Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP?

Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP? 9 years 1 month ago #114009

Hi All:

Does anyone know if it is possible to add factory power tilt / trim to my 1973 Evinrude Triumph 65 long case? I see the units on ebay, but how do I find the one for my motor? Can I use my current transom brackets, etc (ie: is it a bolt-on item or do I need to remove motor from boat to do it)?

Caqn I set up a switch on my dash (as my control box does not have it....?

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this, as this motor is too heavy for my wife and kids to do it without me present (plus, it aint too much fun for me, either).

This is on my 73 Crestliner Muskie 15 open bow run about.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP? 9 years 1 month ago #114016

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You can check on marineengine.com to see if it was ever offered;
www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1973&hp=65

Your best bet might be an aftermarket unit similar to this;
www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cmc+tilt+and+trim+ebay

Mark

Re:Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP? 9 years 1 month ago #114018

As I remember, it was offered but was uncommon until later in the 70's. Those units will probably easily work though. The control box usually had the control switch on it so you might have to figure something else out there. Aftermarket units were/are available used. I believe the 50/55 (twin) and 55/60/65/70/75 (three cylinder) would use the same one but that is a guess. You would want to double check.

Re:Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP? 9 years 1 month ago #114019

Yes, they made em, similar to this...

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1973&model=Electrical+1973§ion=Power+Tilt+Kit-65+Long%2C85%2C115+%26amp%3B+135+Hp&yid=34231&mid=34232&sid=35634

and they do come up occasionally on Evil Bay but...They are usually in the $5-$600.00 dollar range and they are OMC units that may need to be re-Built. If it were me, I'd prolly want to try and keep that nice looking Motor as original looking as possible IF I could afford too!!!! :ohmy: ;)

As MarkS stated the CMC units are a bit more money (about $750.00) but they do work really well. Lots of YouTube videos showing how the CMC units work. Pretty easy to install too!!!.

OR

If you're a C.O.B. like me, you might wanna try making your own like this guy did...

Re:Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP? 9 years 1 month ago #114026

I went to marineengine.com and found that they did make it for my motor (same unit was used on 65 Long Shaft model, 85, 115, and 135 HP. Part numbers were 172670 or 172859. I did not see any listed on ebay at the moment.

Re:Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP? 9 years 1 month ago #114099

The part # you're looking for is 0172671. It's obsolete but as I said the do come up on Ebay from time to time or Boat Salvage Yards.

Re:Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP? 9 years 1 month ago #114110

i know the powerhead gaskets to the mid section are the same all the way up into the late 80's on the 75hp...
is there any chance that you could swap out a newer transom mount with trim and tilt.

Re:Can I add power tilt & trim to my 1973 Rude 65 HP? 9 years 1 month ago #114156

I think it will not be worth the trouble.....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online