• Page:

TOPIC: The While-We've-Got-it-Apart Flying Scott Repaint

The While-We've-Got-it-Apart Flying Scott Repaint 9 years 4 months ago #110393

• shacomm
  • shacomm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
At the end of last summer I started having issues shifting the motor. We've never had reverse but even worse was the shift lever was becoming increasingly difficult to move from Neutral to Forward. I could push it with the cables but it got to the point that I couldn't move the lever by hand when it was disconnected from the control cables. The issue was rust in the shift lever post that runs across the top of the mid section of the motor. Unfortunately to get to this part, the power head needs to be removed. So in the grand tradition of "while-we've-got-it-apart" I decided to repaint the entire motor. Least fun part of the project home glass media blasting with a too small compressor. Most fun part of project turning crusty old parts into factory fresh parts.
BEFORE

AFTER

Tip of the hat to Eduardo for the inspiration to paint the Quick Silver steering wheel two-tone.

The good news is the motor is shifting great and I believe I will even be able to back up the boat this summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:The While-We've-Got-it-Apart Flying Scott Repaint 9 years 4 months ago #110399

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Turned out really nice Shacomm, nice work!

Mark

Re:The While-We've-Got-it-Apart Flying Scott Repaint 9 years 4 months ago #110432

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Looks Fantastic Stephen. I like what you've done not only on the motor and your recent paint job, great job btw, but overall on the entire boat. It's noteworthy that I have known about your boat for sometime now originally from my neighborhood. When the previous owner told me he was selling, he asked if I was interested. I'm glad you got her Stephen.

Also, just checked out your Blog. Very cool.

Email sent.

Eduardo

Re:The While-We've-Got-it-Apart Flying Scott Repaint 9 years 4 months ago #110472

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Excellent! You give me more inspiration to paint my '58 Johnnie RDS-20. It's completely apart now also. lower unit is at a repair shop getting some stuff welded.

EDWARDO...I scammed some pics of the Lone Star Mystic you did. I'm in the process of rebuilding one now. The thing was trashed but now I'm to the point of repairing the top section. How did you put the two halves together on your mystic? Got to repair the upper half.

Sorry for the hijack....
Cal
Attachments:

Re:The While-We've-Got-it-Apart Flying Scott Repaint 9 years 4 months ago #110492

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
63 Sabre wrote:

Excellent! You give me more inspiration to paint my '58 Johnnie RDS-20. It's completely apart now also. lower unit is at a repair shop getting some stuff welded.

EDWARDO...I scammed some pics of the Lone Star Mystic you did. I'm in the process of rebuilding one now. The thing was trashed but now I'm to the point of repairing the top section. How did you put the two halves together on your mystic? Got to repair the upper half.

Sorry for the hijack....
Cal

Hi Cal, I replied to your original Lone Star Mystic post.

Eduardo

Re:The While-We've-Got-it-Apart Flying Scott Repaint 9 years 4 months ago #110508

• shacomm
  • shacomm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Eduardo your boats (and trailer) have been an inspiration to me. The manual I got with my boat from the old owner has your name and phone number etched on a page in the back it says "glass windshield". I should have driven over to your house that day. Every time I collect some mad money something else goes crazy... one of these days I'll get my act together. Its not a show boat but its a "driver".

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online