• Page:

TOPIC: Maybe it's time for the 1980s?

Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108671

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
A 1980 boat is now 35 years old. It occurs to me that a topic something like "Yuppie Yots" or something similar to address the newly-vintage 1980's Reagan era models might be interesting to many. Right now, they seem to be orphans without a home. Sure, there are a ton of boring 1980s models out there but there were (and still are) some really interesting boats: Donzi, Formula, Stingray, Chris Craft, etc. and they have a large following....just a thought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108677

You are making me feel old. My oldest was born in 80. :blink:

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108679

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'd have to agree Jan, some of the early to mid eighties stuff including some of the Carlsons are Classics IMHO. Maybe time to open a new forum, or expand the 70's to "70's and 80's"?

Mark

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108682

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You're right...I somehow forgot to mention the Glastron Carlsons. I still get calls about the Scimitar I had for sale two years ago. Also, how about the Chris Craft Scorpions and Stingers? I replace stringers and decking in 1980s boats all the time. I figure if they're old enough to need stringer replacement and owners think enough of them to pay to save them, they must be worthy of discussion.
Attachments:

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108688

Nautilus,

Fwiw, there are a considerable number of CUSTOM-BUILTS and "ONE-OFFS" out there that some group NEEDS to start a forum/website/???? for preserving. = The BEAUTIFUL works of art by the late/lamented NELSON SILVIA of coastal NC for just one designer/builder of note.

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108695

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK then, maybe a new forum category could be called "None of the Above" or "Future Glassics."

"Success makes...

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108697

Nautilus; All,

Either category works for me. - I just think that SOMEBODY should have a category for such NICE one-off & custom-built hulls.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108719

Sanger also had some nice models in the 80's. Maybe not stylistic so, but some of the flattest wake ski boats were the Sanger Barefoot outboards.

Will

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108727

I was born in '75- first boat ride was in a friend's uncle's Checkmate about 1984 or 85. In my head, that's classic. ;)

I'm all for it.

Jay

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108736

I agree, totally! Let's kick it off: I'll create the new forum and give it a temporary name. Then let's use this thread and the poll to rename it to something we vote on. How does that sound like for a plan?

Hello, World!!

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108747

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great, Ken! I suggest: "The 80s-Future Glassics" but actually, any name would do. No need to vote. It's your site. You choose. By the way, I still need to renew my display ad. Please get back to me. Thanks

"Success makes...

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108769

Oh nooooooooo. Ish. The 1980s was a horrible decade.

Would a Dodge Aspen ever be considered a classic automobile? I don't think there are any 1980s boats worth considering as classic.

This is just my humble opinion.

Andreas

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108793

I had an 80 Aspen Wagon best cry-sler I ever owned. Frame only rotted in two places. Only had to replace the fenders twice too. :( It died at 63 thousand.

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108798

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
1980s boats don't really need to be considered classic to be worth discussing. There's already a section for wooden boats...not exactly what you'd call "fiberglassics" and that goes for the aluminum boats as well. I'd be willing to bet that a 1980s category would get a lot of traffic. It would certainly fill what seems to be a gap in the collector boat topics available on the site.

"Success makes...

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108800

kensikora,

EXCELLENT.

I agree. - A Work of Art, like a rose, is the same by any category name.
(Fyi, I'm trying to buy a Nelson Silvia Atlantic Skiff 19, of which about a dozen were made total & completely by hand.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108805

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
After the 70's Disco Fiber, going decade by decade is OK with me. Gives the option of adding on in the future by request. Just be prepared for many Bayliner posts. I see many of them for sale cheap because they need structure repairs and total rebuilds.

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108806

Jan, good point there are quite a few nice fast hulls from the 80's that were cool looking, but Kerry has a very good point, is the Yugo of Glass Boats (Bayliner) really a classic we want to see posted all the time. Yes I know, eventually some one may look at them and say wow look at that old boat isn't it cool, but I highly doubt it's still going to be any time soon. Sorry to any Bayliner fans or owners. Just my 2 cents

Bob

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108807

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Bob, I repaired one Bayliner about 10 years ago and after checking it out I swore I would never even look at another. Just a POS stem to stern IMHO.
That being said I see no problem with adding a string for the '80's boats. I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter designs but there are some customs that were made.
Andreas, You really have to stop by some time when you're in the neighborhood. I'm less than 50 miles from Marinette Marine.

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108813

63 Sabre wrote:

Bob, I repaired one Bayliner about 10 years ago and after checking it out I swore I would never even look at another. Just a POS stem to stern IMHO.
That being said I see no problem with adding a string for the '80's boats. I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter designs but there are some customs that were made.
Andreas, You really have to stop by some time when you're in the neighborhood. I'm less than 50 miles from Marinette Marine.

Bob, I am driving from Peshtigo to Madison today and back tomorrow. Work trip. Really don't have time to stop. Maybe Sunday morning when I drive back to Minneapolis?

Andreas

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108814

robert-lorigan wrote:

I had an 80 Aspen Wagon best cry-sler I ever owned. Frame only rotted in two places. Only had to replace the fenders twice too. :( It died at 63 thousand.

My mother had the Dodge Aspen. Piece of junk. I don't know how many times it had factory recalls. I remember the fender replacement, twice! It spent as much time at the dealership as on the road. My father picked it out for my mom. She wanted a Pontiac. He insisted on the "Aspen" because of the name. His company was making an aspen lumber species paneling at the time. Not a good reason to make an automobile selection!

Andreas

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108815

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You guys are tough. You need a little imagination and creativity. Take the example below: All you need to do is strengthen the hull, replace the interior, change the windshield and add a pair of fins. You'll have a classic that people will pay big bucks for...in 50 years. Embrace the timeless classic Bayliners. Do it for your grandchildren!
Attachments:

"Success makes...

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108875

Why not? ACBS now calls any boat of any material from 1976-1990 (rolling 25 years ago) a Late Classic (except PWC's and pontoon's!), so bring on the boats from the 80's.

It was certainly the last decade where lots and lots of new boats were sold. You don't have to have fins to be a classic. After all, boats, like cars, only had fins for a relatively few years. My 1966 MFG only has the slightest hint of fins.

I too bought a new 1977 Dodge Aspen wagon. I agree - a piece of junk, although my tow vehicle now is a 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible and it's a far better car than the Aspen was.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108878

Soooo much talk about Dodge Aspen wagons, so here ya go, a really decent original for only $3000.00 Canadian which is like 50 cents U.S. right now, such a bargain!!!!
www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/owen-sound/1980-aspen-wagon/1065787721?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

LOL

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108879

What are 2 things you just can't get rid of....
Herpes and a used Bayliner!!

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108883

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The innovative music of that period was called "New Wave." Only time will tell what music, and boats, was/were worthy.

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108884

Just my opinion guys, but I don't think it's time for 1980s boats on this particular site. Just the suggestion of it has turned into Bayliner bashing, some from folks who are otherwise congenial and helpful to all members with all kinds of boats. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this subject evidently causes otherwise nice folks to drop their manners to rehash all the negative comments that have been parroted about that brand, ad nauseum.

I've owned quite a few boats in my life, had great fun with just about all of them. Never bought a new one, never owned the perfect boat that never needed repair or improvement. And, yup, one of my 3 current boats, all running and all used frequently, is a Bayliner. It's fast, reliable, the hull and transom are solid as a rock, and yes, after over 20 years of age the upholstery is showing signs of age. It's no better or worse to me than any boat I've ever owned. Just my opinion, but frankly I could do without the vitriol whether I own one or not. Very much out of place in this site. :S

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108912

That Aspen wag on was the best crysler I ever had. The Dodge truck actually rusted in half. :woohoo: It's nose started pointing at the sky while driving it in the yard. Unless I get a pontoon boat I probably have the one they will bury me in right now. I told the kids to bury me in my 62 F-100 but I bet they won't. :unsure:

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108923

I had a Volare (Plymouth's Aspen) in college. Bought it with 57K (slant six/904 auto) and drove it two years back and forth from Metro Detroit to Big Rapids (about a 200 mile drive) almost every weekend. Blew the rear end out in a snow storm, drove it that summer then sold it to a buddy who drove it back and forth from Tecumseh to Northwestern College in Lima, OH for two years. Then his sister drove it to Sylvania for college when she went. All told, it had to have had 200K or more on it when they gave it to Mother Waddles car donation program. Drivetrain was bulletproof, body, not so much.

I'd love to have it back. Even had plaid flannel seats!

Jay

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108931

Hey folks,

For what it's worth, I like the original idea of UNIQUE 80's boats. This would exclude many, if not most, of the boats of the decade, not just bayliners. Take a look at sea ray, 4 winns, most regals, etc and you'll see almost identical looks and layouts (not build quality obviously).

My significant other has informed me that regardless of how nice the Club Mariner eventually is, it is unlikely She'll be doing overnights/weekends in it. So I've been looking at older boats in the 24'-27' range, and have been surprised at some of the models. Yes, a GREAT deal of them are cookie cutter, but some, like a couple of the Stamas boats, Sunrunner, had some cool, or "difffernt" (I'll leveave it to your imagination) designs. And the higher end boats really have some neat designs and layouts.

Just my 2 cents!

Al T

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108938

2 cents more. A young person say 20yrs old would look at a 1980 boat as being 15 yrs old when they were born. To them that's an old boat.
Are they classics today, perhaps not. But to their kids and grandkids they will be.

A 15 yr old boat when I was born would make it a 1938.

Wish I had a few of those. LOL, Gene

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108942

I had a capri great boat

If it aint broke dont fix it bkm marine services

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108950

i thot searay's were first class. my bro has a 20 footer.whatsleft wrote:

Hey folks,

For what it's worth, I like the original idea of UNIQUE 80's boats. This would exclude many, if not most, of the boats of the decade, not just bayliners. Take a look at sea ray, 4 winns, most regals, etc and you'll see almost identical looks and layouts (not build quality obviously).

My significant other has informed me that regardless of how nice the Club Mariner eventually is, it is unlikely She'll be doing overnights/weekends in it. So I've been looking at older boats in the 24'-27' range, and have been surprised at some of the models. Yes, a GREAT deal of them are cookie cutter, but some, like a couple of the Stamas boats, Sunrunner, had some cool, or "difffernt" (I'll leveave it to your imagination) designs. And the higher end boats really have some neat designs and layouts.

Just my 2 cents!

Al T

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108953

There were lots of great boats in the 80's. Being 45 years of age I first got my boat urges during the "Vice Era". Bought my first and only new boat, a Checkmate Senator, around 1989. While making my list of great 80's boats a theme developed. They're all Offshore Performance Boats. As far as I'm concerned the only notable designs were Performance boats and not really sport boats, runabouts, utilities etc. as in previous decades. There are already plenty of sites and forums for these boats even if they're not identified as 80's boat sites. My partial list includes;

Wellcraft Nova/Scarab
Chris Craft Scorpion/Stinger
Hustler
Sea Ray Pachanga
Chapparral Villain
PowerPlay
VIP Vindicator
IMP Eleganza
Formula
Warlock
Velocity
Checkmate
Baja
Carey
Donzi Crossbow
Cigarette
Four Winns Liberator

There are lots of others but you get the theme. Great boats in their own right but this doesn't seem like the best venue. However, I'm a new guy so what the hell do I know.
I'm still getting used to my starting to like 70's stuff.

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108955

Tried to find a Bayliner for the list but came up empty.

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108958

Was just talking stule for. Comparison. Of tje ones i mentioned, and this is subjective, bayliner would be near bottom in quality, sea ray and regal upper middle, most. Say regal. A bit better. But if look at style and layout, almost. Interchangeable

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108960

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
We have a 1988 Formula 223 SS with a big block Chevy. It goes fast. My wife likes it. She tells people it's an "old classic boat." That settles it for me.

"Success makes...

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108966

I think it's harmless and remember this is a hobby! Sooo, with much fanfare we announce the new Category: The 80's New Wave...! It can be fun to poke fun at them but let's try to be civil! I liked the play on New Wave by davidk and thought it was appropriate. There must be a Glassic lurking out there from the 80's somewhere!

Hello, World!!

Re:Maybe it's time for the 1980s? 9 years 5 months ago #108989

Excellent thanks Ken!

And to be fair, let's not for get the Checkmates. they were pretty cool whether they were the deep vee hull or runabouts, just sayin'

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online