Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scott vs JEGO

Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115061

I've been watching my local Craigslist for a 35/40 hp Johnson/Evinrude, haven't found the right one yet. But I've seen a couple of 40hp Scotts. I was hoping to get some opinions. This will be my first outboard and I'm leaning towards the J/E for simplicity of maintenance and availability of parts. How is a Scott going to compare on those points?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115063

not even close. Scott's are pretty motors and not that bad at all but parts availability is somewhat limited. I've been looking for a good starter for my 40 hp Scott built Elgin for a long time. I surely wouldn't be afraid of one but the J/E's you are looking at are some of the most dependable outboards ever built. And this comes from a Merc guy.

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115087

Thanks ggreggc, I appreciate the input. I guess I'll just keep looking for J/E.

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115093

I wouldn't discount Mercs. The four cylinder versions of the Mark series from the 30 up through the 450 are real nice motors. Little more spunky than the J/E's are too but about the same weight. Most are 40-45 hp. Maybe keep an eye out for a Mark 58, 58a, 400, or 450. The white 400 is probably the nicest looking one but the Mark 58 is considered by many the best one although any are a good choice.

But nothing against the J/E's. They are fine motors as well.

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115099

I'll be doing my own maintenance and repair. Do the Merc's require a little more technical expertise?

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115101

Mercs need a couple of special spanners to take the LU apart, but there are work arounds usually. Other than that, not really. The magneto/distributor is a little more complicated than 2 coils and points but not overly so.

The J/E's are easier to work on, no question, but the Mercs are not really difficult and they are very similar from one model to another.

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115105

VintageDave,

Mercury's are, imo, HARDER to work on & take numerous "special" (read: EXPENSIVE) tools & a lot more mechanical aptitude than I have.
(A BigTwin is easy to do maintenance upon & grossly OVER-engineered.)

The 1962 GALE SOVEREIGN 40HP is my FAVORITE.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115107

That's a matter of opinion and I've worked on both. The special tools can be made/found, and as I said above, there are work arounds on some of them. I've worked on a lot of Mercs and I'm far from an expert outboard mechanic. There are a number of guys here that are a great resource and the Merc forum is very active.

Looks are a matter of opinion. The early sixties Gales do look good (Wards Sea Kings are identical except color but both are somewhat uncommon), as do the 1956-58 Johnson models, Javelins, and Evinrude Larks. The rest are pretty ugly. Mercury never made an ugly motor.

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115112

Forget the Scott - parts are pretty much extinct

For me, it's a no brainer - the OMC twin engines are like working on a Model A Ford. Simple as can be. Very forgiving of minor boo-boos when working on them. Stainless steel drive shafts and prop shafts. 95% of all servicing done with common hand tools found in most garages. Parts absolutely everywhere, and less costly parts because if that.

They are not as elegant or refined as a Mercury, not as smooth, not as fast. But to the average person who is a little bit handy, they can be kept running.

I love the Mercury Mark series, but the water pump servicing can be difficult, and in some cases, impossible. The engines used a water pump cover that screwed into the lower unit housing - sort of like a lid on a jar. Sometimes they are corroded in place and removal attempts end up destroying the part, or in some cases - the entire housing. In engines that are in good shape a special spanner wrench is needed or one can be crafted from pipe fittings and bolts. Then there is a cartridge that must be pulled from the housing - and that can sometimes be difficult.

The Omc Pump is held in place with a few slotted screws, and normally pops right off and back on again in a few moments time.

No matter which one you get, be sure it has NOT ever been run in saltwater. Look for bubbled up paint around gaskets, white powder around gaskets, rusty looking bolt heads. These things suggest saltwater use - stay away.

Re: Scott vs JEGO 9 years 3 weeks ago #115117

Bruce Gerard,

AGREED in every respect. = That's why I only buy or trade for 1955-70 OMC BigTwin OB motors.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Scott vs JEGO 9 years 1 week ago #115448

Found a '59 Johnson 35hp. Needs a little cleaning and maintenance, but I got to hear it run and shift and everything looks good.
Attachments:

Re:Scott vs JEGO 9 years 1 week ago #115451

VintageDave,

That, imVho, is one of the nicer OBs around. = I have one at Mother's that money wouldn't buy.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Scott vs JEGO 9 years 1 week ago #115464

Just in case you aren't aware, in addition to the J/E's, don't forget about the Gale's. Especially the last couple of years ('60-62 or 63). They are, for the most part, identical to the J/E as they were made by same company and I've never had an issue getting parts for mine (Gale 40's) and, as mentioned, easy to work on. Just an FYI.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online