• Page:

TOPIC: Floatation Chambers

Floatation Chambers 9 years 1 month ago #114628

• Kevchoe
  • Kevchoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I've tried to read about this question I have and have seen mixed answers and speculation. So I'm gonna try my luck here. My boat is a fiberglass Lonestar Deauville, 1963. Got it a few months ago and don't know much about construction.

There is a circular cut hole on the port side of the bilge area. Its not the drain hole. It was open when I got it. When I ride the boat, dirty water comes into the bilge area from the hole. I pump it out. Last time I rode this weekend it stopped and the bilge stayed clean. This hole is obviously supposed to be there but what for? Is it supposed to be capped? I assume it leads to the floatation chamber but I don't know if it has foam in it or if its supposed to be air. My main question is what am I supposed to do with this hole? Is there something I could be doing to maintain the integrity of the chamber?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Floatation Chambers 9 years 1 month ago #114650

Thats what's known as a condensation hull drain. I have one in my boat too!!! 61' LoneStar. In the Bilge on the side. It's to allow any water to drain from under the deck that condensation may have caused.

You can see mine here on the right side. When I first got her I wondered what it was for too!!!

I keep mine plugged most always and then unplug at end of season when bow is up and boat is covered. Seems to always be a bit of water in there. I'm guessing your boat has no foam under the deck. Just keep her stored bow up get all the water out and then plug the hole when you're on the lake and remove it when stored.

Re: Floatation Chambers 9 years 1 month ago #114655

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yep.... :)
You do want to plug it or duct tape it over normally. You dont want water to go into it. Later boats were required to have flotation and sealed floors were needed. Water was not "supposed" to get in there. My boat had a dozen unsealed screws holding the helm seat down. That area had the wood and foam soaked from years of skiing. The driver sitting down soaking wet, water running under the seat and dripping through the holes....

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re: Floatation Chambers 9 years 1 month ago #114660

• Kevchoe
  • Kevchoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I finally have answers. Perfect! Thanks so much. My boat sat in a barn for 15 years before I got it 2 months ago. Funny you mention screw holes. Ive been going through 1 by 1 and resealing all the screws and fixing holes if necessary.

Re:Floatation Chambers 9 years 4 weeks ago #114932

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Just a little history and lesson in nomenclature (names of stuff) Those are called limber holes. In the days of wood boats all boat had limber holes in bulkheads and frames to allow water to drain to the bilge where it could be collected and pumped overboard. Otherwise your boat stayed wet and rotted. Now days with fiberglass boats you don't see this much. Limber holes unfortunately also allow gasoline fumes and carbon monoxide to get into places where you don't want them to be. Outside the boat is where you want them to be. Anyway. Some boats still have limber holes to drain compartments where condensation or rain can collect.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024