Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: looking for a few steering parts and help

looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109267

I've been on this site here and there as I am coming near to completing a "57 herters flying fish. The boat itself is pretty much complete and the motor is going to be ready in a few weeks. I'm looking for assistance with a few parts and some help setting up the cable & pulley steering as it was not connected up when I originally started working on the boat. I purchased a Kiekhaefer steering wheel but it did not come with the pulley on the back to wrap the cable around for the steering so I would be interest in tracking that unit down. As well as looking for help setting on how the proper way is to set up the cable & pulley steering. The motor going on the boat is a 1957 mercury mark 55

Thanks
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109268

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I might be able to help you out. I. Have a pulley from an old Atwood steering wheel. Don't know if it will work with what you have though. Has a 3/4" center hole and is 3 3/4" dia x 2 1/2" h.

-Brian

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109270

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0

-Brian

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109271

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Here's how I connected the motor portion of a cable system.
Attachments:

Re: looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109291

Do you have the two gimble (?) pulleys that mount underneath the deck on either side of the dash? These run the cable down the side of the boat. And if I remember right they are secured by two bolts that come thru the trim from the outside and hold the pully on the inside
D

Re: looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109292

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'll check my box of "stuff" today and get back to you. Most of those pulleys get brittle and chip. Would be nice to see some pics of your Herters. I did a '57 a few years back, took a million pics during the process.
Attachments:

Re: looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109299

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
This is all I have left in my stash. Not for sale though, sorry. They are all period correct. Solid brass with perfect pulleys but they would be what you might be looking for. also the anchor loops for the cable ends and guide for the cable under the gunwale. I'm in the process now of putting in new anchor points for a cable system on a '64 Lone Star. 3/4" ply for backing. The front and back pulleys will be through bolted from the outside through the backers to prevent the bolts from pulling through the fiberglass hull. First picture is the front 3"x3", second pic is where the old bolts went through the hull. Last picture is of the new transom and you can see where the back pulleys will be placed. Everything has to be glassed over yet. Still working on that today. Final picture is of the pulleys et al.
Attachments:

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109302

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
i'll check out my junk box and see what I have. let you know when I find out. frog

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109425

thanks guys, I was looking on the boat and I see a space where there looks like there were pulleys. 2 along 1 side of the boat and one along the other. this boat was set up with steering wheel on the port side so there are 2 spots on the port side. 1 up near there steering wheel and 1 in the rear and starboard side only has 1 near the rear of the boat. I think that's whats throwing me off the most right now. Also was looking at steering wheel that I currently have and it looks a little on the big side for me to be able to get underneath so may be looking for whole new setup(steering wheel and all)... i'll see what I can do to update some pitcures

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109435

ok, I did a little bit of research and it looks like the steering wheel and mount bezel are for the early style rack and pinion that's probably why it seems to not fit up the space correctly so I would be in the market for a whole steering assembly with cable drum. I found some on ebay but they are marked up pretty high and was hoping to not spend that much.

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109437

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109439

Not sure if you know but you can get the steering with a 45 degree beziel on the dash side moves the steering wheel up to give you more room.

D

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109440

that would be exactly what I need if I can track one down. unfortunately all of the steering was out of the boat so this being my first restore I don't have much to go off of for it. Thanks for the help

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109462

Well well well, I'm in Kittanning. Hi Neighbor.

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109465

Attachments:

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109491

hey, not to far away at all. howdy neighbor

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109516

hi al,i live between indiana and clymer and my brother in law lives in parkwood,in fact im going camping out your way at wheel-in campground,this weekend,i would like to meet ya and see your herters i sold one about 3 years ago,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:looking for a few steering parts and help 9 years 5 months ago #109518

Alzamnbotti send me your email
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online