Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Intro, Identify my boat, Windshield replacement...

Intro, Identify my boat, Windshield replacement... 9 years 3 weeks ago #115036

Hey everyone! I have a wood boat that was home built starting around 1950, it was finished in '57. One of the 2 guys that built it was a friend of my dad's family in Missoula, MT. The boat was in Polson, MT until 1998. (Flathead Lake). The boat is currently at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia.

I was told by the builder that the plans came out of Popular Mechanics. I'm guessing the original plans don't look a whole lot like the final product. They added the fins after the boat was finished, because it was porpoising.
The boat was built using parts from a '49 Ford Woodie my uncle crashed. (gas tank, lower speedo, lights and choke nob, steering box and column, original engine). They even used the wheels and some suspension parts to make the trailer. Currently powered on by a 283 Chevy, installed by the original owner. Straight drive. I assume the hardware, including the windshield, came off of another boat.

If anyone has a thought on where I might find the original plans, I'd love to hear about it.

Pictures here:
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.5510871986.12419.503256986&type=1&l=71780f1802

I'm mostly looking for help identifying where the original windshield came from, because we need a new one, including brackets. I'd like to find the same brackets, but I'm willing to switch it up. I have contacted retroboats.ca and UDP. I haven't heard back from either of them yet. FYI, the windshield is 62.25" wide, tip to tip.

Thanks for your help!
Brad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Intro, Identify my boat, Windshield replacement... 9 years 3 weeks ago #115039

bradtaylor33,

WELCOME ABOARD. - NICE "one off", too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Intro, Identify my boat, Windshield replacement... 9 years 3 weeks ago #115042

should find it in here

Re:Intro, Identify my boat, Windshield replacement... 9 years 3 weeks ago #115064

Tempting, but not sure I want to buy all of those...

Re:Intro, Identify my boat, Windshield replacement... 9 years 3 weeks ago #115067

Popular Mechanics is all available online from Google Books. Either the original builder found plans printed in Popular Mechanics magazine, ordered the Popular Mechanics "Build a Boat" publication (see link below), or ordered plans from a boat plans company advertising in Popular Mechanics (there were many):

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/main-forum/post-21?id=115067&do=reply

Re:Intro, Identify my boat, Windshield replacement... 9 years 3 weeks ago #115100

HandyAndy wrote:

Popular Mechanics is all available online from Google Books. Either the original builder found plans printed in Popular Mechanics magazine, ordered the Popular Mechanics "Build a Boat" publication (see link below), or ordered plans from a boat plans company advertising in Popular Mechanics (there were many):

Perfect! I'll report back on what I find.

Re:Intro, Identify my boat, Windshield replacement... 9 years 3 weeks ago #115102

One option for the windshield might be one from a Chris Craft. I don't know how much after market stuff is out there, but that might be the style you are looking for on a beautiful boat like that. I guess I might be a little partial to a Woody being that I have a nice '59 Thompson and previously had a nice little kit boat that my dad built in the late 50's.
Bill
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online