Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1961 American Marc Spitfire 16'

1961 American Marc Spitfire 16' 9 years 5 months ago #108780

Hey guys, the wife saw a boat for sale and got the contact information. I called them up and it's a 1961 American Marc and I believe it's a Spitfire.

Turns out there is a craigslist ad (I hope I don't get sniped on this since we are very interested but I have to go out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday to purchase if the forum agrees this is a good buy:

bozeman.craigslist.org/boa/4932181534.html

I can find almost no information on them, esp this model. What info I did find came from this site.

I read that particular Evinrude is a gas hog and the electric shift can be troublesome.

Does this look like a good first gentle lake on weekends boat for two people?

Anyone heard of one or been in one?

If that motor isn't worth buying a starter for are there other recommended motors for it? I can't afford a few thousand for a motor.

Thanks for any input. It's a beautiful boat for sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1961 American Marc Spitfire 16' 9 years 5 months ago #108783

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome Mike!

The American Marc Stardust and Craig Spitfire are the same boat. I have come across an austrailian company that made a very similar boat up into the 70s. I was looking into purchasing a Craig Spitfire but the marina it was located in closed down and I'm having a difficult time getting in touch with the owner.

That being said, $800 for that is a good deal if it comes with the trailer, motor, and it's a solid hull. Good luck getting it!

-Brian

Re:1961 American Marc Spitfire 16' 9 years 5 months ago #108786

I read your thread before I got a chance to register ;)

I think at this point I really want to know about that motor and others that would fit it, if any.

I don't know much about boats...I had been looking for a canoe for Montana lakes when the wife found this and she likes the idea of power better than paddle.

Mike

Re:1961 American Marc Spitfire 16' 9 years 5 months ago #108790

buy it...buy it

Re:1961 American Marc Spitfire 16' 9 years 5 months ago #108796

It looks like a well-cared for boat and comes with all the hardware. Except: there doesn't appear to be a wiring harness from the motor. Unless something else was jury-rigged, there should be a factory wiring harness that plugs into the side of the motor. For the Evinrude electric-shift motors, there won't be a shift lever on the side of the motor. And you will need an Evinrude "Selectric" electric-shift remote control which is a single lever throttle control with push-button gear shift. That is, unless the motor was jury-rigged some other way.

Otherwise, check out the floor in the boat and the transom for soft spots (rot). I believe the Spitfire has a balsa core? Long-time member Bruce G. had two of these boats, maybe he can chime in.

Re: 1961 American Marc Spitfire 16' 9 years 5 months ago #108799

AbnMike,

WELCOME ABOARD.- NIFTY rig, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle