Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boat number location question

Boat number location question 9 years 2 months ago #113776

The curve of the front hull makes seeing the numbers difficult. I am not sure what to do. Putting numbers on the blue is not an option. I did notice a lot of antique boats have no numbers. Kind of like a front plate on a Corvette, you take your chances. But I like not getting stopped......
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re: Boat number location question 9 years 2 months ago #113777

In Minnesota, you can use a removable plate so they don't have to be permanently attached to the boat, but they do need to be on the boat when the boat is in use, and I believe they do need to be at least the same size as the permanent ones. Your state may vary. I would think the removable deal would create more problems that it would solve.

Re: Boat number location question 9 years 2 months ago #113778

You will need the numbers. Best just to stick 'em and forget it. Tape them in place before sticking them to see where they look best. Try looking at some photos of other Playmasters to get an idea for placement. Looks like further back on the hull makes them more visible:

Re: Boat number location question 9 years 2 months ago #113833

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
The law is simple. They have to be on the forward half of the hull, block characters and 3 inches high. That's it. If your state allows a removable plate for the numbers then go for it. Check with your stae registration office. They really do not spoil the looks that much because, frankly all boats have them.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Boat number location question 9 years 2 months ago #113834

• Nautilus
  • Away
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Put them where the law requires. If "the cops" can't read them, that's their problem.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Boat number location question 9 years 2 months ago #113846

i have even a bigger curve on the mantaray...ron
Attachments:

Re: Boat number location question 9 years 2 months ago #113847

ggreggc wrote:

In Minnesota, you can use a removable plate so they don't have to be permanently attached to the boat, but they do need to be on the boat when the boat is in use, and I believe they do need to be at least the same size as the permanent ones. Your state may vary. I would think the removable deal would create more problems that it would solve.

This applies to boats built 1958 or earlier in Minnesota. Anything newer than 1958 must conform to the law and have permanent display of registration.

Every state is different. Check with your state.

Andreas

Re:Boat number location question 9 years 1 month ago #113879

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
As something we do for a living, we've lettered many a boat with registration numbers. We step it up and do a color coordinated two color number, matching the color scheme of the boat, and locate them in the easiest to read place a couple of feet back of the front of the bow, usually an inch or two down from the top. Most boats do have a curve at this point, so step back to see where the best place is for readability.

If you have to have them, might as well make them match and look snazzy. We let the client choose the type of font, as long as it's easy to read and blocky. Step it up a little more and cut out the state sticker and stick it to a contrasting vinyl color and cut that shape out also to match instead of a rectangle or square of white. We lettered up an 84 year old gentleman's new boat, and it was gold, cream and hunter green. The boat salesman sent him to the hardware store for black numbers. He called us and said, "Girly, I'm 84 years old and this is the last boat I'll have, I want them FANCY!" We did a hunter green number with a gold outline on the cream boat bow and he was pleased. As long as you have to have them, make them cool and match. I agree with the comment of not giving anyone more reason to pull you over and see what else they can find wrong. Stop at your local sign shop and see what they can do!

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online