Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fiberglass floor

Fiberglass floor 9 years 5 months ago #109149

We just bought what I believe is a 60 or 61 Tomahawk Ski-Mate. It appears that the floor was just carpet glued directly to the fiberglass. Should we consider adding decking? If not, are there any special precautions we should take with the floor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fiberglass floor 9 years 5 months ago #109150

FYI, this is what the floor currently looks like.
Attachments:

Re:Fiberglass floor 9 years 5 months ago #109153

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You will lose freeboard if you install decking. I'm currently adding a deck to my PowerCat and wish it done! In the end its up to you. I put carpet in my last boat and it looks great, when its clean. Use a carpet that matches sand. Welcome aboard !

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re: Fiberglass floor 9 years 5 months ago #109174

VintageDave,

WELCOME ABOARD. - I once had a similar boat & ended up putting a deck over the bare glass floor with 1/2 inch PVC pipes under it as "duck boards" & laying a piece of carpeted 5mm plywood over the pipes.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Fiberglass floor 9 years 5 months ago #109181

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Dave, welcome. I've done several bottoms with carpet and also had to remove some pretty ratty stuff from previous owners attempts. If you decide to put the carpet down there are good selections at most Home depot, Loews, Fleet etc. Make sure you get something for outdoor use and has a rubber backing. Do not use construction glue, ie. "tough as nails" or similar because it gradually hardens and will crack and separate. Use a good contact cement. I'm not a fan of the latex stuff but if you prefer it will work. Pre-fit the carpet before you glue it down because with contact cement there are no do overs :angry:
Clean up the floor really good, sand down or grind any rough spots. I find that my 4" grinder with a stiff wire brush works excellent for taking off the old gunk, and do a good prep.

Do not use black carpet, very hard to keep clean and shows dirt and sand more than you can imagine but it feels good on the bare feet during summer.
Attachments:

Re: Fiberglass floor 9 years 5 months ago #109413

I saw a guy that did his 60's Aluminum boat similar in style to yours, with a Teak slat deck and 15 coats of marine varnish. Man that was a beautiful restoration. I'll see if I can find pics. I bet you could do the same with Western Red Cedar too!!

Re:Fiberglass floor 9 years 5 months ago #109416

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That looks nice, way to nice to put your feet on! LOL

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle