Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: And you think our OLD boats have problems?

And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 2 months ago #11607

• Heather
  • Heather's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
It's not all Glassics that are still trying to figure it out.
Some company's did but lost it some where and need to re-learn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re: And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 2 months ago #11611

Heather! Good to see you!

What I want to know is...what insurance is it that pays off on a manufacturing defect?

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 2 months ago #11612

Wow, thats crazy!

Made in China???? :P

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 2 months ago #11615

Thats wild!

Re: And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 2 months ago #11626

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Peter_Crowl wrote:

Heather! Good to see you!

What I want to know is...what insurance is it that pays off on a manufacturing defect?

ALFA, when the manufacture washes there hands of any responsibility because it's out of warranty.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re: And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 2 months ago #11634

Intersting -
www.alfains.com/html/Products_Otherpolicies_Watercraft_Coverages.html

They don't specify anything about situations like this but if they're covering it they should get a plug - that's amazing!

Re: And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 2 months ago #11658

• clbolt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Polar boats are (were?) notorious for serious issues with the gelcoat, and the warranty repairs were painfully slow and not well done. I bet most of the owners don't know about the possible underlying issues with the fiberglass itself.

"...And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you..." George Harrison

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 2 months ago #11700

Does the owner realize how lucky they are to be getting the repairs done by you? :cheer:

Not only will the boat be "ship-shape" (sorry, had to use that one!), it'll be better than new and last a LONG time - with proper care of course!!

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 1 month ago #13180

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
H: Do not see any updates / projects in the last 3 weeks. Know its HOT in south & our index is 109 today . You feeling up to workin on anything.? or just enjoying your mega Sea Ray cruiser.

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 14 years 1 month ago #13191

Have seen this before - they had a catalyst mixing problem with their gun during manufacture - or - they were using old catalyst. They should have picked up on this during gelcoat laydown, but they clearly did not. Hopefully they used a different gun for the laminate, but you said the transom was delaminating, which suggests they did not, or they used the same faulty catalyst for the laminate. We saw a boat last fall that still had uncured spots in the lamination. This indicates poor or no quality control at the factory. Usually the guy on the gun can catch this early enough to 'fix' the problem before the laminations begin. But his is indicative that they sprayed the gel and just started laminating.
Big job - good luck with it.

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 13 years 7 months ago #26215

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK,

Before the nice young men in there clean white coats came to take me away I finished this one...

Here is the video you never got to see.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 13 years 7 months ago #26229

This reminds me of when my ex girlfriend worked for Crownline boats. She was one of fifteen original employees that started the company. They made some of the best boats on the market. As the company grew and the owner died others became in charge of operations. They fired alot of the older workers and hired people from the local employment agency for much less hourly wages. When she was rolling the fiberglass on these boats there were two touch up people taking care of any flaws. When the employment agency workers took over they had 20 touch up people. They had moved her to upolstery by that time. The owners came to her and asked her to oversee the fiberglass operation and see why they were having so much touch up. She said the new people had no idea how to do the job. they were not checking the mil. on the fiberglass and were not rolling out the air in the fiberglass. When she went to the owners and told them her findings they promptly sent her back to upolstery and was soon laid off. This is what you get when people are just trying to get boats out the door and not worried about quality. The owners soon sold the company and it soon was shut down. It is open again after a few years but I am sure the quality that the original employees had put into their boats is not there.

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 13 years 7 months ago #26290

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Alloriginal is absolutely right. In 2o years listening to consumers complaints at the Office of Boating Safety, probably the most common was really lousy fiberglass jobs, and that's on brand new boats. It has to be done right. The people doing the layup have to know what they are doing. Years agi I took a couple of courses in fiberglass layup and I was astounded at how careful you had to b. It takes real talent.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 13 years 7 months ago #26300

I used to go and watch my ex girlfriend and her team roll a boat. They were the most dedicated team I have ever seen. Every one of them had a mil. gauge and talked there way through each boat. Never seen a bunch of women chase bubbles like that group could. It was quite a site to see. The only real drawback was her breath. It took two days for the resin to get out of her lungs. :S

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 13 years 7 months ago #26330

Was it made in China??

Re:And you think our OLD boats have problems? 13 years 7 months ago #26393

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Heather you do some nice work . Im just wondering was it cost effective to even fix that boat ..Being somebody that use to work in a large Bodyshop I know you had to have alot of hours and material in that job .In car world if repairs were getting close to 1/2 the value ..She is off to the scrap yard ..Ya gotta wonder what it looks like under the flooring to .. I wouldnt Rip on China so fast . Were probaully all on Computers made in China ,Wearing cloths from there ,and 3/4 of everything we use is from there .If it isnt its from Mexico .We are becoming a service country . If things continue as is we will probaully all be saying at work ...Ya want Fries with that ??...Least till they get a machine to take orders at Ronalds or the Kings ..Mexico will probaully put up fences to keep us out ...L.O.L..Big Bussiness Says .. Quality ?? We dont need no stinking Quality We need Huge Profits .. My rant is mostly Just playing so please take it with a grain of salt ..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7018 guests and no members online