• Page:

TOPIC: upholstery forum

upholstery forum 9 years 5 months ago #109341

• Willdiver
  • Willdiver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok guys, if we're dealing with old boats, then we are also dealing with torn and faded upholstery.
I have my grandfather's old machine, a Singer 95-10. (CCurrently in restoration....tI'll I got a boat...) and I'm interested in how we all go about the stitching and such that really makes the finished boat 'pop'

Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:upholstery forum 9 years 5 months ago #109344

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There are a couple great tutorials here Will, one in the Research / Restoration section;
www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/making-boat-seat-cushions
and several others in the main forum. Just type in upholstery or sewing into the Search Forum box in the upper right corner of the screen. That will bring up all the posts related to the subject(s). ;)

Mark

Re:upholstery forum 9 years 5 months ago #109401

here is a link to auto upholstery videos,its basicly the same as boats,i hope they help you.
www.bing.com/videos/search?q=auto+upholstery+videos+diy&mid=479CEBEDF72DB42E6D85479CEBEDF72DB42E6D85&view=detail&FORM=VIRE2

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:upholstery forum 9 years 5 months ago #109410

When I wanted to have my Boat Re-Upholstered I was shocked at the costs for a Pro Upholstery shop to do the work. I began to investigate "Doing it myself" That was 3 years ago and Boy did I learn a LOT!!! But...I did learn and have since started doing upholstery as a side job. I guess what I'm saying is It can be done by the DIY'r with a Heavy Duty HOME sewing machine IF, you have the Knack for it. Some do some don't. I can't tell you if you will or not. I've seen some try and NOT be successful, others have done some exceptional "PRO LIKE" work. Like JG says, watching videos, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE will soon clue you in on to whether or not you have the Knack!!! I really enjoy it and have gotten pretty good at it but I still learn a lot every time I sit down in front of the machine and press the foot lever!!!! If you want to try, I HIGHLY recommend the old 1945-52 Model 15-91 Singers. They will sew anything you can stick under the foot!!! Lot's of em still around and you can usually pick one up in good shape for around $100 bucks. They only do straight stitching but 95% of all upholstery work is only straight stitching. A Walking Foot machine IS the ultimate but you'll pay a minimum of $300 bucks and up to $1,500. Don't really need one to do basic vinyl seats etc. the Singer 15-91 will do them very nicely. Let me know if I can be of any assistance with your upholstery wants or needs.

Re:upholstery forum 9 years 5 months ago #109470

i have seen flaming's work,it is fantastic!

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:upholstery forum 9 years 5 months ago #109532

john-gibson wrote:

i have seen flamingo's work,it is fantastic!

Yeah but John, you're just like me...Getting Long in the Tooth and 1/2 Blind!!!! :ohmy:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online