Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas?

Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112152

• peter1708
  • peter1708's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm running 1961 Mercury 80Hp with a CMC PT-130 tilt/trim unit. The control that came with the unit is a toggle switch.

My preference when running the boat is to have the switch on the throttle lever for convenience, keeping one hand on the wheel and one on the throttle using a thumb or finger for adjustment. This is especially advantageous when trimming for max speed.

But, I can't figure out a good way to mount the switch onto the throttle lever. I've included a photo showing my current set up and it works, but it isn't the best solution and certainly does not look "finished". It's just a hollowed out chunk of mahogany, meant to be a temporary fix.

Are the "turn signal" type switches pretty good and easy to use? Or, maybe there is a way to mount the toggle on the throttle lever in a better/cleaner fashion?

Any and all advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Pete
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112156

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
is there any way that you could use a paddle type switch on the steering wheel. just a thought. greg

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112159

can you take the handle off the control the grip???? if you can you can find a little bigger grip that will accept a mini push button on either end. i had one on my Volkswagen dune buggy so when i was down shifting for a turn i could still hit my turn signals it was a t handle shift handle. i have a push buttons on my switch in my handle its a mercury as well
Attachments:

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112160

I used a TH Marine trim switch on jeflite and it works great, it replaces the plastic part of the handle on the mercontrol. This is the like for one on ebay.

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112167

• ed-mc
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Here's a better picture of that trim switch. Looks like it woudn't be too difficult to adapt to the Merc control handle; just take the black plastic grip off the handle and fit-up the trim switch.
Attachments:

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112187

• peter1708
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the replies, lots of good suggestions and ideas!

Greg - interesting idea. After reading your comment, I did a search and it looks like UltraFlex has a paddle system, similar to a paddle-shifter on a super car. Pretty interesting. I can't find any pricing info on it, though.

Cap-n; Jetflite; Ed - I can't believe I wasn't able to find that online during my searching, looks like a good solution. Would have to figure out a way to route the cable for a clean look, but it would be infinitely better than the 3 loose wires in the current setup!

Decisions, decisions- Pete
Attachments:

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112205

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Pete, stick it on the wheel. Here some pix what I did on the flat bottom. And had a idea for running wires. Bought a couple coiled 3 wire 10 extension cords. Also have a bilge pump switch wheel too. And of course added a old school "ring ring" bell too!
Attachments:

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112230

• peter1708
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hey Robby, good to hear from you!

Clever idea re: steering wheel. I was wondering, do you use a foot throttle or the traditional lever on control box? The reason I ask, is I'm curious to know (if you do use the throttle lever on control box) if your'e able to manipulate buttons with left hand easily?

Love that "Inlines Forever" graphic!

Best,

Pete

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112244

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Pete, it came out just the right spot the wheel when going straight, and easy thumb reach the up/down.. Mom/Off/Mom switch. Still use the hand throttle but miss the hot foot I had on the Switzer XS. Same switch set up that one too, but it was a V bottom, horizontal twin race rams, trim only, no tilt. Ran it full out. But this Flatty simple don't like a trim out, but tucked for assend lift (has 1 inch dropped chines and a pad).."air grabber". I STILL miss that old Swit though!
My buddy Crazy Jimmy in the back, and the motor is trimmed at the limit first pic.
Attachments:

Re:Tilt/trim switch preferences? Ideas? 9 years 3 months ago #112254

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Interested in what you come up with. I have switches for the twins on the 'Cat. Both on the dash using old holes that were there. When i get to cleaning it up i'd like to make it easier. Thought about putting it on the gunwale just beside the twin controls. I like the paddle idea.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024