TOPIC: Paint problem

Paint problem 9 years 3 months ago #111971

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
First time this ever happened to me.
Started doing a roll/roll on the Lone Star using rusto high gloss. Added the proper amount of hardner. The stuff was drying so fast I couldn't keep up with a second roll and the poor finish set. When rolling the paint was coming off the roller like cotton candy, at first I thought is was tree fuzzies. Cotton woods are in full bloom.
I thinned a little with naptha but searching the net found that it is fast drying. Also think I got a bad batch of paint. When opening the can it was all lumpy, after stirring I was finding large flakes of paint, had to strain it through a window screen.
Now it's a re-sand to knock down the finish but at least there is a base coat.
Would thinning with mineral spirits help to retard the drying. I'm in no hurry here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Paint problem 9 years 3 months ago #111994

Yup, Paint was bad. Solids have separated from the tints. No way to salvage it. Get new paint an start over. I always make the distributor open the can and let me stir the bottom before I buy the paint to ensure the solids aren't on the bottom. If they are, I don't buy it. It's OLD!!! Rustoleum usually doesn't have that issue since it sells quickly an they get fresh supplies. Guess you got an OLD can. Naptha is actually a bit slower to dry than acetone but faster than Mineral spirits. I like to use a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Mineral Spirits. It seems to be a good thinner for Rustoleum.

Re: Paint problem 9 years 3 months ago #112010

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Thanks for the reply. Weather is supposed to be cooler today here in Green Bay area. I've never had a problem with Rustoleum, ever. S... happens and even the best things sometimes go wrong. I'll use what's left for other things. Running into town today to pick up another quart of red, some mineral spirits and acetone.
Mid to high 80's for the weekend so I'd like to get the sides painted before then.

Re: Paint problem 9 years 3 months ago #112051

Next project I think I will try that one.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online