Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is there wood in my Tomahawk SkiMate

Is there wood in my Tomahawk SkiMate 9 years 5 months ago #109615

So, this Tomahawk SkiMate was an impulse buy. What I know about boats would fit on a grain of rice. The fiberglass all looks solid, no cracks, no softspots. Now that I'm doing research I keep reading about rotted wood between the layers of fiber glass. Does anyone know if there is any wood in this Tomahawk? It appears to just be single layer fiberglass with the exception of the flotation boxes and a small area around the foot area in the bow. The transom seems solid and only has one area about the size of a 2x6 that could be wood.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Is there wood in my Tomahawk SkiMate 9 years 5 months ago #109635

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Dave, Welcome aboard.

No there is no wood mixed with the fiberglass. Can you see the transom wood or is it sandwiched between glass. If it's encapsulated you can take a small drill bit 1/4" or less and take a core sample. Drill a few inches up from the bottom on the inside of the transom, do not go entirely through and see if the wood is dark and damp (rotting). If it's wet the transom should be replaced which is not all that difficult really. Usually the "floatation boxes", seats, were filled with foam. These might be waterlogged but I would doubt that in this case since they are high and dry from the deck. Same with the foot area which might have a wooded kick panel in front. Looks like the boat is in good condition, needs some high pressure cleaning though.
We're here to help.

Transom replacement.

May be a wood kick panel in front, drill this also to find out.
This one was rotted plywood that was replaced.
Attachments:

Re:Is there wood in my Tomahawk SkiMate 9 years 5 months ago #109636

Thanks Sabre, that eases my mind. The transom is totally encapsulated in fiberglass. It feels and sounds solid, but I'll test it to be certain.

Re:Is there wood in my Tomahawk SkiMate 9 years 5 months ago #109646

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
no there is no wood in your boat, except for in the transom, which does not go all the way down, which is why most of these transom cores seldom need replaced, as I was told a month ago from another fellow tomahawk owner, when I brought mine home, via the "bringing home another fiber friend" post in the main forum. =)

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Is there wood in my Tomahawk SkiMate 9 years 5 months ago #109706

Welcome VintageDave,

How big is your grain of rice? It might be fair to explain that 'replacing the transom' refers to the wood contained within, not the whole transom including fiberglass.

When the boat was made the fiberglass hull was finished before the wood was glued & clamped in place. This wood was then encapsulated with more fiberglass to seal it completely. When mounting a motor many did not seal the holes they drilled to take the mounting bolts and this often let water inside causing the wood to gradually rot. If you find it is necessary to replace this wood remove the inside encapsulation and wood, but do not damage the outside skin of the hull. If you need guidance ask and there are many here who will assist. Search 'replacing transom' and you will probably find posts describing the process with photos. It is not difficult, just take sensible care without shortcuts.

I bought a boat (rare & desirable here) where the previous owner "replaced the transom". You guessed it, he cut the whole lot out, so losing the shape as well as the finish. It is a major project to bring it back to as it was.

Ken.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online