• Page:

TOPIC: Welcome input on a boat I am considering

Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111641

• peoriaone
  • peoriaone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, I wanted to seek some input on a boat I am considering. It is like 6+ hours from me so really debating going for it. Here is the text of his ad along with some emails he sent and pics. My question is... If all is in as good a condition as he states is $2800 too much to pay or about right? Any other questions I should ask? I am not experienced in glass boats so want something I can work on without having to redo a floor or transom.

THIS BOAT IS A SNAPSHOT IN TIME!!! IT SAT UNTOUCHED FOR 30 YEARS, STORED INSIDE! ALL ORIGINAL AND IN GREAT SHAPE! THIS BOAT IS A REAL HEAD TURNER!!!
ALL THE VINYL IS ORIGINAL AND IN GREAT SHAPE. ORIGINAL GUAGES, EVEN THE SEA RAY STEERING WHEEL! HULL, TRANSOM AND FLOOR IS SOLID!!!

THIS IS ONE OF THE ORIGINALS THAT MADE SEA RAY FAMOUS.

IT IS POWERED BY A MATCHING 1965 MERCURY 100HP THAT I JUST TOTALLY RECONDITIONED; IT HAS BEEN REWIRED, CARBERATORS REBUILT, GEARCASE TESTED AND NEW WATER PUMP INSTALLED. COMPRESSION ON THIS MOTOR IS FACTORY AT 125LBS EVEN AT ALL 6 CYLINDERS. THE MOTOR IS VERY CLEAN, VERY LOW HOURS.

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE FAMILY FUN BOAT!!! LIGHT BLUE OVER WHITE WITH MATCHING ORIGINAL INTERIOR, THIS IS A TRUE CLASSIC!!!

IT CURRENTLY SITS ON A DOUBLE AXLE TRAILERWITH GOOD TIRES AND GREASED BEARINGS!

I WILL RUN ON THE LAKE FOR A SERIOUS BUYER!!!

First of all this boat is mine, and I am not a dealer...I do have a hobby business of restoring boats and motors, etc, but do not deal in consignment.

As far as the searay, the boat is solid. the floor is fiberglassed as are the stringers . Sea ray has historically made one of the thickest and best constructed hulls in the industry. There is a 300 pound motor hanging on the transom and there is no flex, nor evidence of stress cracking.

the gel coat and exterior hull is in excellent shape. Of course there are chips, etc, as the boat is 50 years old, but this one was stored for the last 30years in a covered barn. Additionally I have gone through the motor and reconditioned it and it runs per factory specs with factory compression.

I am not going to compromise the hull by drilling a hole in it. The motor is secured with bolts, so if you want to inspect, you are free to remove one of the existing bolts.

I have been restoring boats for 30 years, this boat is in unbelievable condition for its age.
Kansas does not title boats/motors...I restore boats and motors and over half of my customers come from states such as Missouri that require titles...The paperwork you will receive from me is all you need for the DMV...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111644

I like it!
But yes I think that's too much.

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111645

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
If the floor and transom are as solid as he says,I see no reason for it not to be worth close to his asking price. Try $2000 and work your way up as necessary.I bet $2300 cash would get his attention. :)

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111646

• peoriaone
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys, I plan to start low but I think him knowing I am driving 6 hours somewhat affects my negotiating. Perhaps I will attempt to work the price before I go

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111649

Mark, be careful as he may not negotiate over the phone without you seeing it in person. I'd look at it real good first but I'm with Jim not much more than $2k I'm thinking.

Bob

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111650

Yup, Vintage Glass Boats, I'm sorry to say, are NOT like Vintage Glass Cars (Corvettes). They don't carry a lot of value in most cases. Sentimental memories carry more value usually than anything else. Being ALL original really isn't that meaningful. To the seller he might THINK so but in the real world it really isn't. You could find a FREE boat just like that one and spend $2800 and prolly restore it to a better more reliable condition than what he's selling if you did the work your self. And there's no guarantee that this boat won't need some work too!!! This Wood Chris Craft when Restored, would be worth a Whole Lot more money, IMHO and it's listed in your area as well. kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/5036133435.html

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111656

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I agree with everyone else on the price. However, regardless of the sellers description, that particular make/model isn't anything special, at least not from a collector standpoint. (If it were, these "Fiberglassic nuts" would be all over it.) I'm with Flamingo. For that kind of money you could do better...and do it closer to home. When you start adding gas, meals and lodging to the acquisition cost, even at $2,000, it's becomes what my wife refers to as an "uneconomical venture." My advice is to stay home and continue shopping.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111673

• peoriaone
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like it is a bit over priced and if I decide to pursue I will work that down. I am not looking for a collector boat but a user boat that can seat 6 or 7 people. Something vintage that does not require allot of work but must be big enough to handle the water on Lake of the Ozarks. I am in Peoria IL and have been looking for the last couple months for the right one. Most I find require more work then I am wanting to invest, too small, or not in the Midwest. I am open to looking at a nice user from one of the members here :)

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111678

Well, that boat seems to fit your bill. Now that you've enlightened us further, I'll put forth this further Old Dumb Okie advise. IF you could buy this boat for $2,000 and IF you had to invest another $3,000 into the motor and other various items to get her into "Tip Top" running condition and IF she truly meets your "EYE" for the Vintage "Look and Feel" and all other conditions, You'd only have $5,000 invested. Now go and try and buy a 19' boat today for that money!!! Heck, even if you put $8,000 more into her and had a total of $10,000 as long as you Like the style and she fits your needs, you're still way ahead of the game as long as she's a Sound Boat and operates effectively and effeciently. I did not intend to Shut you down in my original post, only to inform you on the VALUE of the boat from a sellers point of view. From an Owners point of view it's a totally different kettle of fish. My 1961 Lonestar is worth way more to me than it's actually worth on the market cuz my blood sweat and tears are invested and I love it's styling. But some other guy would think its a 54 year old boat that's worth $1,000 bucks!!! Bottom line I guess is, If you like the looks, talk to the guy on the phone, Make your best deal, make the drive, if it all checks out... Hope for the Best, Plan for the Worst!!!!

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111682

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I paid about that for my '68 MFG with '68 merc 1000. Looked just as clean too.

After taking it to Silver Lake and bouncing around a little, found that the floor was rotting at the drivers seat, and where the steps go to the bow.

See that pic of yours with the silver strip across the floor? Thats there to hold down the carpet. With screws, into the floor. That is exactly where my floor failed. Anywhere there is a screw through the floor there is potential for rot. Bounce on there with the balls of your feet. You'll feel if it's squishy. Or tap around the area for sound, then try an area far away from water intrusion points. Since he will not let you drill into it. Maybe he'll let you remove those screws in the floor and check for rot?

Luckily my transom was solid.

You can get a rebuilt Merc 1000 for around $1500. He says it's rebuilt, but people say a lot of things. I'd say $2000 for all of it is fair, but i'd try and get him down. That floor would have me worried.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111688

• peoriaone
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks, good advice

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111808

I am going to go against the conventional wisdom here. I purchased may 1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray for $3000. To the best of my knowledge, it was used one season and stored in a barn for 40+ years until I purchased it in 2008. Everything on it (with a couple of items excluded) is original. I had the engine gone over and did some clean up and it was ready to go. There are many people out there who have bought boats cheap and have put way more then $3000 into then (Like I am doing with my 59 Glastron). That boat with the original motor that has already been gone over for $2800 is a deal as far as I'm concerned. You can't create original.

FWIW, last year I was asked if $12K would buy the boat. I still have it.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111810

thetudor,

I would NOT argue with you & I truly LIKE your CC Aqua Ray BUT I don't think that the Sea Ray is "anything special". = To me, it's a "using boat" & that's all that it is, as they are NOT rare or even "a sought after classic design".

Otoh, you couldn't buy a new johnboat, with a 10 horse engine & trailer for 2800.oo today, so "you pays your money & takes your choice". = To me, it comes down to: Do you like the boat, believe that the OB has been properly rehabilitated AND how much more $$$$$ needs spending on the rig to routinely use it for family recreation.

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111811

Uhmmm, Yeah!!!! I believe the Aqua Ray is in a Different Class altogether than the Sea Ray when it comes to desirability and collectability. But then again, some people might think the Aqua Ray was less desirable than the Sea Ray sooo... It's like the old saying "Beauty and Value is all in the Eye of the Beholder!!!!"

Now as to whether or not it's condition is the same as your's was that remains to be seen. As was stated by others "Barn Find" boats can be found that have retained their structural and mechanical integrity. Rare but findable.

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111812

My boat was on Craigslist, listed for $1900. It had been kept in climate-controlled storage for over 20 years and was in near-immaculate condition. I ended up trading a non-running 8500 watt generator, a SigPro 2340 pistol and $100 for the boat.

The deals are out there, be patient. Remember that money talks and BS walks. You'd be surprised what a seller will take, when you're there in person.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
1969 OMC Evinrude Rogue II 210
163 original hours

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111815

I see the ad is gone. Did you buy it?

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111824

I didn't ride my motorcycle anymore. Family and work got in the way. Decided to sell it and use the $ for a boat, that the whole family can be a part of. Listed it for 3K. Not one legit bite.
Then, almost 2 years later, saw a CL ad for a 71 Kona. Willing to take a bike in trade (was asking 2500). We met, and made a deal. Origional vinyl, origional carpet. Motor is a different story, but runs good (48 MPH at 5100 RPM before carb rework).
$400 into it after the deal, and I'm set and happy. Great finds do come along, you just have to keep after it.

Will

Re:Welcome input on a boat I am considering 9 years 3 months ago #111828

pretty much the same with my mantaray. the only thing i changed was the upholstery and added a console. doubt i would ever receive an offer as high as todd had, but i believe the customcraft cats are in a class of their own. :
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online