Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Sportline re power question

1959 Sportline re power question 9 years 3 months ago #111844

Hi there, I am a new member, and I have a couple questions about what I've just done to my boat. I bought a 1959 sportline from the original owner with the original 35 horse evinrude on it. The evinrude just needed the carb rebuilt or so I thought, but it is downright unreliable, it absolutely refuses to idle, and the lower unit will not stay sealed for anything . I decided to re power the boat and I was given a 50hp 4 stroke Honda. This engine is quite a bit heavier and mounts completely different than the old rude did. I got it all bolted in place today but the boat is so ass heavy that I am kind of concerned about taking it out. has anyone else done this and will it work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1959 Sportline re power question 9 years 3 months ago #111851

katasta,

WELCOME ABOARD. - Presuming that the hull is NOT overpowered, try moving the battery/gas tanks & anything that is HEAVY up under the foredeck.
(IF the hull is overpowered, the ONLY safe remedy is a suitably-sized motor.)

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1959 Sportline re power question 9 years 3 months ago #111853

I found a forum post with a maximum hp calculation length x width of transom (L x W) x 2 - 90 = max hp
According to this my max hp is 60 so I should be good, thanks for the weight moving suggestion, I'm going to try that.

Re:1959 Sportline re power question 9 years 3 months ago #111874

I don't know how much a 50hp 4-stroke weighs, compared to 35hp 2-stroke, but I would imagine it's a bit more.

With too much weight on the transom, if you have scuppers, they will be underwater at rest, and your bow won't trim down at low speed, which is going to suck in rough water.

Personally I would go back to the 35hp 2-stroke and save yourself the headache.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
1969 OMC Evinrude Rogue II 210
163 original hours

Re:1959 Sportline re power question 9 years 3 months ago #111887

I think you have over-weighted your boat not necessarily overpowered it. Even though the 50hp Honda is light weight in 4 stroke word it's still a heavy slug compared to the original 35hp 2 stroke. The 50 weighs in at 205 to 225lbs depending on options and the OMC 35 would have weighed in at 128 to 145 depending on year and options. The 35hp OMC's are among the most reliable best running vintage motors out there so I recommend that you get the 35 running well and swap it back on. Besides in my opinion only a vintage motor looks "right" on a vintage boat
Al

Re:1959 Sportline re power question 9 years 3 months ago #111929

I doubt you have over weighted OR overpowered. I have a 55hp Homelite on the back of my 14', replacing the 35 Evenrude that was dealer installed in the day. Homelites failed to catch on partly because of their weight. I've played with props, and trim, but the biggest bang for my buck was moving the fuel tanks up under the front seats. Man it jumps right up on plane now. While I'm a fan of keeping the vintage in vintage, I'm also for using the boat without worry. I say, you've got the Honda, make it work, and then "paint" it to look vintage... kind of like a resto-mod concept.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online