Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How long is your boat?

How long is your boat? 9 years 3 months ago #112071

It seems that some of the old sales literature exaggerates a bit about boat length which probably makes it more difficult to identify old models. All of the ads and model listings that I've seen for my Tomahawk Ski-Mate list it as a 15' boat. One ad says 15' Gun'l length, 14'3" LOA. When I was trying to get a title for it the Ohio Div of Watercraft measured it from end to bow to back edge of transom which was 13'10". I didn't know that you could round 13'10" up to 15. lol
Just something to keep in mind when trying to identify unknown models.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How long is your boat? 9 years 3 months ago #112074

Good points Dave!

Our 1960 Glasspar G-3 Skiboat is actually 13'7" long but on the title it shows it to be 14' long!

Re:How long is your boat? 9 years 3 months ago #112078

Builders of boats in those days could make nearly any claim that they wanted. Builders used the gunwale length (rounded up to the next higher foot of course) when sizing their boats. If you were to believe what the makers of boats advertised - you were surely in for a huge disappointment. Homelite claimed it's "55" 4 cycle could out pull an Evinrude V4. The American Marc Stardust could turn on a dime at 50MPH. Red Fish boats were unsinkable. Fiberglass boats were "Maintenance Free"..... A Merc 1000 (100 hp) could pull 12 skiers at a time from a deep water start. Skagit boats gave a gentle ride. I'm sure you get the picture...

Re:How long is your boat? 9 years 3 months ago #112081

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yeah,my Aristocraft Funliner was called a 17' boat,but actually measures 16' LOL.

Re:How long is your boat? 9 years 3 months ago #112294

This is my first post!

I just bought a 1960 Glass Magic Ranger along with some original marketing material. It describes the boat as follows: {Length: 18' 9" * Centerline: 17'6"}

I guess I'll measure the gunwale is see if it is 18' 9" from bow to stern.

Re:How long is your boat? 9 years 3 months ago #112295

GlassPaul,

WELCOME ABOARD. - Any number of boat-builders in the 1950-70 period measured hull's length by the center of the nose to the back of the transom.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle