Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flying Scott

Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117913

Hello,
I came across a Flying Scott in used condition at least. Seems solid and has a 90 HP MeteorII Johnson. The motor checks out as a 1965 and the boat was presented as such. My ? for now is where did these beauties hide the data plate, or HIN?

Thanks , Malcat
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117916

No HIN in the 60s, but data plate is likely near the helm or on the transom.

Never seen an outboard cover like that to make it look sort of like an I/O.

Not remotely an expert on Flying Scotts. Good luck, looks like a nice project

Re: Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117917

Thanks for the reply.
I too know not much about these other than a little I've read on this forum but they are unique if nothing else. The structure seems strong ,but a little buff and luck, you never can tell.
thanks again jbcurt00

Re: Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117924

your scott was most likely sold new with a scott outboard as a package....built under contract by the red fish boat company....if they did the scotts like they did the red fish, it may have the production number upside down inside the transom....it also could be a 1962 or 63....john

Re: Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117928

I'll have to get into it. I kinda thought they had control of their motor package as you suggest, but it seems that nearly all boat manufactuer 's did a lot of horse trading to keep things going.

redfishpirates, my thanks

Re: Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117966

Cool looking boat!!
Would like to see more pics.
Gene

Re: Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117982

I'll post some pix. It is different,seems pretty solid though neglected. The gent who had it protected it by storing alot of ,,,,,,treasure in it. He claimed he drained every time it rained , and the deck seems solid.

Ignore the red "light bar" across the motor hood. That is my fail safe for trailer lights as those rarely work.

I rolled home in a state of meditation as the tires were very questionable. I did buy a spare at HF , so I beat the odds on the interstate, slid into home "safe"!

Also as jbcurt00 said , the data plate is in the motor well. I didn't get my head squeezed in there yet, but FWIW, it's in there.
The 90 HP MeteorII seems "free" to spin at the flywheel, but the control package is in many pieces so I have little hope of that assembly coming back to life.

oh, well. Tomorrow is another day.
Attachments:

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117986

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
www.spanagel.net/Event-Photos/Tomahawk-Nationals/Tomahawk-2015/Arena/i-4p4CZsD/A

I never knew of these "Scott" boats until I saw the ones in the link above in the 2015 Tomahawk, Wi show. Your boat is WAY cool and now I am trying to remember if I saw another one months back on Craigslist in Mn, or Wi. My grandma lived across the street from Scott dealer in the 60's (we looked across at the back boat yard behind the fence in our little town. Dad, brother and I always walked across to see what changed each time and I think we tried to identify every new thing about boating that we had learned from dad...great times!)

Best wishes putting this rig back into service!
Dr.Go! (Mark)- one more link for the Scott fans!

www.spanagel.net/Event-Photos/Tomahawk-Nationals/Tomahawk-2015/Arena/i-FQF7Q3d/A

Dr.Go!

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 10 months ago #117987

Thanks for the link, Dr.Go
Some pretty beautiful machinery.
The fellow I got this from claimed it was made in AZ. I know Mr. McCullough (sp?) had a lot to do with the London Bridge and other such activities in the Laughlin/ Bullhead area ( so I heard, anyway). Maybe I can twist my neck far enough to see if it says on the data plate.
But, it seems there was a lot of sub contracting, horse trading, etc. in the boat building business from the start, so when Scott and Atwater and others became involved I am sure must be documented and is always of interest to me how these love-hate / acts of desperation mergers come about, esp. in days gone by.
I think I can at least get it back in operation without going overboard. The bank roll requires moderation, but I am thrilled just to putter and save some of these at any level.
Thanks to all for the good will and information. But a hood over the outboard? Can't get too much cooler than that!
Later,malcat

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #117994

Your boat is a 1962 for sure. Its the only year they had the hard fiberglass motor well cover. The ID tag is located in the motor well on the left side and looks like this. These are pictures of my 17D Scott Boat. I do have this up for sale and its a solid boat but no one seems to be interested in scott boats anymore. I thought $800 was a fair price because the boat is water worthy and the trailer is nice too. I figured $500 for the boat and $300 for the trailer. If it don't go soon its fate is getting scrapped and sell off the parts off the boat and sell the trailer. Not how I wanted to see this go. My goal was to keep these old girls out of the land fill. But I need to down size bad.
Malcat, I am sure I have a control for that motor so contact me if thats what your going to run. I have one short shaft scott left too if you interested in that. Hard to find the wire harness for those is all.
Attachments:

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #117996

Holy crap at the boats. .

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #117997

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Minnesota , if the shipping wouldn't eat me alive, I'd be very interested in a good '63 johnson 75 hp electric shift for a spare. Jim

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #117998

Nice looking Scott!
Thanks Minnesota. If you have a usable controller that would be a giant step in the right direction. I would like to use the Meteor II mostly just because it is there. It has sat for some time, but it's had a hood over it!
I worked my head in there and also got a pic.
MN 17 A
SN 61024

Not sure how that reads compared to yours, but that's what I have .
Attachments:

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118000

Malcat,
Well it was made in 61 so its a 62 and yours is the standard model and mine is the deluxe. Not much difference in them really. More creature comforts. Post a Pic of your controls please. There are 2 it could be. One is push button and the other a single lever control.

Jim sorry just some parts for them nothing running but my own stuff.

Redneck so ya want to see boats huh. Well here is the stats for ya. at our peak we had 120+ 50 in the museum and 70 projects. Sold off over 50 in 3 years after closing the museum and want to off another 20 or more. Engines well there was over 200 here and that is down to about 100 give or take. Lots of parts motors so they are all going to ebay. Well here is some of the most resent pics I took of the back row. Not counting my collection of boats that I will never sell. I have about 30ish that will stay with me. At any given time we have 50+ boats here either owned by us or customers stuff.
Attachments:

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118001

There's a reason American pickers don't hang out in the South. We don't have that much of any antique in one place. I'm into trucks, cars, tractors, engines, anything old and mechanical. There's just not fields full down here.
You're museum sure would have been neat to see.
What i be found out though is there is no fun in not using the past. I will not do a car show with my truck, I'll do cruise ins. I quit collecting stationary Briggs and strattons, lausons and such when I built my boat and found outboards. I love using the antiques and enjoying them.

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118004

Minnesota,I'll post some pix of the control, although it is in many pieces, but you will likely know what to look for. It seems not to have the 3 buttons like is on my "72" 85HP Starflite, but hard to say what might be missing.
Thanks for the help!
So it looks like there was a key switch, a choke, and a horn , and cigar lighter.
That fuse block with the 3 fuses makes me think there may be a 3 button "selectric" type shifter that has been trashed or may be back in the stern yet. I haven't done the phase one "dung out" yet on the Flying Scott.
Thanks again Minnesota, and everyone that's shared.
malcat

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118007

Dr. Go!,

Thanks for posting Ned's pics of Tomahawk show. I was there as well and spent some time drooling over the Flying Scott boats, especially the runabout what a beauty.
In fact if you scan the pics my 63 Shell Lake Tempest (black & white no #s can be seen in the background of a few shots). I had just picked it up and the period correct trailer was in the shop for tires bearings lights ect.

Gene

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118009

Malcat,
First off the control you have is a scott control and somewhat rare so put that aside and the ignition dash plate is rare too so stash that too. Your missing about all the shift side to that scott control so again just put it aside. The ignition switch is early chrysler so that aint gonna work either. Ruffly what some one did was try to cobble the scott control to work with the johnson. NOT gonna happen. Here are pics of what you need to get. Provided the wireharness for the johnson is not butchered. See picture. Now you need to look at the harness that comes from the motor switch box. You should have a harness that goes from the motor to the box and another that goes to the front of the boat. IF you have neither then you got issues up the wazoo lol. IF you post pictures of what is coming out of the motor and what harness is in the boat back by the motor I can figure out what you need. I am guessing everything. Here is one of the correct controls for that motor. Remember there are 2 styles that will work with it. This is the push button type.
Bob
Attachments:

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118012

I'll have to get out and shoot some pix in the AM and see what it's like , harness to motor.
I almost bet it's OEM and some one tried rig as you suggest.
The Johnson Meteor II is # V4 ML-11c, which I believe is a 1965 unit, so the OEM engine must have gotten trashed early on and the Johnson put on. ? All guess work now, but thanks for your help and knowledge and I will try to fill in some blanks with pix and see what makes sense.
Thanks again,
malcat

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118025

Minnesota, I added a number of pix, some better than others, but it all more or less makes sense.
The right controller would be so nice.
Thanks,
Malcat

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118048

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mn., wish I had found you 20 years back...looks like you have lots of things and knowledge to help many of us.

Gene, I remember your boat from Tomahawk - very nice! I love that show and now try to go each year.

Dr. Go!

Dr.Go!

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118054

Ok Malcat I see some of the wires have been spliced and for the most part that is ok. Next is to follow the motor harness into the boat and this should go to a large box. Open up the box and get a picture of that so I can see what they did if anything. Next the wires leaving going forward is next. I am looking for where they chopped up the wire harness. There are 3 wires that control forward, neutral and reverse that should have a connector as well but this will be at the front of the boat. My fear is that they butchered the harness at the box. I hope not. IF they did it up front thats ok well its not ok but the forward harness can be replaced and the correct control installed. Before we go any further does the motor turn over and if so get a compression test done. No point fixing this if the motor is a turd. But the good news is I have a 85hp on my scott that is for sale for $500 and comes with everything. Lets see how the comp test comes back first.

Well Doc I have the largest collection of Span and Span America boats here. I have had some really beautiful boats for sure. I have been a member of this website for many years. I have donated a ton of time to many all over the US trying to fix up this stuff. Our boats have been in the calendars for the last 6 years.

My number one pet peeve is guys that put garbage paint on boats, Rustolum and that bright sides crap. CHEAP Is not better lol. I use top grade gelcoat or polyurethane paint period. I want stuff that will last. Rollers and paint brushes are for painting your house or your barn and don't belong on boats! When I look at this classic Scott boat and see paint pealing off all over it just proves my point. I did a motor for a guy this spring and he had a boat painted with Bright sides on the top and interlux on the bottom. The paint was pealing off everywhere and the boat never saw the water since it was painted. Sad looking classic glasscraft.

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118056

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
The SCOTT boats and display belongs to Todd Smetts,the runabout was mine ,I sold it to him last year,,great boat but not weird enough and I needed room.that boat is completely original and I was told it was only used 10 times or less, the trailer was repainted,but it is better than pics,it is a great scott display,Bill

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118060

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Here is a pic of my 15ft Scott, totally original except we did the vinyl deck,Bill
Attachments:

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118064

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mn.,

Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts about how to best restore my glassic 1958 Wilson (of Rice Lake, Wi by George Wilson)...meaning - not to sell it short. Though I am fairly new here (and therefore have not seen all of your calendar pictures yet), I have been reading as much information as I can and reading as many pertinent threads as I can so that I can treat my restoration with the best effort I can give it...so thanks to so many of you who already have helped me with professional guidance. I have been rounding up materials (Marine plywood, proper tools, list of techniques, and writing out a "dry run" sequence of all that needs to be in place before I even start). I have already avoided several potential mistakes before even starting! I have family in La Crosse, so I may have to look you up and see if you could be an addition to my road-trip. (you can't buy what you don't know about or see :) )

Bill - regarding the pictures you added...WOW, WOW! love this scott cowl feature, walkthrough/tip windshield, tandem trailer...I could look at that all day!

Thanks guys - this all gets me fired up to do a better job on my project...I do want mine to last when done. Dr. Go!

Dr.Go!

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118080

Minnesota,
Just for the record, I find NO box, such as a relay box or whatever you suggested might be there. Just cut and hacked wiring. The motor does turn by hand by flywheel, but I didn't dig deeper, as the weather is wet and cold ( for us ) but I should have a chance to get some compression # this week.

As always, thanks to all for the help and pretty pictures. I appreciate and enjoy it all.
later, malcat

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118082

Dr.Go!,

I saw the Rice Lake reference and just had to say I had a great friend and employee from there. He was the hardest working and a really swell guy most of the time. I haven't seen him for a while.
Born into a dairy farm, if you can believe that!
Off the point, but thanks for the trigger to think of my old friend.
Best of all on your projects.
malcat

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118088

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
malcat wrote:

Minnesota,
Just for the record, I find NO box, such as a relay box or whatever you suggested might be there. Just cut and hacked wiring. The motor does turn by hand by flywheel, but I didn't dig deeper, as the weather is wet and cold ( for us ) but I should have a chance to get some compression # this week.

As always, thanks to all for the help and pretty pictures. I appreciate and enjoy it all.
later, malcat

65 moddels didn't have the box. The voltage regulator and diodes for the alternator are mounted on the powerhead. I have some parts off a 65 75 rude. If you need them.

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118093

Thanks JimL,
I'll see if the beast will spin with 12v. I may take you up on parts, the buttons I think are the main thing, and I have seen guys toggle past them, but simpler is better.

Thank you,
malcat

Re:Flying Scott 8 years 9 months ago #118099

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
malcat, the push button shifter is actually for an Evinrude. Johnsons like yours came with the single lever electric shifter. But of course they will interchange. I have a push button shifter too if your motor pans out and others can't help you with that. In fact I have a wiring harness for a '65 evinrude 75 hp also. I'd need to check it out as I don't remember it's condition.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online