• Page:

TOPIC: mini foundry

mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108235

• Shake
  • Shake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Ordered the stuff to build a small aluminum foundry yesterday, should have it up and running by next month. Thinking I will start out with making some aluminum windshield brackets/clips, then if things go well, work my way up to bigger more elaborate parts. We'll see how things go. but thinking if I find I'm good at it, I may try my hand at making the mounts for tilt n trim for the older motors and sell them in a kit. Lets just hope I don't blow myself up or burn the place down in the meantime lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108237

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Shake:

I need an aluminum LaFrance V12 engine block for my racer project. Let me know when you have it done. Thanks

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108239

:) ^^^

Good luck

If you can find old aluminum rims, I hear they make good melting stock.

Good luck and be careful.

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108240

umm....might make sure they are not magnesium...that stuff can get really weird!!

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108247

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I used old carbs, the metal is high grade and flows out in molds real good. just need to have the correct temp , and good ventilation. frog

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108249

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Auto engine pistons are some high silicon strong stuff. Save them for mechanical parts where toughness is important.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108255

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
thanks for the good advice, I see that Mag can cause a big fire or explosion, says to file a section of the material in question then soak it in white vinegar and if it bubles and/or turns black it's mag. I still have the old engine and transmission out of the hhr which are aluminum to cut up and melt down. I think about the only think I really need to research is shrinkage once the parts are cast... that's why I aim to start SMALL Nautilus lol.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108259

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been looking at your pics and noticed you have a HHR that looks like ours. Ours has the seldom seen 2.4 and 5 speed setup. Its been real reliable. Other than a couple of stupid recalls.
MarkW

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108262

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
cool, yeah this car is pretty good on gas too. mines 2.4L with the R14 auto. so your manual is more than likely much more gas efficient than mine. I use mine to pull these little boats, it doesn't do to bad. a little boggy on long steep hills but other than that, does well.

Re:mini foundry 9 years 5 months ago #108265

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I work in an aluminum factory and recommend you research the alloy variations carefully. Most fittings can use 6000 series alloys, 7000 and 9000 series alloys bring their own problems along with their strengths. Pure aluminum is too soft. Mixing alloys may yield bad results or be ok. I only suggest you research alloys before you jump.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online