Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1958 tomahawk ski mate

1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110834

how do I find transom pad and side step pads for my 1958 tomahawk ski-mate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110836

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome aboard Dennis. Any pictures? Side step pads. do you mean the step pads on the gunwale? Transom pad like a motor mount?

I'm sure someone here will know where you can find something. You might want to check the "glassifieds" above and search.

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110838

I have attached files below for your review. I have an all original boat, motor and trailer with correct serial numbers. Boat was in storage most of its life with very little use. I am in the process of having it professionally repainted only because the paint had been faded over the years. But everything was in great condition as can be seen in attached files below. I have a lot of documentation I have done a lot of research and I cant find another all original one like it. Yes step pads on the gunwale and Transom pad like a motor mount

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110844

dennis55,

WELCOME ABOARD. - Also GOOD CATCH.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110848

Sounds like a great boat, dennis. Mine is nothing but a stripped hull.

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110866

step pads from Overtons.com. I installed two step pads on each side for the front seat one for the back seat.

Transom Pad is made out of 1/8" aluminum plate with 1" radius corners. Aluminum plate ordered from the internet.

A little hard to see the step pads in the photos. I have done five Tomahawks all together. I live in Wisconsin where they were make. There are a lot of them around this area.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110867

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Dennis,
We fabricate 14ga. stainless steel transom plates. Our standard transom plate is 22" wide, 10" deep on the outside, and 5.25 inches deep on the inside. I have 2 in stock at the moment.

Larry
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachments:

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110953

Gregg thanks for your reply. I have attached pics to my previous post so you can see my boat from different positions. I have a couple of questions that you might be able to clarify for me. I looked at your boat pics and there are some differences for example. My boat looks like the 1958 tomahawk ski mate listed on the catalog that's on the glassifieds. The bow surface has a raised centerline and tapers down slightly on either side, yours has raised detail lines on both sides of bow surface. Did they make two different bow designs for 1958 tomahawk ski mate?

Re: 1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110967

denniss55,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110968

gdanderson,

NICE RIG & I really WISH that I could find a HOMELITE 55 like that one for a Texas-built 16 foot hull that I have "squirreled away" at Mother's.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110984

It looks like you already have the transom mount for the splash well, so I'm guessing you want someting that will also cover the area under the motor mounts outside the transom? What I've seen is any that are out there include part for the screw mounts. You can do any number of things including buying the transom pads (available in several different areas...just do a search fo outboard transom pad) and cut off the screw mount part, which is easiest.

Or, get some heavy duty lined rubber, cut it to size of the mounts, and put it under for protection. I went to local truck place and boaught a heavy duty mud flap and cut to size. Works great and protects the boat finish.

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110988

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I have the original rubber pad with screws that goes over the transom that I am looking to replace. its has worn out over time. I will search for transom pads per your recommendation. I am also looking for correct 1958 tomahawk ski mate logo labels. I am not sure that the ones I had were correct symbol. do you know where I could find these.

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110995

Going to have to dig out a file. All my boats have a file. A guy here in Wisconsin reproduces these. I have bought about five sets.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

How about that I found the information!!

Gerald Nelson
W5914 Freedom Ct.
Montello, WI 53949

608-589-5507

He has NO computer. Call him after dinner, but not to late. Everything is via U.S. Mail and check, NO PayPal. Nice guy, you will like him. Keep in mind the last time I contacted him was 5 years ago. Hope he is still around. Good Luck!!!
Attachments:

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #110996

Thanks Gregg,

for the help on the tomahawk labels. any advice for finding the rubber transom pad?

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #111008

Are you sure it is a 58? what I have seen which I can't say is exact is that the 58 had a plastic molded emblem and flat bow. The 59 had the round decal like I see in your picture and flat bow. 60 and 61 had raised structure on bow and flat raised floor. Very curious how much you know about the history of the boat. I am always looking to distinguish years. Thanks
Sorry I am no help with the step pads. I found a donor boat to get mine.

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #111044

Hi Junior Boarder,

Thanks for your response. I agree determining correct year can be very difficult since there's not a lot of info or pics from 1957 to 1960.In the glassified section there is a spec sheet and advertisement for the 1958 tomahawk ski mate and my boat matches the 1958 specs exactly. You are correct on the round decal. I wasn't sure it was correct either. I am in the process of a groung up restoration and noticed when I removed the round decal the imprint of the original decal was there which matches the 1958 advertisement decal.
I have attached both files below for your review. I also confirmed that the 1958 and 1959 had smooth structure on bow and 1960 and 1961 had raised structure on bow. Also spring cushion seats became available in those years as well. another point od differentiation. What initially confused me was there are pics on this site of beautifully remodeled boats listed as 1958 Tomahawk ski mates and they looked significantly different. They have raised structure on bow, they have 2 step pads on both sides to get into boat and I have one on each side and the helm area has a totally different layout, some with gauges and padding. So I can see how everyone has struggled with these particular dates. For now I can find any other 1958 15ft all original tomahawk ski mates with original engine and trailer. let me know if you or anyone else is able to find any. Thanks again
Attachments:

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #111045

Attached file below is the advertisement from the glassifieds under tomahawk. great source of info for tomahawk boats
Attachments:

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #111055

Also take a look at the attached link for some history on the boat. Has a really interesting history. The best part is, I searched on the internet for months and months and finally found one other 1958 tomahawk ski mate that looked like mine. As part of my on going search to find other 1958's, again this was the only one I could find. So as I was looking closer at the pics I noticed that this boat not only looked similar by exactly the same as my boat. The pics were dated 2006ish, and suddenly, I was thinking no way, it cant be. So I wrote down the hull registration #s and went outside, uncovered the hull and sure enough it was the same boat. I couldn't believe it so now I am thinking could this be the only one left or one of the only completely original 1958 tomahawk ski mate boat, motor and trailer package to exist.

www.nemusclebikes.com/mc15.php

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #111057

Dennis, is there an ID plate with Model # and Serial #? Model number changed between '58 & '59. Mine has an OBA plate on the transom with these numbers.

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #111069

The one I found beside the road in Maine had a smooth bow, as I recall. Hard to tell from the pictures I took.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/sightings/monson-maine-sighting

Ron

Re:1958 tomahawk ski mate 9 years 4 months ago #111071

Does anyone understand the differentiation between "air chamber" and "air tank" flotation on the model sheet above?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online