• Page:

TOPIC: Transporting Advice

Transporting Advice 9 years 3 months ago #111269

• damartinca
  • damartinca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
So I'm seriously considering buying a boat in Idaho and I'm located in CA. Does anyone have recommendations for transporting? I know someone will say take a long weekend and go pick it up- 1. I don't have a tow vehicle yet, 2. I have never pulled a boat before, so I wouldn't be comfortable pulling that distance yet which is about 10 hours through mountains.

I checked out uship.com (about $600). Are there any other suggestions?

The seller says the boat is trailerable, but it hasn't been moved or run in 5 years, so I'm reluctant to think it could just be pulled.

Any advice?

Sincerely,
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Transporting Advice 9 years 3 months ago #111270

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
First of all, forget Uship. They take a deep cut for their brokerage service. You can do much better on your own. Towing a trailer is "easy money" for shippers. As long as the boat is on a trailer, shipping will be very reasonable. Best case scenario would be to find a shipper in Idaho who would otherwise have to "dead-head" it back to California. He'll likely do it much cheaper since 60-70% of something beats 100% of nothing.

Secondly, you need to have the boat owner get the trailer in shape for you. Transporters don't do that, they just hook up and go. You'll have to pay him, of course, but it needs to be done.

Next, if you calculate what it would cost you in time, gas, food and lodging, it will become obvious that going to get yourself is a non-economical decision. Hire someone trustworthy and reliable. Ask for references and make sure he's insured...get it in writing.

Lastly, make sure you really want the boat. You'll need to add the cost of getting the trailer in shape and the shipping to the cost of acquisition. It may be that for that amount of money, you can find something better, cheaper and/or closer.

Regardless, good luck!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Transporting Advice 9 years 3 months ago #111280

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Sound Advice. I could not agree more.

:)

StevieB

Re:Transporting Advice 9 years 3 months ago #111375

David:

Nautilus is giving you good advice on the transport of that boat from Idaho to California.

Back in 2010, my Wife and I picked up our 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan in Traverse City, Michigan pulled it back to eastern N.C. on my 24' Kaufman Flatbed Trailer. I was scared to pull the boat on it's original trailer which had not been serviced in awhile.
So,...I pulled it up onto my flatbed with my 10,000lb Warn Winch, then strapped the boat and trailer down very securely and made it back home with no problems.

Do you have a friend near you that may be able to help you?? If not, I would check with some of your local marine shops as they sometimes have "hotshot" trucks that will do it for you. Sir, if I was closer to you, I would be glad to help you.

Here is a photo of how we towed our 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan on my flatbed:
Attachments:

Re:Transporting Advice 9 years 3 months ago #111385

• damartinca
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll post if I end up with the boat.

Signed-
Boatless in waterless California

Re:Transporting Advice 9 years 3 months ago #111659

• damartinca
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the feedback. I just couldn't get everything to be in agreement. The biggest issue was getting the trailer ready for the travel. Without being there, that in and of itself was a little bit of a challenge. The parts for an old trailer, etc... Plus, not knowing Boise or anyone in Idaho didn't help.

Then the liability for towing the boat all that way fell on me and I couldn't insure the boat and trailer because I don't own them. Plus in California (and probably elsewhere), if an accident should occurs on the freeway, say an axle brakes and the trailer hitd into a car. The liability is actually with the transport company, but they in their paperwork say that you as the shipper are responsible.

And flat-bedding transport was just too expensive. More than the cost of the boat.

Long story long, it didn't happen. At least I tried.

-David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online