Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor?

What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11651

Just started back to get this boat back in shape....
I started with the trailer, and have ripped out the interior of the boat, but need a few suggestions as to the best place to start.

Interior is non-existent now and I have cleaned and wet sanded the exterior.

Should I paint the exterior first, then go for the complete interior? I have time, but would like to approach this the easiest way?

I have a few pics on my profile...she needs a lot of TLC

Thanks.
Wellcrafted1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11652

here is the after pic of the trailer
Attachments:

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11659

wellcrafted,welcome to the forum,i started makng the interior of our boat 1st,but it was winter and i didnt have my garage yet,it was in another garage 20 miles away,then we replaced the floor then after i got my little garage we sanded and painted the whole boat,after that we put in the carpet and interior,i still have some left to do.
then next is paint the motor to match because we are taking it to harveys lake in august.
i wish i had had enough time to have the motor gone over 1st,but we like the look of it on this boat and it is the original motor,so we will go with it.
before pic after pic
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11663

i did the outside of my boat first. they're wasn't much to do inside other than seats and dash. the motor wasn't touched and the trailer is now rebuilt from axle out.
Attachments:

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11674

Outside, inside, motor.

I take it you're not splitting the boat apart. Doing the outside 1st allows you to make boo-boos inside, because you're doing that second. Doing the motor last is best because then when it hits the water it will be fresh, no sludge or goo from starting on a stand, sitting over winter, then acting up on the water. Whatever you do, if there is ethanol in the gas, use an ethanol treatment like Star Tron or Sta-bil all the time, and don't use gas you've stored for too long. I learned my lesson.

Trailer looks great!

Frank

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11686

I appreciate the advice....

My thoughts are (engines are not my thing) so I will have a professional screw me on that, and I will take care of the rest.

I have started to sand the top and have cleaned the bottom of the boat. The interior is totally stripped out, so I will attack the walls and floors with Paint. I have a soft spot in one small area, that I will repair and seal, then will add the carpet and seats.

Maybe by then the shop can have my motor up and running. It is a 65 HP Mercury, with a blown lower unit.

oh yeah, I have pics to add but am confused on how to add pics in this forum except the one pic.

Thanks,
Wellcrafted1
Attachments:

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11689

you might want to think twice about installing carpet. there are some who think that thats an invitation for damage to the floor. ron

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11691

Well that could save some money....if I didn't use carpet, and wanted to add a textured spray paint, any recommendations?

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11693

I'm with Ron, no carpet for Frank, no pressure treated wood in my boat (another invitation for disaster). If I wanted textured paint, I'd call Jamestown Distributors and ask one of the paint guys.

Frank

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11704

oh yeah, I have pics to add but am confused on how to add pics in this forum except the one pic.

wellcrafted,just click on "edit",then click on "browse" again,find your pic then click "image" then click "submit",you can do this as many times as you like,just keep editing,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11705

i put carpet in the sunray,its a fiberglass covered wood floor,plus its garage kept.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11708

WellCrafted1 wrote:

My thoughts are (engines are not my thing) so I will have a professional screw me on that, and I will take care of the rest.

I really get tired of this kind of statement!! What makes you think a "professional" is going to "screw" you??? Do some research and ask plenty of questions. If you get "screwed" it may be your own fault. Do you expect them to work for free?? A "professional" has put in many hours of training at his own expense, has probably invested over 30-50k on tools and has the knowledge and experience you seek. When you punch your time card in the morning, you get paid.......right?? Do you think the owners of the company are saying "he's probably going to screw us!"?? Maybe you could just fix it yourself...........

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11720

Perhaps a little quick on the trigger marathon but I agree wholeheartedly. I run a small cushion & canvas shop and I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing: "Take it easy on me." "Don't stick it to me too bad." "Is that your 'best' price?" etc. Pisses me off too.

What is up with this misconception that business owners are made outa money & can't wait to screw the next customer. I recommend that someone seeking to be 'professionally' screwed consult a prostitute ...

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11722

john-gibson wrote:

i put carpet in the sunray,its a fiberglass covered wood floor,plus its garage kept.john

THATS THE KEY...how its takin care of.

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11723

marathon6 wrote:

WellCrafted1 wrote:

I really get tired of this kind of statement!! What makes you think a "professional" is going to "screw" you??? Do some research and ask plenty of questions. If you get "screwed" it may be your own fault. Do you expect them to work for free?? A "professional" has put in many hours of training at his own expense, has probably invested over 30-50k on tools and has the knowledge and experience you seek. When you punch your time card in the morning, you get paid.......right?? Do you think the owners of the company are saying "he's probably going to screw us!"?? Maybe you could just fix it yourself...........

hey jim, when you eventually restore my merc take it easy on me huh! lmao

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11730

For what it's worth I would fix the hull first. Then worry about interior exterior or motor ...
Attachments:

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11739

Inside to outside is the best way.

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11745

Hey guys sorry for the "bad choice of words" Experience is of true value, and I see no need in trying to build, fix or repair anything I have no knowledge or experience in. This is why I stated that this is where I would be hands off on the engine. I am in a small business myself, and profit and experience is required. ( I will choose my words more carefully next time.) I have found that I always visit true professionals, as this is why people seek me in my business.

As far as the knowledge you guys have, the experience and years of trial and errors, I listen to you guys for things I have no experience.

Best Regards,
Wellcrafted1

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11746

Is the interior wall have vinyl? If so is it able to accept paint or did you re-upholster the side?

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11748

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11756

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
As almost always, some excellent advise has been offered here to you Wellcrafted1. Prioritizing and planning the tasks that need accomplished is a must, "least ye wander aimlessly and become disoriented and disinterested". I have found it helpful to have maybe just two parts of the project going on at the same time for a couple reasons. It's nice sometimes when performing long tedious chores to have something else to work on for a while to take a break from the tedium. Also, if you get stalled waiting for parts or advise, you can switch over to the other task while you're waiting to remain if forward motion with your project.

trying to build, fix or repair anything I have no knowledge or experience in. This is why I stated that this is where I would be hands off on the engine.

Don't be afraid to get a manual on your motor and maybe start small, doing service work etc.. It's not as intimidating as it seems initially, once you get started. Major motor work may be best left to a professional, but hey, you gotta start somewhere! Besides, having some basic knowledge of what you're needing done will help choose the right professional to accomplish your goals.

Mark

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11760

I am about to start the rebuild of my Banshee, and after much consideration I have decided on the following

split boat hull from cap

Rebuild Hull (inside and out - Transom - stringers - floors - glass and strengthen smooth and paint)

Rebuild Cap (glass - modifications - paint - fittings)

Re-unite hull and Cap

Trim and fit out interior (wiring - seats - lighting etc)

Then finally for me have a professional restore my outboard (for whatever it costs to do it right) and fit it up last for the reasons mentioned - fresh for water use etc

Hopefully I got it right (or close) if anyone thinks I have messed it up let me know

Matt

Restoration project - 1959 Bellboy Banshee with 1960 Evinrude Starflite 75hp

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11779

Here are a few pics:

Thanks for all your help.
Attachments:

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11787

WellCrafted1 wrote:

Is the interior wall have vinyl? If so is it able to accept paint or did you re-upholster the side?

im not sure if you were asking me,but yes the sides are vinyl,i had to reupholster everything almost.when we bought the seats we bought 12 yards of vinyl to match.

---Mark Twain

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11795

Thanks John,

Yes, I noticed you had a very clean fresh look on the interior.

I have two sides that are vinyl in very good condition, and since I will be painting the interior white, I noticed a vinyl paint for upholstery and was considering painting this.

The upside is I could reupholster these 2 pieces to match the new paint I will be applying to the top. Just another added step, but sure it would be worth the effort.

Thanks, and John, the interior looks great.

Best Regards,
Wellcrafted1

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11810

wellcrafted ,thank you,and if i were you i would not paint vinyl,i would upholster it,you can go to your local fabric store,they usually have some leftover vinyl,on clearance,we have a "jo-anns"here in indiana,pa,i got alot of grey vinyl that way,for the seaking cruiser,very cheap.

---Mark Twain

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11812

71 V153 wrote:

Perhaps a little quick on the trigger marathon but I agree wholeheartedly. I run a small cushion & canvas shop and I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing: "Take it easy on me." "Don't stick it to me too bad." "Is that your 'best' price?" etc. Pisses me off too.

What is up with this misconception that business owners are made outa money & can't wait to screw the next customer. I recommend that someone seeking to be 'professionally' screwed consult a prostitute ...

Maybe a little premature, but ya get tired of takin' lumps because of few nitwits that screw their own Gmom!!

Nice project Wellcrafted.......good luck with it! Hit the Mercury Outpost.

Re:What to fix first....interior, exterior or motor? 14 years 2 months ago #11813

vuyosevich wrote:

hey jim, when you eventually restore my merc take it easy on me huh! lmao

Ya may want to wait and see if Jim Bart has had his boat in the water yet!! I'm still waiting to hear from him.....I may have to call!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9117 guests and one member online