Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Glaspar Citation Project?

1960 Glaspar Citation Project? 9 years 1 day ago #116036

Hi Everyone, I just picked up a 1960 Glaspar that needs lots of work, a motor, all electrical, instruments and everything in between. I fell in love with the look and plan on doing a restore within reason. I've pretty much decided it is a Citation but curiously my steering is on the Left side. I can't find any other pictures or reference to left hand steering other than there was a brief period where this was what manufactures sometimes did. Anyone have any idea what exact model I may have here? Thanks!

Gary
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 Glaspar Citation Project? 9 years 1 day ago #116039

Hi Gary,
As my family never was a Glasspar dealership, I am somewhat weak on their models, but it may well be a Citation that the factory, dealer, or buyer mounted the steering to port for use with a Mercury six cylinder model current at that time (1957 to early 1961 models), as they had left-hand rotation propellers with the standard lower unit (a counter-rotation, or right-hand, lower unit was offered, but were far less seen).

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:1960 Glaspar Citation Project? 8 years 11 months ago #116686

Thanks Joe, good information. I'm now in the process of getting the title and registration switched over to my name and the DMV wants the VIN of the trailer. I found a small placard riveted onto the back of the trailer that was painted over. I wire wheeled the paint off and found a logo that says "American" and it says American Trailer and Mfg. There is a number that is D-9013. It looks like a serial number more than a VIN so I'm hoping the DMV will accept it. No paperwork or info on the trailer other than that and an old license plate.

Re:1960 Glaspar Citation Project? 8 years 11 months ago #116692

SBHarborlivin,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Fyi, many local/regional trailer-builders didn't assign VIN to their goods until the 1970s.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1960 Glaspar Citation Project? 8 years 11 months ago #116694

Thanks Satx! I'll explain that to the DMV for what it's worth!
-Gary

Re:1960 Glaspar Citation Project? 8 years 11 months ago #116699

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Late to the game but the boat is a Citation without a doubt and the trailer is an American....I happen to have both that were bought new by my grandfather in 1960. I'll look over the trailer frame for numbers in the next couple of days and let you know what I find.
In 1960 Glasspar did not install steering or lights at the factory (with the exception of the I/O models) so buyer or dealer decided where to put the steering and lights and what type to install.
American was pretty much right next door to the Glasspar plant in Santa Ana, CA so lots of American trailers ended up under Glasspar hulls.
If you have not been able to locate the serial number for the boat it would have been just about where your left forearm would be sitting in the seat and holding the steering wheel. Inside the gunwale on a hand stamped brass insert in a small chrome plated Glasspar insignia. A rough example of the likely serial number would be 16XA01234 if built at the Santa Ana, CA plant. 16 for length, X for model (no secondary Citation model in that year so an X was used), A for the Santa Ana, CA plant, and 0 for the last digit of the year produced. The remaining numbers indicated build order.
If not a Santa Ana built boat other plant designations could be N (Nashville, TN), P (Petersburg, VA), O (Olympia, WA) and I'm drawing a blank on the other plants at the time...sorry.

Re:1960 Glaspar Citation Project? 8 years 11 months ago #116713

Thank you Rod this is great information! I'm in the process of removing the top so I can put in a new floor and other fiberglass work. It looks like the serial number is on the chrome plated Glaspar insignia on the center of the dash within the wooden instrument panel - the number isn't stamped though - it looks like printed numbers behind a small piece of glass. I haven't taken the time to read the numbers yet but I thought I saw Olympia or Oklahoma on the plate, I'll have to check it out. Thanks! -Gary

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online