Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: need help locating oil filter on a BB70 volvo

need help locating oil filter on a BB70 volvo 9 years 3 months ago #111393

1962 glasspar volvo penta bb70 stern drive. Can't locate the oil filter. Been searching online. New to this type of engine and it was flooded with fresh water. Did plenty of oil changes but still can't locate the filter. Is it in the cooler?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's not what life does to you, its what you do with your life!

Re:need help locating oil filter on a BB70 volvo 9 years 3 months ago #111409

I had the same engine rebuilt in my hydrodyne. The filter is in the oil cooler. Just loosen the center bolt and slide it out. You can buy the filter at Napa. Can't think of the part number, but will let you know when I get home tomorrow. After installing the new filter tighten the bolt back down with a torque wrench to 14lbs. By the way, could you look and see what your plug wires say...I want to get new ones but don't know what to look for.

Dreams do become reality!

Re:need help locating oil filter on a BB70 volvo 9 years 3 months ago #111412

Thank you for the reply. What oil did you use, did you have to but a new gasket too? My plug wires,say "autolite 7.5 mm insulated jacket". The boat got flooded with 3 ft of water and bow I'm putting it all back together after saving the engine. New bow eye is in after snapping off and just down to the final oil change.

Re:need help locating oil filter on a BB70 volvo 9 years 3 months ago #111417

I checked the filter number (wix 51304). Was a lot cheaper purchasing thru amazon instead of NAPA. The cone has a gasket, but a new one will come with the filter. It is just a bit bigger in diameter, but if you work with it, it fits ok. The filter has a felt gasket built onto it that will butt up against the engine block. It really is a very simple thing to change out. When I had my engine rebuilt, I had the oil cooler pressure tested and it had a leak in the top inside where it was joined together. They were able to weld it together. Just make sure that is ok or you will get water in your oil and then a whole lot of headaches! Thanks for the info on the plug wires! Also, the manual calls for 20/20 oil. I have been using 20/40 but just changed to synthetic Mobil1 0/30. My neighbor is quite skilled in mechanics and he highly suggested to change to this, saying it will run cooler and start better. So far on land, it is good:) I'm going to enter a show on Saturday, so we will see how it behaves. What does everyone think about synthetic oil and 0/30 weight?

Dreams do become reality!

Re:need help locating oil filter on a BB70 volvo 9 years 3 months ago #111421

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I run 5W30 Mobil 1 in all my four stroke stuff, including my Mariner 50/4. For "flushing" purposes I'd use conventional oil to help keep cost down, but I've been accused of being over frugal. :laugh:

Mark

Re:need help locating oil filter on a BB70 volvo 9 years 3 months ago #111440

Thank you for your reply. Napa has almost everything for these engines and if not can get it! Here is what I picked up this morning. Ordered it last night at 645 and was there when they opened. I'm changing it all over for a final today with new filter and 5/30 Mobil 1. It's what has been recommended for the most part. I got advice from the previous owner and it's what he used for 25 yrs. Turned her over yest and she started right up and ran for 30 mins no problem. I'm pretty happy with the results since my hubby flooded and sank the boat for the most part. I've been able to clean her up and put her back together with glowing results! I'll post the final results later. Also got the bow eye replaced with a new U bolt style. The single shank style really made for a disaster!

Thank you all for your help. Definitely couldn't have done it without this site!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online