• Page:

TOPIC: Stripping paint from fiberglass

Stripping paint from fiberglass 9 years 4 days ago #115867

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys,
I picked up a fairly rare G-W Invader 8' hydroplane yesterday. It's in good shape except for a couple of really bad rolled on paint jobs. The paint looks to be something similar to rustoleum enamel. I want to strip this off the hull and topside. What paint strippers are safe to use on fiberglass. I have used automotive/aircraft in the past on classic cars, but I don't know if I can use this on the glass hull. Anyone have any idea, or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 9 years 4 days ago #115870

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There's a product called Citri-Strip (orange container) that has proven to be safe on fiberglass, I believe it's available at your local home repair center like Home Depot or Lowes, etc....

Mark

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 9 years 4 days ago #115880

Dont use any stripper that contains Methylene chloride , if left on too long it will melt polyester resin . Go get some Citri strip at home depot like Mark said , it works well and smells like Tang . lol

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 9 years 4 days ago #115881

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys, Glad I asked before I made a mistake here.

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 9 years 3 days ago #115939

Get some plastic sheeting like painters use, or even a plastic bag for yard clippings. Slather on a Foot square section of stripper then cover it loosely with the plastic. Tape in place if needed. The plastic will prevent the stripper from drying before it's had time to work. When ready, pull off the plastic and scrape the paint away. Be careful not to deeply gouge the glass with your scraper.

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 9 years 2 days ago #115971

Boy am I glad I stumbled across your question 75GT, and all the rest of your answers. Iv been hoping to find some help on how to get cheap white paint that is sparsely remaining on the top portion of my 1960 Dorsett Catalina. And after you let the plastic stay on top of your applied section Bruce (and how long would you suggest to leave the plastic on?), what would I use to scrape off the old paint that wouldn't damage the fiberglass underneath? And will this citri-strip change the color of the fiberglass if it comes in contact w an area that doesn't have paint to come off? Hope that makes sense....

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 9 years 2 days ago #116017

father goose wrote:

Boy am I glad I stumbled across your question 75GT, and all the rest of your answers. Iv been hoping to find some help on how to get cheap white paint that is sparsely remaining on the top portion of my 1960 Dorsett Catalina. And after you let the plastic stay on top of your applied section Bruce (and how long would you suggest to leave the plastic on?), what would I use to scrape off the old paint that wouldn't damage the fiberglass underneath? And will this citri-strip change the color of the fiberglass if it comes in contact w an area that doesn't have paint to come off? Hope that makes sense....

Dont worry about Citri strip discoloring your gel-coat , it doesnt affect it at all . After you put it on and let it sit awhile you will see it start to lift then you can use a straight razor or a plastic razor blade to remove the bulk of it in long slimy strips . Most time it takes more than one application to get it back to original gel-coat . The last coat of Citri strip i used steelwool to remove the last of the paint .

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 9 years 1 day ago #116025

Awesome, thank you Gil, I can't wait to give it a shot. And honestly, I dig the smell of tang, I better get some to refresh me while I work on it lol.

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 8 years 11 months ago #116479

I finally got a chance to get some Citristrip, and I tested it on some spots on my catalina and I tell you, after only half an hour it took off the paint like it was still wet. Fiberglass underneath looks great. I took some pics showing contrasts, I can't wait to get the rest of it off. Thanks again for the insight and tips.

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 8 years 11 months ago #116480

That entire rear portion was all white. 1/2 hour, and it's gone.
Attachments:

Re:Stripping paint from fiberglass 8 years 11 months ago #116482

If you look to the left, you can see two thick trips of white that just stop. They did continue all the way to the right. It was very thick and came off like a breeze.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online