• Page:

TOPIC: Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND

Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110652

• oc92
  • oc92's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My wife and kids wanted a boat because we live in a coastal town and I have always loved the older crafts so the hunt began. Being an old VW guy (buses and bugs) I knew the style I wanted: as unmolested as possible, two tone, an automotive feel to it, and enough for a family of four. I lurked on Craigslist for a while and found a couple decent ones but for one reason or another they didn't work out... used and abused, hacked up, extensive hull issues, etc. The hunt gave me time to learn about boats. I can count on my hand the number of times I have been out on the water so simple things like how to tie a dock cleat knot needed to be learned. Reading about other's follies like forgetting to put in the drain plug were helpful!

One afternoon I came across a 1964 Dixie boat that had just been posted for sale and was about 2 hours away. Dixie is a brand that is local to the Carolinas but has not been in business for a while. I left after work to check it out... bringing with me the boat buying checklist I found on the internet and a deposit.

The seller said his friend found it in the boat house of a lake front property that had been put up for sale when the elderly owner passed. It had been off the water for 30 years. He was a marine tech and got the original 1964 Evinrude 60 hp resurrected, then used the boat for a few years but wanted something different now. Very original- check. Two tone- check. Stylish- check.

I reupholstered the seats using vinyl found online and foam from a VW camper, rebuild/prime/painted the frames, and added a lot of new stainless hardware. I swapped out the black speakers for silver (not pictured), added a depth finder, added two bilge pumps, tinkered, lubed and tuned, replaced gear oil, found a NOS prop, added scupper valves, cleaned/waxed/detailed it, etc.

The kids are excited and all I have left is to re-stitch the top. The boat resides in a covered storage area on my property and I have no plans to "update" it in any way. The p.o. added the stereo and speakers so I will live with that. If you like barn finds, enjoy the pics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110653

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Beautiful boat there.Those Dixie boats were great boats. You've done it up right. My Aristcraft has the same steering wheel. I think those boats were built in Newton,NC if I'm not mistaken. Your gonna love it.

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110661

Excellent find ,heads will turn for sure. Enjoy !!! Paper work is always a plus .

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110668

• oc92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks!
Yes, good call on the wheel. I think I one on a late 50's model. It has gold flake cast in the plastic rim.

Dixies were from Newton, correct. I found a guy who owns a boat place in a town near Newton that remembers when his family was a Dixie dealer. He showed me a time capsule bass boat from the early 70's. His story was that a long time customer who originally got the boat from his family's shop decided to part with it and offered it to him. He said there was wax still on the hull from where the factory pulled it off the mold... it was only used in the water a handful of times!

Our plans are to island hop the Intercoastal, go tubing, explore the river, and keep it stock.

Question- any idea where to get clips like this for the soft top? They are used to clip on to the windshield. I tried the OE manufacturer Taylor Made but no-dice. I may just do snaps but thought I would ask.
Attachments:

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110684

I would track down shops that build or repair canvas boat tops.
They would have or know whether or not such clips are still available - or what the options are today.
Be sure and carry lots of fuel, and make sure that you only use half of what you are carrying when turning back.
That era of OMC v-4s are very thirsty beasts, but otherwise sweet & dependable.
doc

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110712

Great looking boat and excellent find! It looks like you'll be enjoying for a long time. Hopefully, my first and only boat will be out of the shop in a couple of weeks (after 2+ years of waiting) and my family will be out on the water. I also am a VW nut and have a 56 oval sunroof, a 62 convertible, and a 65 deluxe bus. If you're interested in any of those, let me know!

Happy boating!
Mark

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110717

eldrem00,

WELCOME ABOARD. - I'd love to have a BRIGHT RED VW rag-top, like the 1968 model that I had when I was in college. = Had LOTS of FUN with pretty coeds way back then!!!!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110719

• oc92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, the fuel thing... I guess it is the price you pay to play. It won't be used for long drag out trips though. Mostly tubing and island hopping. It has a 6 gallon tank and I have a 2 gallon reserve. P.O. said about 2 gallons and hour. But this thing wouldn't look right with a gas sipping plastic import buzz bomb anyway! No dice at the local shops r/e the clips. I think I will do snaps.

Mark- sounds like you have a nice collection. I have a lowered black old Beetle with red interior and Fuchs and a nice patina paint. My bus is a tintop camper. Each of them was towed out of a field and took me a few years each to fix up. Very affordable to do it this way. I funded the boat purchase by selling my parts bus which I had turned into a kid playhouse, now outgrown.

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 4 months ago #110727

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Very Nice!
Congrats!

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 3 months ago #111551

• oc92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
An update- I could not track down replacement clips so I drilled them out and installed snaps on the top and the windshield. After stitching a lot of the seams and treating the stains, the soft top came out real nice. I used a very diluted bleach and dish soap hot water mix, then sun, followed by Iosso canvas cleaner. Just a heads up if you encounter the same issue.
Attachments:

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 3 months ago #111556

oc92,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Our "new" 1964 Dixie BARN FIND 9 years 3 months ago #111563

Not exact but look at top boot clips for 68 camaro convertible. Might work.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle