Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: West Bend

West Bend 8 years 11 months ago #116632

Hello, I got willed grandads old boat, not sure what to do with it. Was wondering if the motor has any value. Its a West Bend 45HP golden shark. Last run about 8 years ago. boat and trailer are in rough shape.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:West Bend 8 years 11 months ago #116646

Help us out with a few more pictures, please. What may look like very rough shape to you is probably an easy "sprucing up" to the guys on this site. Thanks....

Re: West Bend 8 years 11 months ago #116647

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.,

WELCOME ABOARD. = WEST BEND outboards are decent outboards BUT they are NOT easy to find parts for as OMC & MERCURY outboard parts ARE.
(West Bend sold out to Chrysler Corporation in 1965.)

YES, post some GOOD photos, if you have some. ====> LOTS of REAL EXPERTS on a variety of subjects here on FG.
(I'm NOT one of the experts.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: West Bend 8 years 11 months ago #116675

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Take your West Bend questions over to the Chrysler/Force forum. That should read Elgin/West Bend/Chrysler/Force :) Hey admins, how about changing that. These motors changed little over the years once they found a good combination. The last part I bought, a prop nose cone, came in a Mercury bag, date coded this year. A part used all the way back, from in the 60s.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re:West Bend 8 years 11 months ago #116704

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
West Bends were very under rated motors. When they were working they had GREAT power and their lower units on the larger Sharks were as hydrodynamic as the very pricy Merc racing lowers of the day. The thing that was very weird about them, and why many shyed away from them was the crazy positive ground electrical system they used. Hook up one wire or battery cable wrong for even a second and you fry the rectifier instantly. Be VERY careful if you mess with any of the wiring. Some, but not many parts can be found for them at some of the classic Chrysler parts dealers. Laings outboards has about the best selection of NOS stuff if you need something. When I was a kid growing up a bunch of us had boats we ran on the Milwaukee river. My Feather Craft had a 57 35hp Johnson on it. My friend had a much heavier Wolverine with a 61 40hp West Bend Golden Shark. When we would race he would stomp me every time. Getting my butt kicked over and over made me buy my own Golden Shark. That was in the early 70's. I still have that motor in my basement. And yes, it still runs.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online