P

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118500

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave, does your boat have a flat bottom or a "vee"? I had a '69 runabout with the vee-hull, it came with a 65 Merc that I fixed up and sold.

Then built a 100 hp for it, man that boat would rip! It had a pretty strong transom and handled the power very well for such a short boat. Certainly not for beginners though! It would go 37 mph in the lake with the old 65hp, about 45 with the 100 hp and a ski prop.

We skied a ton on that boat in the mid-80's until I upgraded to a 1350 Merc on a Sidewinder SS. My brohther & I had the ol' Fiberform up to 50 on the lake one time. The water was all glass on 1st pass but on the way back, she started to chine-walk on the ripples! Fast enough I reckon for the hull.

Your 90-3 would have just about the same power as my old 1000 Merc, use a lot less gas and much quieter. A little rougher at idle, but they do sound like half-an-Inline!

Post a pic or 2 if you can.

Cheers........ed

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118502

Howdy all.Thanks for the welcome. Ed my Fiberform is a V hull a 1966. I re inforced the transom with alum diamond plate and an angle piece on top and its solid as a rock. Wanted as strong as could be with the extra power, it has power trim too. I took it out the first time and man it flys.I scared my son s---less. The river runs next to a high way and we were passing cars.Am running a stock alum 17 ''pitch prop.Plenty of pull so I may try a 19 pitch. I was in a hurry and mounted it like three holes too low and there was lots of spray and drag, looked cool but be easy to raise it up three holes. Speedo said 48 but with all that drag I know Ill be over 50 mph when I correct it. 50 +is fast enough for a 14 footer. The 90 runs really well and has low hours so I expect many hours of fun. They are bullet proof,a really good Mercury engine those 3 bangers. Im going to paint, carpet and get seats if I can sell the Flying Scott boat and Flying Scott motor to pay for it all.Ill post pictures later right now its covered with a foot of snow. Can hardly wait to get to the lake. More later Dave

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118503

Fbrfrm65,

WELCOME ABOARD. = NIFTY hull too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Fiberform 8 years 9 months ago #118514

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave, this was in fact a very popular hull and they sold a lot of 'em in the PNW.

My good boating buddy bought a '76 Fiberform 14' and ended up putting an old 90hp V4 on it. The bottoms of both boats were identical, but the newer boat had a more "modern" top to it, with a squared-off walk-thru windshield. Mine with the Merc was faster, of course!

Fiberform eventually became Bayliner, who brought out a 15' "Mosquito" which I believe is just a stretched version of the old 14' hull. A really nice boat.

Last summer I scored a 1990 Merc 50hp-Triple with PT&T as a rebuild project and I've been looking for a decent small hull to put it on. But hard to find a good deal on these, they are still in high demand up here in the PNW, judging from the prices they're asking on Craigslist!

Here's one for only $3500! :S

seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/5373358316.html

I've got my eye peeled for a winter deal!

Here's a bit o' history from the Fiberglassics library:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Fiberform

No snow over here! :P

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online