• Page:

TOPIC: Did things change this much?

Did things change this much? 8 years 9 months ago #118081

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Putting a new impeller in a '74 85hp Johnson. Ordered a new 'peller on ebay from a marine dealer in CT. Just came today. It's original OMC part. Comparing it with what I took off the rig I can see lots of differences (other than the set) Biggest thing that sticks out is the size of the bronze insert, much larger and beefier than the one that was in there. Also the one I removed seems much softer/bendable than others I've removed. Wondering if it's a comparison of original manufacture to cheap imitation.
Thoughts??

Another question is the keyway. The one removed has a round cylinder shaped key, the new impeller is squared off. The driveshaft is flat, What am I missing here??

Another thought here. The LU is silver in color VS the white color of the motor and leg. Did someone pull a switch??
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Did things change this much? 8 years 9 months ago #118140

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
By no means an expert here Cal, but I've worked on numerous OMC V4 units from 1972-78 - none of which had the key looking rounded/flat like that!

I usually try to run O.E. impellers, the quality is just better and not that big of a difference in price IMHO. No telling what brand was in there?

Not much help I know, sorry.......

Mark

Re:Did things change this much? 8 years 9 months ago #118141

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Right on Mark, If not original I've used Sierra with out problems. I've had a driveshaft like this before but the insert key, if that's what it's called, fit the flat part of the shaft. The roller type key seems like a working integral part and the rounded part on the old impeller tell me this is a matching set of some sort. The OE impeller worked with the round key but I had to file down the square edges and bevel them to fit the round shape, not a problem. I've come to the conclusion this was not the '74 LU but was changed at sometime with another. Just for curiosity I'll check Marineengine.com parts just to see what model it is.

Found it...from a 1980 LU, also used on 2011 300hp models.
Amazing how parts can be interchanged.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online