Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fat Fifty good bad or?

Fat Fifty good bad or? 9 years 4 months ago #110352

I pulled out "Four Year Mamma" . I planned on trial fitting My 1959 Johnson needing to be re-sealed. Out of the blue a friend called on same day. He had an extra rebuilt 1959 Fat fifty with electric start.
So question are they any good? Or just another display? This boat will get done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Fat Fifty good bad or? 9 years 4 months ago #110353

The Fat 50 is a great running, high torque, low RPM monster that quaffs fuel at an alarming rate. Can't kill em though.

Re: Fat Fifty good bad or? 9 years 4 months ago #110364

Dave the Wave,

ImVho, Al told you the true facts. = That is the thirstiest OB that I know of for its HP, the leak lots of OB fuel overboard BUT it's near indestructible.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Fat Fifty good bad or? 9 years 4 months ago #110368

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
The 75hp V4 is even thirstier!!!!

The Fat Fifty's original reed block design was terrible for flow and a lot of gas just dropped out the bottom of the motor. The 75hp V4 and later-model 60, 65, 80 hp used a "pyramid" type of reed block that was much better.

The later-style reed blocks can be retrofitted to a Fat Fifty for an improvement in performance. As I recall, you might be able to use 60hp heads for better compression. Or plane the 50hp heads, but you've gotta be careful about that! I recall a lengthy discussion here about doing that kinda stuff, so you might search the J.E.G.O forum for that.

Years ago my brother had an early 60's 60hp Gale on his Glasspar. The Gale was basically an upgraded Fat Fifty. It ran pretty good and wasn't Extremely Horrible on gas.

Other than fuel consumption, great old motor, classic looks, if you like big, bulbous engines!!! If you have any stumps in the lake to pull, the ol' Heavy-Duty lower unit will handle them, no problem!!!

Cheers........ed

p.s. for comparison, check out the different reed block designs:

early 50hp(#15-#19): www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1958&hp=50&model=50012&manufacturer=Evinrude§ion=Carburetor

75hp (#23-#25): www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1960&hp=75&model=50522&manufacturer=Evinrude§ion=Starflite+Carburetor

Re: Fat Fifty good bad or? 9 years 4 months ago #110473

I sure dont like the idea of pouring fuel into my lake. Sounds like it runs super rich. So fuel consumption.....At half throttle cruising 5 gallons per hour?

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re: Fat Fifty good bad or? 9 years 4 months ago #110478

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
I recommend an inline fuel flowmeter, at least then you'd know how fast you're going broke!!!

Probably the most economical cruising speed for the old V4's is to advance the throttle 'til the distributor hits the timing stop; at that point the carb butterflys aren't way open yet.

Merc had the same idea with their distributor drives, E.C.K. called it the "Economizer" collar.

If you've ever looked down the 2-barrels of one of these when they're running full throttle, the fuel flow is downright scary! :0

Re: Fat Fifty good bad or? 9 years 4 months ago #110482

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Dave, your ship has come in.
I'm parting out a 1960 75hp Rude. Everything is on the motor now 'cept the starter which was gone on ebay in just a few days. The carb and fuel pump have some watchers but the heads and reeds are all intact still on the motor. If you're interested me PM me. Going to put the recoil and magneto on the net probably tomorrow. The motor was a true barn find and smells like it :laugh:

The starter is gone now but you can see the condition of the carb area.
Cal
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online