Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Universal fuel gauges?

Universal fuel gauges? 8 years 10 months ago #117878

So I've been shopping around and piecing together a dash/cluster for my Magnolia. So far, I've gotten vintage matching marine tach and speedo, and a 12v 1950s dash clock.

Question is, if I get a fuel gauge also will it work with a non matching tank/ sending unit? Do they all work the same? Full is full gauge empty is no gauge..

Referring to electric gauges, not mechanical.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Universal fuel gauges? 8 years 10 months ago #117883

All the 12V fuel gauges use a universal sending unit that runs from about 33 ohms to 240 ohms.

Re:Universal fuel gauges? 8 years 10 months ago #117891

So are all tank sending units universal to be paired w any fuel gauge? (When adjustwd/sized accurately for the specific tank)
In this case a tank from a donor boat w existing/original s unit that came in it.

Or is something special about a "universal sending unit" bc it can be adjusted or calibrated to accept diff gauge Ohm parameters?

Re:Universal fuel gauges? 8 years 10 months ago #117893

Should work fine, unless the gauge is out of calibration. Set it up and test at 1/4, 1/2/ and full = so you know if accurate.

Re:Universal fuel gauges? 8 years 10 months ago #117912

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The "universal" adjustment would have to do with the depth of your tank, the ohm rating will be the same on most all marine gauges. Make sure you select a MARINE sending unit, they have an additional ground that the automotive units do not have.

Mark

Re:Universal fuel gauges? 8 years 10 months ago #117915

Ten4. I'll be using an antique marine gauge and a tank with unit from a newer donor boat I stole the trailer from. If the unit is trash I'll probably order one to replace it stock using the donor boats information.

Re:Universal fuel gauges? 8 years 10 months ago #117958

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
If you are looking for accuracy get one of the newer inductive units instead of the old float on an arm units. Those old units were horribly inaccurate. The new ones are less affected by sloshing and the motion of the boat, and they are not any more expensive. To order one you need to know the depth of the tank in inches. WEMA is probably the number one maker of these units (all types) wemausa.com/ but you can get them through almost any marine supply seller.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Universal fuel gauges? 8 years 10 months ago #117959

Not so much worried about accuracy, but if I do need a new unit, then it looked like $60 will get me one of those. Nice link "ike". Very in depth website. Looked like quality stuff.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online