Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT!

RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108501

Howdy to all, My name is Scott, I am a retired NAVY SEAL living in Sturgis, SD. I have resurrected a 1963 ELGIN Boat from the Grove of tree's Hell. I joined a shotgun forum a month ago, and since it was my first, I guess I posted a question in the wrong Forum, and was Persecuted to the full extent of the Law. I was amazed how many people would rather condemn you then help. So My question is where or what forum do I ask questions about the value, parts accessories , and Advice as to put money into it , or sell as is, or Junk it.
Any response, and info , would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
NAVY SEAL SCOTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108503

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Howdy, Scott, where you posted is just fine. We're a lot nicer here, we aren't much into head-biting until we get to know you better!!! ;)

I can't say that I know a lot about Elgin boats but if you'd post a few pics here, it would help us evaluate what you have.

BTW if you don't see how to add a pic, hit "edit" on your original post and you should find the area where you can browse to your picture files on your computer, to upload a pic to your post.

Hope that helps and Thank You for your Service!..........ed

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108504

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Navy SEAL? Very interesting. What is your last name and BUD/S number? I know a few seals you might also know.

As for the boat, you didn't give us much to go on. Photos could tell alot and maybe a description of the condition, any missing part, etc. Anything you can add would help.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re: RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108505

nvysealscott,

WELCOME ABOARD, brother-in-arms.

Fwiw, Elgin boats were built by so many contractors for Sears that we'll need photos to have a chance to figure out WHICH builder made it.
(To my knowledge, NO boats were built BY Sears.)

yours, satx,
USA, Retired

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108509

Scott Welcome aboard and thanks for your service! Go Navy! Yes we need pics to help you out. Use the below link to help you post pics.
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/support/how-to-post-pictures

There are a few folks who have Elgin's and can chime in.

Bob

US Navy Retired

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108510

hi scott,there used to be a really nice lady on here named Denise,aka the elgin lady,i think she hangs out in the sw fiberglassics section if shes still around,she know elgins better than anyone i know.
maybe somebody here can get in touch with her

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108511

she's with the california group john. GOLDEN STATE GLASSICS. :

PROJECT X-RAYSTOWN LAKE, PA.
Attachments:

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108532

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hi scott, I have an old 1961 elign runabout. about the only thing I have that is any good are the aluminum seat brackets. and thanks for your service in the navy. frog

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108533

yep thats her,she sent me a dvd with alot of history of elgin boats on it,if someone wants it for the libray i can send it,if i can find it,a whole lot of info on it,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108557

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Scott, glad to have you join us here. I think you will find this is a much friendlier place to hang out, we're looking forward to hearing and seeing more about your project.

John, sounds like we need to get that info to HandyAndy so he can get it into the library. Anything I can do to help I'll be glad to assist....... ;)

Mark

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #108567

mark send me the address to send it to,if i can find it i will send it out

---Mark Twain

NAVY SEAL SCOTT ELGIN BOAT INFO 9 years 5 months ago #108590

Right up front I apologize for not being computer savoy. I posted a thread asking about which forum to post in. I got great responses, and felt welcomed. But could not for the life of me figure out how to add more info to my post, and how to thank everyone who has helped.

So forgive me but this was the only way I could get you more info.

1963 15' ELGIN
Serial #. AT-352R007 or AT-35DR007 hard to read tag on hull
Model # 6315 or 63151 same tag on hull hard to read
Max weight - 1385 lbs
Max O.B. 75 H.P.

The man I got it from says his Grandpa bout it new and the O.B. that is on the Boat now is suppose to be the Original one .

1964 Evinrude 28 H.P. Speed Twin
Model# 28403-M
Ser. # EO1493

My main purpose for dragging the boat out of the tree's , Is to see if it will be worth putting a small amount of money into it, So I can sell it, with all proceeds going to our local Wounded Warrior Project. I am still trying to figure out how to get the pics off my phone and into here.

The final note is, would all of you nice people educate this old Vet, as how to add more to a posted thread and how to thank everyone who has taken the time to respond.
Respectfully,
NAVY SEAL SCOTT

P.S. 21 JUN 15, I JUST SPENT A HALF HOUR WRITTING A NEW MESSAGE FOR THIS THREAD. EXPLAINING THAT MY HEALTH HAS BEEN BAD AND ASKING FORGIVNESS FOR THE DELAY, I TRIED UPLOADING PICTURES, AND AFTER 45 MIN, I HIT THE SUBMIT BUTTON AND IT SAID I HAD AN ERROR AND IT ALL DISAPEARED, X ;!!#*%, UUHHGG! IM GOING TO TRY AN UPLOAD HERE!!!

Re:NAVY SEAL SCOTT ELGIN BOAT INFO 9 years 5 months ago #108598

• MarkS
Scott you can hit the "Reply" button on the bottom of the thread to post more on any existing threads.

RE: is it worth restoring or refurbishing enough to use - Heck yeah! While it may not be "collectable" like some of the rare classics, I personally feel that they all deserve a chance to once again provide great joy and satisfaction to their new owners. If I could afford it I'd have a fleet of Glassics, :laugh:

Mark

Re: NAVY SEAL SCOTT ELGIN BOAT INFO 9 years 5 months ago #108608

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Scott, you'll notice that your posted messages will have an extra button at the bottom right of the message, "Edit". Make sure you are logged-in to be able to see the "Edit" button.

Just hit "Edit", make any changes you like, and resubmit the message.

At the bottom of the message you're editing, you'll see "Select image file to attach". Hit the grey "Browse" button to the right, and navigate to whatever folder you have your boat pics stored in. Select the file you want and hit the "Open" button at the bottom right of that window. That should take you back to the message you're editing, and you'll see that the name of the picture file is now displayed in the window to the right of the "Browse" button.

For whatever reason, this site only allows attachment of one picture and one file (such as a .pdf, etc) at a time.

So if you have more pics to enter in the one message, just submit the edited message, then return to it in the message thread, hit "Edit" again, add another pic, rinse, lather, repeat as necessary!

Well, hope that explantion isn't too corn-voluted!

Cheers......ed

Re: NAVY SEAL SCOTT ELGIN BOAT INFO 9 years 5 months ago #108613

Thanks for your service. I think you would enjoy that boat. After putting all the time/money in it you may not seea big return. Unless you run ito another bunch of old boat nuts. Your in the right spot. :cheer:

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 5 months ago #109193

Yes Mr. Nautilus, I am the real Deal, Just went thru a horrible ordeal with Identity theft, really sucks being attacked and not being able to fight back, so as you know , answering your question is tough for any old Frog, due to the amount of communication security we live every day with. So Last name has me a little uneasy right now, but you must know some Team Guys, cuz you asked the right question. ( BUD/S CLASS 126 ), been Retired for quite a few years now, Hope this puts your mind at ease,
Respectfully,
NAVY SEAL SCOTT

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 3 months ago #111590

I have been very ill for the last month, and am just now getting healthy enough to continue with the ELGIN Project. I have written two new threads that took me 45 min to write and upload pictures, I took your advise and went thru the steps and every time I hit the Submit button, It says the image was not uploaded due to Moderators file size, Man im confused, R U up for helping me again??

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 3 months ago #111591

• MarkS
PM sent

Mark

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 3 months ago #111595

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Scott, I used to use photobucket to post pics because they resize the pics for you. It worked pretty easy unless they have changed it around.I think,the biggest thing I had to do when posting pics here directly from my PC was change the setting on my digital camera to make the pictures the right size for for posting pics on the internet. Once I did that ,I'd just remove the memory card from the camera,put it in the laptop and take the pics right off of it. I promise you,if a rockhead like me can do it,you can too. Jim

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 3 months ago #111629

I created this PDF to help everyone wanting to use Photobucket to upload pics. It has screen shots to "Show n' Tell" you how to configure the app to make it easy to use. Hope this can help all the FiberGlassic members Now and in the future.

File Attachment:

File Name: Posting_Pi...cket.pdf
File Size:264 KB
Attachments:

Re:RETIRED NAVY SEAL NEEDS HELP WITH ELGIN BOAT! 9 years 3 months ago #111640

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Super job,Flamingo! Makes it so easy to post pics. Should help a lot of people. Karma to you.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online