Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sliding window repairs, 1959 Superglas

Sliding window repairs, 1959 Superglas 9 years 3 months ago #112324

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I wanted to redo the red paint on my Superglas.

I started taking off the hardware, and got carried away. Found myself taking the top off.

Found some rotten wood to deal with. Also wanted to repair the sliding side windows.

The felt in the lower window channel is in bad shape. Took a while to pick out the pieces. I'm having trouble finding replacement felt. It seems to be a flexible strip that slides into the channel on each side of the window pane.

Most of what I see available is a preformed channel that sets in. A channel in a channel?

Anyone done windows like these before? I'm hoping to find replacement felt strips I can slide into the sides of the channel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Sliding window repairs, 1959 Superglas 9 years 3 months ago #112344

Try a search on automotive window felt ? You may find something close enough to alter ?

I doubt the boating industry tried to re-invent the wheel, and probably used what automotive stuff was available ?

A quick search: This is universal felt. You may find something closer ? Happy hunting !

www.dkhardware.com/product-9985-y52660-flexible-universal-channel-with-pile-and-felt-liner-for-1948-1962-models-60-length.html?mr:trackingCode=09FBF610-CDE0-E111-9B44-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=43973155572&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=84974132652&gclid=CP7__JHwzcYCFY6EaQod7KkOuQ

Re:Sliding window repairs, 1959 Superglas 9 years 3 months ago #112348

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks for the reply, Chuck. I found the weatherstripping on the site you mentioned. Easier to locate if you know the name of what you are looking for.
http://www.dkhardware.com/product-58858-z78273c-zipper-pile-weatherstrip-270-backing-200-pile-height
Seems to be called "wool pile" or "pile weatherstrip". The zipper strip style can be pressed in rather than slid in, possibly enabling you to change it out without removing the window frame first. Would have been hard for me to dig out the old stuff.

Unfortunately, DK Hardware charges a lot for shipping and handling. Cheaper to buy it through Amazon, even though it still comes from DK Hardware.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online