Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to FiberGlassics...

New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118253

Hi, just joined FiberGlassics.
We bought our first boat, motor and trailer this past week from Rawhide in New London, Wisconsin.
She's a Larson 41605. Larson has identified it as being a 1967 165 Shark. She has a 1971 Johnson 125 hp.,4cyl.,2 stroke I/O that doesn't have any spark, so that's probably one of the first things I'm going to have to fix... other than that it seems to be in pretty good shape according to the inspection report.
The trailer is a Dilly DCV-16, and it's in good shape except for needing new tires.
We are planning on picking her up in January, so I'll have a better idea of how much work she's going to need to bring her back into shape then. We're living on the Prairies in Canada, so it's a good day or two driving!
I've done a lot of canoeing, but I'm new to the world of runabouts, so I'll be asking lots of questions. Likewise I can do a lot of carpentry work, but it looks like I'll be learning to work with fiberglass!
Here's some "before" pictures...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118254

Monterey,

WELCOME ABOARD. - LOOKS like a nice rig too.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118255

Thanks, Satx- I thought she was good looking too... love the sixties colors! Can't wait to go pick her up and bring her home.
Have a Happy Christmas too!

Re: New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118258

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome aboard. I've bought many many boats from Rawhide, they're less than 50 miles from me. You have to keep in mind that they were donated for a reason, mostly because someone tried to sell them and couldn't get what they wanted in price.
If they say it runs, it does but doesn't mean it won't have any issues so be prepared, soft floor etc.
Looks like you have a long drive ahead of you. Rawhide will provide you with all the necessary paperwork and sales receipts so crossing the boarder shouldn't be a problem.
Word of advice.....keep the parrot at home, I was held up at the Canada U.S. boarder for three days when I came back from Nova Scotia with our pet Amazon. No problem going north but U.S. customs need a pile of paperwork :(
Best of luck on your new project, keep us posted.
cal

Re: New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118260

Montery,

Silly me. I never thought for a second that your rig was "60s colors". = Here in GOD'S COUNTRY that is UT LONGHORN's ORANGE & WHITE.
(Cut me & I bleed BURNT ORANGE.)

CHUCKLE, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118262

Monterey, welcome aboard, glad to have you here and very nice find!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118263

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Welcome aboard Monterey.

Nice boat. Our family friends had this very boat in yellow when new. No power trim on their's, so their son would tilt it to the 4th notch and with 2 people on board, the 200lbd kid could hit 40mph and barefoot ski. Lots of room. I used the "Flitz" product to remove the faded sunshine haze from the finish of the boat and was pleased with the results...it brought back the color from hazing look. I bought my boat (1958 Wilson)from Rawhide...about an hour from me. Have a safe trip...likely they would be sure to show you bearing condition on their reports and you can see the tires. If no spares, most Fleet Farm (or Farm Fleet in some areas) have mounted trailer tires of all sizes ready to go (unless it has spares, or you have your own). Rawhide Sales on e-bay is a great place to find affordable fixer uppers and often a nice Glassic!

Dr.Go!

Dr.Go!

Re: New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118266

Hi Cal, thanks for the advice! I figured for what I paid for her she'll need some work.
I made the mistake of bidding on a 1976 Crestliner 775 Muskie that was going for less than half the price of this one without reading the inspection report- I thought at least the trailer should be worth that. Finally figured out that I needed to download the dropbox app to read the inspection report on my phone. It REALLY needed a lot of work! Thankfully I was outbid in the last hour, and I was able to make a more informed bid on the Larson.
Our parrotlet died last year so I don't have to worry about taking him over the border. Getting a sitter for the dog.
What did you think of Nova Scotia? I only spent 24 hours thumbing through there six years ago. Spent the night in Springhill (where Anne Murray is from) in jail voluntarily, but that's another story!

Re: New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118267

Hey, Satx- I love burnt orange and white! No, I grew up more in the seventies- I was only six in the summer of love.
Never had a Longhorn, I think it's too cold for them here, but I had an Angus named Jill...

Re: New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118268

Thanks, Bob, pleased to meet you. I appreciate that- I thought she was sure cool too. I googled Larson 165 Shark and came across a story showing an optional top they used to make that essentialy turned the boat into a floating camper! I wonder if they have the pattern for that in their archives... I have the bimini top with this one anyway.

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118269

Hi Dr.Go!
Yellow would be really nice.
So they can really haul! I kinda thought with that 125 hp Johnson fixed up she should move.
I'll look into getting some of that Flitz, thanks.
According to the inspection report the trailer is towable, the coupler and axle are good, the lights work, and the bearings are serviced. Tires are cracked, though, so I was planning on changing them before I towed her home. I was getting some prices here, but I'd probably be better off buying them in America, so thank- you for the information. I'll try checking Farm Fleet online. It would be nice to have them on rims.
Yes, Rawhide sure has some cool stuff- it would be a dangerous place if I ever had any money!

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118270

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Regarding the Flitz, I tried a free sample next to where someone had buffed with rubbing compound. Though I did not see how the previous owner buffed one spot and gave up, but I tested right next to that spot and was amazed mine looked better. I only uses one of those dish sponges with the more aggressive soft scrubber on the other side using one pass of "waxing" motion and wiped off...I guess it would depend on the boat, but yours looked pretty much like mine in your pictures and I am just thrilled with the results. Flitz sells spray wax too (likely many boat waxes out there too to protect after use). Just my 2 cents...others may have better ideas and products...I just tried it due to my lack of professional skills to try and use a buffer and compound or wet sanding and felt I would not wreck it. Sounds like you are ready for the trip...best wishes! They only got that speed when they could free up that hull by setting the trim higher...normally this hull looks like it is a little slower with most of the bottom in the water, but a solid tracker, great skier, good family hauler. Cool idea if you can make that canopy complete for overnights or rain protection.

Dr.Go!

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118271

Welcome , great find , The burnt orange is cool !! I have a 75 glastron in the burnt orange. It'll buff out and really shine !! Enjoy !!!!

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 9 months ago #118272

Thanks, Madbohunk- I really like the colors too- I'll post a picture of the cool upholstery in the stern. I'm going to try and get ahold of some of that Flitz that Dr.Go! was talking about and buff her up real good.
Attachments:

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 4 months ago #123048

Well, we did it! Finally got her home. 4 days, 3275.9 km later, and almost 6 months after we bought her...put new rims and radials on the old Dilly trailer, found the manual for the 125 hp Seahorse in the glovebox, and learned how to tilt the motor for trailering. The people at Rawhide are really cool, they were really patient with us. Now to get her running and get her in the water!

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 4 months ago #123055

Excellent, now dive in there and get her going! lol

Bob

Re:New to FiberGlassics... 8 years 4 months ago #123056

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Glad you made it safely. Keep us posted on your progress. Is it ready to put in the water or do you have to "finesse" it a little.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online