Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Convertible Top?

Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113070

Hello, I posted this in the MFG thread but I'll post this here too for a wider audience. I'm looking for a source for an original Convertible top like the one shown for a 1965 MFG Niagara. Any ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113125

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You will likely have to source that through a local upholstery shop, I don't believe the "navy style" tops are available any more for our Glassic boats.

Mark

Re:Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113378

I can't answer your question, but I'm going to throw this out there for your consideration. I have never liked the tops that snap to the windshield b/c you cannot pilot the boat standing when that top is up. So, I prefer a bimini that provides some shade but isn't in the way.

Just a data point in case you hadn't already thought about it.

Have fun.

Paul

Re:Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113448

Paul,
If she was a bigger boat I would completely agree with you, however, the Niagara's seats are close together, close to the dash and I am 6'3". I have tried standing in her at the helm and it is awkward for me at best. The front seats were lowered 3" and the the top of the windshield is 2" above my head, so with a navy top I should still have plenty of headroom.

Re:Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113452

The top snapping to the windshield is period correct, and looks best on an old boat (even if you cannot stand easily). I make do just fine in my old Crestliner (I am a 300 pound guy that is also 6'3"). On a really hot day the better coverage is appreciated. If you need to stand, it unsnaps pretty darn quick, anyway...

To each his own, but I prefer period correct.
Attachments:

Re:Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113454

If you can extrapolate the measurements for the frame (getting close (top width would be equal to windshield top, angles roughly equal to the side angle of the windshield, the cloth covering could be worked out by any good boat top / canvas seamstress. Not the perfect solution, but do-able.

Re:Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113515

I would check with a tent and awning or upholstery repair shop in your area. We have one here in town that specializes in this. They do a great job and have been doing it for a long time.
Bill

Re:Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113523

And if you check ebay you can find Sunbrella available in about every color. Just make sure it's the marine/awning type.

Re:Convertible Top? 9 years 2 months ago #113590

Thank you all for the responses...

I'm definitely going to have to have it made custom. I made a few phone calls to local upholsterers and the
quotes range from $900 to $1600.
Before I even get involved with it I am going to have to do some restoration on my windshield. I cannot tell if it was an original Taylor Made windshield or an aftermarket one but either way it has a couple of cracks and bad crazing. It also is missing 2 bolts to attach to the hull. Taylor Made sells a new one for $700 so I don't know if I'll just bite the bullet and buy new or try and restore what I have. At least I know my windshield or a new one will have the clip snaps available.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online