Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cabin Cruisers?

Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114819

Still looking for a medium sized, 25'-35' cabin cruiser for ocean coastal cruising weekend trips with the wife and kid...

Right now I have two boats available to pick from, both are a fair distance from me and I am having a very hard time finding any info about either of them.

The first is a 28' 1965 Pearson Cabin Cruiser for $2K with twin Chrysler 210's in great hull condition and fair interior condition needing some basic engine overhauls for both motors.

The second is a 1968 Chris Craft 31' with twin 350's for $1500. Both engines run great but the interior and exterior is shoddy and the hull is decent from the waterline down.

Let me know what you guys think... Personally I am gearing towards the Pearson but she is going to cost me huge in shipping whereas I can sail the Chris Craft back home and haul her out for cheap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114824

I would run away from anything wood, as much as I love them. Too many horror stories over the years, unless your prepared for a total tear down. Many marinas around here, will not lease dock space to a wood boat. Too many of them just get left and eventually sink when the sump can't keep up or the battery dies. Owners just get sick of shoveling money into a never ending pit.

If you willing spend the money (ie a lot!!) to properly restore a wood cruiser, then go for it. But keep in mind the constant maintenance involved.

Re: Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114826

Sorry, I should have mentioned that both are Fiberglass hulls.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114829

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
OK...fiberglass hulls just turned your question into a no-brainer. Go with the Chris Craft. It has "good lines" compared to a Pearson. (That Pearson windshield is ugly.) The extra 3' in length translates into a lot more width and interior space. 318 Chryslers are basically obsolete. Twin 350 Chevys is the way to go...parts are available everywhere for cheap compared to any other engines. I noticed that they are also fresh water cooled and that's a must have for coastal cruising. And how about that flying bridge which also acts as a hardtop for the lower helm station? From the standpoint of resale, you could sell a Chris Craft 10 times before you could sell a Pearson once. There really is no comparison.

Actually, I don't see where the Pearson has anything going for it at all...it's smaller, has bad lines, non-desirable engines, no flying bridge, less cabin/storage space, too far away, expensive to transport, harder to resell...and more money!

Sorry, but you did ask for our thoughts!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114840

Agreed, the CC is a beauty, as most are, and the price is right, that's for sure.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114860

Nautilus, no worries, I really appreciate an honest opinion. I was only leaning towards the Pearson because of her rarity and because she appears to have been better maintained.

That being said, I genuinely like both boats so here are some more pictures of the Chris Craft. Like I said, she is the worse condition of the two:

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114862

And here are more pictures of the Pearson:
Attachments:

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114866

As you can see the Pearson is in better overall shape and does at least have a fiberglass roof for the helm. I share your opinion that the Chris Craft with the 350's are the way to go mechanically but this boat needs far less "spit n polish"

The Chris Craft is bigger, a plus, and as previously stated has the better engines, but is worse for wear all around and the fly bridge is not connected to the helm in any way. It is in such poor condition that I would probably delete it.

I'm torn guys, I like both of them.... I'm not worried about resale, I've always been the kind of guy that once I fall in love with something enough that I want to buy it, I want to keep it forever. I still have my 88 Jeep Comanche with 325k miles on it and most of that truck has been replaced twice.

My Wife, Daughter and I have been taking the Niagara out 2-3 times a week since we bought her 3 months ago and the wife definitely has the boating bug but she is an "off the shelf" kind of girl. She knows I love restoring things back to their prime but she would rather I "maintain" rather than rebuild.

so, let the debate continue.... If ya all can tell me which way to lean, let me know.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114874

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey if the Pearson is more to your liking, that would be the route to go. Everybody's tastes and wants/needs are different, that's what makes life interesting! The 318 Chrysler motors may be obsolete - but you can still get most all the parts you may need, not sure about the drives? Go whichever way makes you (& the Mrs.!) happy.

Mark

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114882

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
You mentioned that the Chris Craft can be "driven" home. If that's the case, you have two running engines/transmissions and that's where the real money is. The Chris Craft looks like it needs a good cleaning, paint and probably some electrical work in addition to getting the flying bridge back on line, not to mention a woman's touch in the cabin.

It actually costs more money and takes more time to restore a green four door sedan than a red convertible. Personally, I like to put my time and money into the "sure thing" with great potential, even though it may require more sweat equity. I love big beautiful cruisers with great lines. I'd rather have the Chris Craft all finished this time next year than the Pearson next month.

However, as has been said, you should do whatever you choose for whatever reasons you have. Don't end up with the boat I want, buy the boat you want.

...but buy something! Women can change their mind at the drop of a hat and generally would rather spend money on stupid stuff like clothes, shoes, dust collectors, bills, food, etc.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Pass 9 years 1 month ago #114890

I've been around Commanders for some time. They're awesome boats. But.....this one needs a lot of work. Purchase price is irrelevant as to make this one decent will easily run into 5 figures. Start with a better boat. You'll save in the long run. Here's an example of one that is a very very good deal.
commanderclub.com/forum/topics/1967-27-chris-craft-commander-sf-for-sale

Re: Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114907

I am having a real hard time finding any original specs on the Pearson. All I can find is 5-6 pictures of ones still on the water.

Not having much experience with Cabin Cruisers other than driving my Uncle's Bayliner Contessa for a couple of weekend trips a few years ago, what can you guys tell me that I need to know?

The only boats I've owned have been trailer-able. The plan for either boat is to store it in my yard on stands for a season till I finish restoration and then rent a berth with shore power at my local marina. I definitely will want a berthing cover for the stern to keep excess rainwater out.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114909

Well I throw my hat in the ring for the CC. Yes it will be much more work but the hulls are built like tanks and you have two good running 350's with more hp than the 318's. Don't get me wrong, the 318's were great motors, had one in my Duster but as Nautilus said, the 350's are much easier to get the parts for and most of the money is in the drive train and it's parts. Of course there are probably better boats for a base start for a little more money as Craigjudge said. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 1 month ago #114912

I know your on the east coast of the U.S. but quick check of the classified ads in Ontario Canada turned up this 1986 sea Ray:

www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/peterborough/1986-searay-sundancer-29-feet/1101646862?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

And this Imperial:

www.kijiji.ca/v-personal-watercraft/kitchener-waterloo/26-ft-imperial-aft-cabin-cruiser-built-by-asi/1073653957?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The Sea Ray looks like a great boat and is ready to go. I'm sure that there have to be similar deals near you and spending 4k even 6k up front can be a lot cheaper than trying to resurrect a $1500.00 boat. A trip across the border may prove beneficial especially with the 30% premium your money now has!

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #114979

I like the CC, but in the end if you Love the Pearson then in your heart the choice is made. Last spring I bought a Jacobsen Lawn Chief tractor for resale. It is between 1969 and 1974. It is a classic if you are into old tractors. I still have it with little interest. But a ton of people want my Model 73 Cub Cadet that is not for sale. I also have a few Bolens that did not sale. I can sale 10 of those cheapo MTD made tractors for $300 if they function, or a Sears. But put a good quality machine out there you can use and pass on down to the next generation and the money stops.If resale is not in the plan go with the one you want the most.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #114981

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'll bite Robert, Can't beat my old Yamaha lawn tractor. YES the made them:)
IMHO...I'd to CC, resale would be better also just for name recognition.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #114983

Not sure where a 318 is hard to get parts for certainly not around here. And besides that you will not need as many as you would for a 350. The old dodge motors are bullet proof. One other thing to think about with a pair of motors the servicing of course doubles as well.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #114986

There is one other thing that might apply as well and that is the wife acceptance factor. The Chris craft looks dirty and ugly at the moment sometimes that can put off a person from the start. if you want it but the other boat looks cleaner so it has a better acceptance factor it very well could be better to look for a third option. Kind of liked the other cc that was posted for 450o.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #114995

Quick Update...

I'll be taking a drive to see the Pearson early next week. I found a guy literally down the street from me that has a pair of rebuilt 1988 318's that he wants $2000 for the pair. ($4000 if I want the Borge Warner Velvadrive transmissions that he has as well) I also found a Hauler who can get her to me for $700, I think now that she is worth taking a drive for.

I'm gonna go see what the condition the Pearson is and see if the 1988 blocks will fit where the 1965 blocks are.

I went and saw the Chris Craft. The owner has left her uncovered for the last 3 years and she is in really bad shape. 3 of the windows are broken and the hatches for the engines are sagging into the hull. The starboard "headliner" of the cabin is gone and water has penetrated throughout the boat. It's a pity because she was a pretty boat. Nail's in the coffin as far as I'm concerned for that CC
Attachments:

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #115013

My dad ran one of the 210 318s in his fishing boat for over 12 years never touched the lower end did I thank 3 valve jobs on it ran it for 7 day a week the first 6 years on a average of 8 hrs a day very tough motor 6 days for the rest of it life was still running when he stopped using the boat

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #115014

318 was Chrysler's bullet-proof motor. I had a 69 Fury with a 318. We ran it as kids for 5 years on a blown head gasket, then put it in the demolition derby at the state fair. Ran without water for almost 30 minutes till it locked up. Once it cooled down it fired right up again. Those motors run forever, even with poor maintenance (as a poor teenager from the 70's).....

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #115017

Never thought of that the1988s are for sure an la block the others maybe a polyshere 318.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #115023

I didn't bring it up but I never had a GM engine in anything that was any good or lasted any length of time and I've had a good handful of them. I've had 318 and the old slant six's of two different sizes and they never had a problem. Back then you carried an extra starter and alternator in your cry-sler with tools to change it. My Chrysler's died of cancer before the engines died. Last Dodge truck I had broke in two.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #115035

Don't forget ballast resistors. Back when I had my Fury's and Polara's I used to go to the dealer and they stocked them in an empty box that used to hold a case of diapers. Probably had a thousand in there.

Nothing against Chrysler motors but I've had a number of GM motors break 300k.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #115043

Just put in msd ignition s and all the little bullstuff is done. Just add fuel and change the oil.

Re:Cabin Cruisers? 9 years 3 weeks ago #115049

Yup, had one in a '72 fury III I inherited as a kid. Actually a little under powered for that car - at least the way I drove :), but that sucker ran and ran and ran with little but oil changes and tune ups - did replace a couple of starters though, but a hell of an engine. If parts are still readily available, no reason not to stay with them.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online