Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello from SW FL

Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116454

Figured I should intro myself. Name is Shea, 44yr old disabled veteran hibernating here in SW Florida. I found this site by sheer accident and am glad I did. I just acquired what I believe to be a 1966 Sears 17' with a 1973 Johnson 65hp on it. If I tell you what I paid for it, you guys may hunt me down and murder me.

Anyway, hoping to get some help restoring it. Figured this would be the best place. I'll try to get some pictures up today.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116456

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
welcome aboard, a lot of great people here, and wed nite @ 7 pm we have a chat room join us . nice looking boat. again welcome. greg

Re: Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116460

FirstCavArmyVet,

WELCOME ABOARD. - NICE boat too.

yours, satx
USA, Retired

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116461

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome. You stumbled on the right site for all the help you can fathom. Many experts who enjoy boating and the friendship that goes with it.
That motor is a powerhouse when running up to snuff.
Looking forward to your posts and progress.
Thanks for your service. You'll find many VETS here but like us all, there are no bragging rites.
Attachments:

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116464

Welcome to the group Shea! I have only been a member for 6 months, but cannot tell you how much I have learned here (and great comradery, too!).

I have the same engine (except under Evinrude version - everything the same except the paint scheme...), and it is a great runner. It gets my 73 Crestliner 15' Muskie up to 38 MPH with me and a couple kids without a hiccup - awesome hole shot. Will pull up two skiers easily. If you have any questions about that motor, just ask.

Sweet boat. We would love to see more pictures of the interior, etc.

Glad to have you in the forum! ;)

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116476

Shea, welcome aboard, glad to have you hear. Thanks for your service!!!! Chat night is Wednesday 8:00pm Eastern time, stop by, ask questions. Great bunch of folks here to help.

Bob

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116485

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks Bob, I guess Minnesota time is different then east cost. my bad. lol greg

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116497

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Greg, Ya der, us midwesterners are always a little behind but not as much as the west coasters. We can change our names to Ole' and Svwen :laugh:

Shea, get used to some friendly banter also.
Attachments:

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116518

I'm used to that by now LOL. Being that my family will be on this boat, I am not going to leave anything to chance so I will be going over all of it with a fine tooth comb. Right now the engine is being the biggest pain. It will only stay running if I stand there and spray carb cleaner in it LOL. Pretty sure they need to be rebuilt...something I am dreading.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116520

These are easy carbs to rebuild, so don't sweat it too much. Kits are readily available, as well as used carbs on ebay.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116524

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Carb rebuild might not be necessary. Sounds like more of a fuel delivery problem than a carb problem. If the PO used ethanol mix fuel chances are good that the rubber in the fuel line/bulb are trashed. I would first check the intake screen on your fuel tank, unscrew the inlet portion on the tank and pull it out, a long tube that goes down to the bottom of the tank. there is a fine screen on the end of the tube that could be filled with gunk, next just replace the fuel line/bulb portion. These can be purchased as a whole set at marine stores or maybe local big box. On the motor itself is the fuel pump, a flat looking thing with the fuel line running to it. There is a large screw on a black plastic pan shaped thing, unscrew the thing, inside is a filter screen that can just be blown out and cleaned up. Don't lose the gasket. While you have the screen off look at the rubber diaphragm to make sure there are no holes or cracks. There are kits on line for these, fairly cheap. It's what I would do first before tearing apart a carb.
Attachments:

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116536

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Cal (63 Sabre) is right on the money with checking the lines, bulb, and fuel pump - diaphragm first. With any "new to me" motor I at least pull the carbs down and check them, as stated they are very simple and kits are pretty cheap. As often as not you will find some corrosion or trash in the system, and a plugged jet can spell disaster if the motor runs lean! Everybody has their own way of doing things, just wanted to throw it out there for your consideration.

Mark

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116560

I have replaced the fuel line going from the filter mesh up to the 90 degree fitting on the tank. I will def check the pump. Is that tank vacuum assisted? I know I haven't had the cap on when I have been running it. Was more worried about trying to check the water pump at the same time. No water is coming out of the two exhaust ports so I am a bit worried it may be out as well. Can't find much info on this engine anywhere.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116570

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It's not "vacuum assisted" that is with the really older motors. The fuel pump replaced that.
Definitely replace that water pump, no question.
Somewhere on this forum I posted a step by step instruction thread with pictures for this motor. Can't find it though. Someone else can probably get it up though.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116571

There is no tell-tale for the water on this motor - but always replace a water pump impeller if in question (should be done every 2 years to be safe).

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116587

63 Sabre wrote:

It's not "vacuum assisted" that is with the really older motors. The fuel pump replaced that.
Definitely replace that water pump, no question.
Somewhere on this forum I posted a step by step instruction thread with pictures for this motor. Can't find it though. Someone else can probably get it up though.

Hopefully someone will find it. Could really be useful.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116610

• MarkS

Mark

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116613

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark, Chuck, doncha just love this site.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116617

• MarkS
Why yes, I do! :laugh:

Seriously, the folks/members here are more helpful than ANY other site I've ever been to...... bar none.

Mark

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116622

Excellent!!! I looked it over and plan on doing the replacement here in a few weeks. I will try to get a few more photos up of the "before" segment. All I have done so far is paint the engine cover so I could see if I like it. I plan on doing quite a bit over the next few weeks. Now, did these motors have power tilt? I can see two pistons on the inside, but no control for it anywhere. Or would that just be a shock absorber?

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116628

Those are shock absorbers for when you lower and if you hit an underwater obstruction.

Pewer tilt and trim was offerred as an option, but it is somewhat difficult to find (and if you did, even trickier to install). You can add an aftermarket jack plate / tilt / trim if you really want it.

If yours is a 1973, your shifting is hydraulic assist, not electric.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116657

Well at least I can stop looking for the control LOL. I think the next few weeks will see a carb rebuild, new steering wheel and gearbox, and water pump.

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116674

If you own a B&D WorkMate...
they are PERFECT for holding the lower unit while installing the impeller. Kinda hard to see in this pic but this is what I use when I work on mine...

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 11 months ago #116682

Agreed. Mine is about 18 -20 years old and have used it for this many times as well as more things than I can remember...and it looks it!!

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 7 months ago #120083

Revisited this post to find some info you guys posted here. I will get some interior shots up this week. I am FINALLY getting the title to her this week. Big excitment for me LOL

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 7 months ago #120091

Awesome Shea keep at her!

Bob

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 7 months ago #120094

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'll just sit back and wait for sit reps.
Attachments:

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 7 months ago #120314

About to order my impeller for the pump but wanted to make sure it was right. I will need this www.boats.net/parts/detail/brp/B-0382547.html for my 72 Johnson 65hp correct?

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 7 months ago #120317

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Re:Hello from SW FL 8 years 7 months ago #120344

Looks to be pretty equal. I'm going to order that this weekend. I have my new helm gearbox and bow light coming Monday. Were going to start the sanding on the hull next week. For the life of me though, I cannot remember that really thick gloss coat you get for boats. Almost like the stuff they put on wood deco furniture. I figured that would seal in the new paint and protect it a little better. Anyone got a clue on that?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online