Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this?

Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116807

Hello,

We purchased this boat and I'm trying to learn a bit about it and how to find out more about it. I'd like to get the engine water running again and the wiring re-done, ourselves if possible. Is it possible? Is there books that would be suggested?

I've been told it's a 1972. It has a Mercury 1400, inline V6 the wires are decaying though. I'm told it has 3 separate carburetors that all would need rebuilt. We were told it was last on the water in 2002.

Am I looking at a total nightmare?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116809

I actually cannot figure out how to add pictures!!! :(

Re: Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116810

ladymidnight1,

FIRST, WELCOME ABOARD. = You have found the RIGHT PLACE for REALLY expert advice &help.
(Fwiw, I'm NOT an expert but we have LOTS of them here & someone will help you.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116811

Thank you.

You wouldn't by chance know how to add pictures? Kinda pointless for my post without them :woohoo:

Re: Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116814

welcome lady, at the bottom of this post you will see a reply button....hit it (not the quick reply) you will see browse buttons at the bottom to browse your files....find your pics...they can't be more than 2040 by 2040 so you may have to resize...just do one pic then post...you will see an edit button, so hit it then browse and do another pic...some of us do the chat room wed nite at 7 central....hope to see you there...john

Re: Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116819

That doesn't seem to be working. I resized it and tried another browser. I get the option to attach but it doesn't attach it.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116820

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've had trouble too posting pics here. I've had better luck posting pics from photobucket directly into the text of the posts on this site.If you have a photobucket account, that works better.

Re: Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116821

If I post from computer it usually works (provided the pictures aren't too large), if I post from my phone it works about every third try.

Re: Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116822

I'm from a computer. I forgot about photo bucket!

They are all out of order that I put them in, but alas they are at least able to see.

s659.photobucket.com/user/lady_midnight/slideshow/Bell%20Boy

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116824

Those inline six "Tower of Power" engines have, in my experience, been really great engines. Had a '78 900 on an 82 hull. In 2008 the hull (Sea Swirl) was scrapped, but the engine still ran beautifully.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116825

That's good to know. I need to learn everything about it, for sure what I'm looking into etc. It's safe to guess since it hasn't been on the water since 2002 it probably hasn't been ran since either.

How do I start? I don't know anything and Google isn't much help.

I need to find the vin or I think it's hin number? I couldn't find anything anywhere near the engine. I just went back out and it's also got a sliding hard top. I'll add a few pictures as I know nothing, if someone would be so kind to give me a 101 that would be great!

Could I (knowing nothing about boats) get the engine up and running myself? Are there books you'd recommend? Is it possible it could start now without work? I know the gas tank is disconnected for storage, and Mr said it needs the steering rewired. I was able to see inside the engine too and some wires in there need replaced. I'll put all those pictures up too. Mr isn't much help, he would love it running but we do not have the thousands we were guessed it would take to get it back on the water.

s659.photobucket.com/user/lady_midnight/library/Bell%20Boy?sort=6&page=1

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116826

The first thing for sure is you need to remove the lower unit and replace the water pump (impeller) This is NOT that hard to do. Just a few bolts etc. Should be a video on YouTube to show you how. Next would be to check for any and all frayed wires and get them either replaced or patched up so you don't get any shorts! Replace the Spark Plugs. Squirt some 50-1 mixed fuel into the spark plug holes before you replace the plugs and hook a battery up and cycle the motor a few revs to lube the cylinders a bit. If you send me the Serial # to the motor I will send you a link to the Service Manual for the Motor.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116827

Where on the engine do I find that? I'm happy to go get a picture of it!

Is there a good place to get parts? The link I added a picture, there is one of the wires under the cover of the engine. It goes from what I think is the starter to the spark plugs that would need to be replaced at least. At this point since I'm the one wanting to do it and would likely be the one actually doing the repair, replacing is probably best. Carburetors I can make Mr rebuild though. Could I pull the spark plug that's in it now to see what kind it is? Or are there special plugs? -- I only have a bit of knowledge with cars, so this is a whole new game and language for me.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116832

the first thing I would do is get a can of seafoam from a parts store (with the straw on it), take the spark plugs out and spray the cylinders well...then with the plugs out, see if it turns over and is not froze from sitting....take a pic of the inside of each plug and post it here as the color, condition, etc can tell a lot about what shape the motor was in before they quit using it...then start lookin for a manual for your motor if it spins over nicely...john

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116835

How likely could it spin? Pull the plugs, pictures, spray with seafoam, and try to turn it over. First on the list for Saturday hopefully. But.... The gas tank is disconnected, how do I re-connect and would it use regular gas?

I added a few more pictures again. I found this:
media.channelblade.com/EProWebsiteMedia/3506/How%20you%20find%20your%20Mercury%20serial%20number.pdf

But from what I can find I cannot find at all the hull id number or the engine number on the transom at all. I opened the engine case and found some numbers on it and a sticker. I put those pictures up.

Thank you guys for being patient with me. I really feel like an idiot.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116836

we all had to start somewhere....and I was an idiot when I started!!! don't worry, we'll walk you throu it....I think it will use regular but not sure with the 1400 as it is a good sized motor...ALWAYS use premix fuel (unless it is new enough to have an onboard oil system)....2cycle oil and gas...that's how your motor gets its oil...you are not quite ready for the gas tank yet...need to see what condition the motor might be in first, then replace the water pump before starting...john

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116838

Husband says that to even try and check to see if it will spin we will need a battery and cables, plus to flush the fuel lines. I'm still trying to figure out what engine it is for sure. How can I find out what battery and such I can use? Or is there a way around buying a battery for now maybe with a car battery?

Him and our friend said they are willing to try to get it to spin Saturday if we can figure out the rest to get to that point.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116841

He said it has oil in it? Wouldn't you need gas to see if it would spin?

There is no numbers on the transom bracket at all for the engine, is there somewhere inside the cover I could find the serial? That would likely be able to tell me more if it has oil or not.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116847

So the paperwork we were given says it's a 1972 17 foot Amm Bell Boy, "Amm" is no where to be found as a model, they did give a number they referred to as a vin, but I am not finding it on the boat anywhere. I'm at a loss of where to look for the engine. Without knowing the serial on the engine. How would I proceed?

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116878

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Judging from your pics, the Merc is a 1978 140hp Inline Six.

Here's a link to parts diagrams for your engine:

www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/140/5088444-thru-5443029-usa

Your 140hp requires fuel/oil mix at a ratio of 50:1 (16oz oil to six gallons of gas). You can pick up a pint of TCW-3 outboard oil at Walmart, just about any of the brands will do for your testing. Most bottles will have a mix chart on the side for however many gallons of fuel you're mixing up for the test.

A car battery is fine for testing the 140hp. Be REAL CAREFUL when connecting the battery, if you get the red (+) and black (-) cables swapped on the battery, for even a split-second, it'll blow out the rectifier and likely the CDI switchbox.

A good check for the carbs is to pull the brass main jet plugs (one per carb) and then pump fuel to the engine. If each brass plug is clean when you take it out (no nasty green stuff or smelly varnish/crud), and clean fuel flows freely out of each carb when you pump the fuel bulb on your primer/hose assembly, you should be OK to try and test run the motor.

Here's the carb diagram, the main jet plug is part #29 in the drawing, and the gasket (#30) should come with the plug. No need to remove the main jet (#28) itself for the test.

www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/140/5088444-thru-5443029-usa/carburetor-assembly

Probably a good idea to place some paper towels or shop rag to catch the fuel draining out. Be sure to reinstall the main jet plugs/gaskets when you're done with the test!

You'll need a test flusher (aka "muffs") to connect your water hose to the lower unit. Walmart should have an inexpensive one of those.

Don't run the engine for even a second without having water applied. It'll burn up whatever is left of the impeller and damage the water pump.

Best thing to do before cranking over the engine is, as other posters have suggested, to remove all the spark plugs and spray some lubricating oil in each cylinder. WD-40 or similar will do. I like Marvel Mystery oil myself but the WD will do fine. All you're doing is making sure the pistons are not turning over dry. With the plugs out, move the flywheel clockwise (as viewed from the top) a couple of spins. If you can't quite turn it by hand, use a 15/16" socket on the flywheel nut.

If you like you can check for spark at this time. Put all the plugs back in the spark plug wire boots. Ground all of the plugs by laying them against the framework or block, so they will stay put while you're cranking. With water applied to the lower unit, crank over the engine and see if you get spark at the plugs. If you have spark, button it all back up and make preps to run the engine. If you find no spark, it'll require more troubleshooting.

Probably best to do the spark check before you pump fuel into the carbs, no sense in blowing up the engine before you even get it started!

On your frayed wiring, as O.P.'s suggested you can temporarily tape 'em up for testing purposes. To be cut back & spliced or otherwise repaired at a later date.

Here's a generic starting drill for an inline Six:

1) Engine tilted down (i.e. straight up-and-down) to its normal running position.

2) Batt cables properly connected to a "hot" battery;

3) Fuel line connected to engine and primer pumped until it's hard to pump (and maybe a few more after that);

4) Ign Key "OFF"; Shift lever in "Neutral" (straight-up); Fast-idle lever raised until it is approx. straight-up;

5) Flushing "muffs" installed onto the lower unit, water hooked up to the muffs and water flow turned up enough to get some spillage from around the muffs;

6) Push and hold down Choke button; crank over the engine until it fires and runs. Don't crank too long, if it doesn't start within 10 seconds or so, let the starter motor rest at least 30 seconds to prevent its overheating. Once started, let up on the choke button and see if the engine will continue to idle; reapply choke as necessary to keep the engine from stalling.

Note that the fast-idle lever setting is variable and will depend on the engine's adjustments. You may need to move the lever to a higher idle setting to get started. Or it might be too much; if the engine runs too fast, reduce idle speed or shut the engine down if it revs too high on you.

That should do it, goes without saying you need a good tank and hose, if your built-in tank isn't ready for Prime Time, you should be able to find an inexpensive Merc 6-gallon tank on Craigslist in the "Boats" or "Boat Parts" sections. If the tank doesn't have a good hose, you can pick up one of those at Walmart or any Merc/marine dealer. Sometimes even your local NAPA can get you generic parts out of their "SME" (small engines) catalog.

Here are some eBay links that show the female fuel fitting which plugs into the engine, as well as the male fitting which would plug into a portable tank"

Hope that helps, let us know how it goes........ed

p.s. there may be a mfr's metal tag for the boat, up on the driver's side. Most hulls have the HIN (hull id number) cast into the transom so check there as well.

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116906

Wow! Thank you!!

So 3 things to start with. I have quoted what you said with my question following.

"4) Ign Key "OFF";  Shift lever in "Neutral" (straight-up); Fast-idle lever raised until it is approx. straight-up;" -- Is there a way to check the throtte box to see if it will work before we try to spin it?

"Probably best to do the spark check before you pump fuel into the carbs, no sense in blowing up the engine before you even get it started!"
The gas is so old it has turned into turpentine. With what little could be in them (I'm told there are 3 carbs on this) could that be an issue?

"Don't run the engine for even a second without having water applied. It'll burn up whatever is left of the impeller and damage the water pump." --- it wouldn't actually be able to start this way, so would we still need this attached?

Good news I just found out, this was started within the last 3 years! That's all I know, unsure how long they ran it. Our hopes are high!

With help I was able to search and find the manual, I'm ordering the print copy of this:
www.selocmarine.com/product_finder.php?Engine=23006

Re:Bell Boy- Help me learn more about this? 8 years 11 months ago #116961

Thank you all!!

So I talked to the local marine store I could find, they were able to find after market Sierra parts for when we are ready.

The cracking I spoke about during the chat I posted more pictures I took a look around the boat too and found a few gel coat chips doesn't look deeper though.

Still need to get some clear silicone to drill, but we covered the boat and the engine with a tarp today to help with the damage as we thought it was going to snow yesterday. Not sure if we'll get to looking at it until it thaws :( I am excited to try this out!

Gel coat repair, easy to figure out?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online