Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Does anyone know what this is?

Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115486

I am rebuilding a 1963 MFG Edinboro Custom, and while stripping the boat down ran into a fiberous board under the console to which the old fuse panel is attached. My concern is that it is asbestos. Does anyone know what this is? Has anyone else encountered this? I am including a few pictures. Yes, quite a few paper wasp nests under there.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115487

Sorry, photos did not upload. I am new to this so I apologise for the hiccups. Will try again

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115488

And trying again...

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115489

may have to resize....not over 2048x2048 pixels

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115502

I highly doubt that is asbestos it is more likely MDF bored. If it truly worries you simply wear a dust mask, wet the material, remove it, throw it in a trash bag, tie up the bag and throw it away. Asbestos is only dangerous if it is airborne that is why you wet it down before removing.

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115505

I blew up the photo, and it sure looks like simple MDF board to me. Why they would use it on a boat befuddles me....,., the stuff disintegrates in moisture'

By the way - more wasp nests in one place than I have ever seen... ouch!

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115507

imagine all those critters swarmin outa there at ya!!!

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115509

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'd wet it down either way, the stuff gives ya the "itchies" when it's cut or ripped apart.

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 week ago #115598

Thanks all! Well, its not MDF, but out it goes. Wetting it is an excellent suggestion, thanks! Turns out there is a lab that does asbestos, mold, lead, testing etc., so I dropped a bit off for them to check out. Probably some sort of fibergalss board, but I will post what the result is. As for the wasp nests, there were about 14 under there. They dont get to stay. The boat is probably not rated for 100 passengers anyways.

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 2 days ago #115964

Well, I took some material into a lab and had it tested. It does not contain asbestos, which is great. The analysis did not identify the material, but did indicate it was extremely flammable. Perhaps not ideal for a fuse panel? Anyways, wanted to post the results in case others encounter the same material.

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 2 days ago #115968

That fuse panel and other material was added by some previous owner. Fuse panels were not used in those days.

Looks like part of the original foam was removed, also, IT often detached from the deck when that old, so proabably partially removed at some point.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 day ago #116046

Hi davnau6345, you may be right about it being added later. The foam is in pretty poor condition, any recommendations on how to remove it?

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 9 years 1 day ago #116049

It should pry out relatively easy, over the years it will have separated from the top deck. What is your plan for replacing the flotation?

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 8 years 11 months ago #116406

Was going to replace with styrofome blocks, fill in around edges withexpanding foam, then cover with 1/8 ply. That should give it a nicer finish, and help retain the material. May leave the material that's still stuck in place.

Re:Does anyone know what this is? 8 years 11 months ago #116494

Asbestos is a interesting thing. If your house was built before 75 it will be full of it. It was used in paint drywall mud flooring wire insulation most all of the zonalight has some it it. Furnace pipe tape. Others places as well that just slip my memory at the moment.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online