Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts

Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114261

Hey all,

Does anyone have any pointers on making a mold for recreating old rubber parts? I've got a pair of MFG step pads and I haven't been able to locate spares in years. They're cracking and on their last leg. I'd like to get some molds made of them soon so I can replace them as they wear. Not quite sure how to get started on that. Was thinking once I had a mold I could use something like West Marine's liquid rubber to poor to make the replacement parts.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114265

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Andrew, somewhere around here is a string on how to make the molds. I'm sure someone will chime in and point you in the right direction.

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114343

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114345

Great info MyFlamingo. I've also been looking into resin casting, as it's near impossible to get replacement lenses for the old wilcox crittenden bow lights anymore.

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114349

andrew,

I have made step pads for our Herters boat using Alumilite rubber.
They have compatible dye to color the rubber.
If you want perfect parts you really need to use a vacuum chamber and use a heat light to speed activation. I also refrigerate the A and B materials before I mix them to get a longer pour duration. I preheat the mold to about 150F to reduce air bubble s in the part.
There is a learning curve, but once you get it sorted out it's not difficult.
Making the mold is fairly easy as the pour time is much longer.
Pic one shows the mold in a foam box to retain heat in the mold. Next one is my homemade vacuum chamber. Next one is speeding the activation process with a heat lamp, and the last one is a finished step pad.

www.google.com/search?q=alumilite+casting&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS436&oq=alum&aqs=chrome.2.69i60l2j69i59j69i60l3.4226j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8
Attachments:

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114355

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114360

Andrew,would be interested in a set after you get you self taken care of my '74 don't have them. check my avatar pic.

ken

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114363

Are they the oval style or the rectangle?

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114724

hey hey hey i have the oval type mine are together but starting to dry rot. i would be interested in fronting some money to start the process of making a few sets. you can see the mfg logo is intact just the ribs are peeling off. would love to buy a set once the process is set. i,ll get a few pictures and send maybe for a negative to use. i chromed my step rings , would be nice.

billy

Re:Rubber Molds, Remaking Rubber Parts 9 years 1 month ago #114793

It's on my list, but down there towards the bottom. Lots to do before I get to the step pads. The outside ribs are in pretty decent shape, with only a small amount of deterioration. The mold won't be new-perfect, but hopefully close. I'm planning on talking to some 3D printers in the area, since that's a new thing that's gaining ground.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online