• Page:

TOPIC: Upholstery Work

Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107368

• NJTriton
  • NJTriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Does any one do their own upholstery work? I went to get an estimate for new seat cushions for the Aristocraft and the quote was ridiculous! Its not like I wanted anything outlandish, just 4 seat cushions and 4 back, done in white with a top stitch and piping to match the paint. The guy wanted $1200! I don't know if I'm off base thinking that's exorbitant or not but I was expecting about half of that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

-Brian

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107369

cost me 1k for my 2 bench seats...
Attachments:

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107385

Well because of the cost to do these interiors I also hadve went to doing it myself. But make no mistake there is a learning curve to getting the best results.
Maybe the biggest obstacle is you really need a sewing machine that can handle four to six layers of vinyl, and you need some basic skill to operate these machines. Tension is very important, number of stitches to the inch, kind of needle, right type of thread, right density for the foam, etc.
But I am not trying to talk you out of it. Look around for a shop,that sells used sewing machines they will be your best help. Tell them what you are going to do and they will get you into,the right machine the first time. Plus help you when you need advice. If not ebay has many machines for sale.
When I first tried this I bought my own vinyl cut all the pieces to the size and had a shop just sew the pieces together then I installed everything my self. Worked ok but mine was very simple.
We paid two hundred dollars for a used machine and have never looked back. But I must say when I say we my wife does most of the sewing. She has had a machine for clothes her whole life and so really knew the basics.

D
Attachments:

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107386

If you go to youtube.com and type in Sailrite you will find "how to" videos on just about any project you want to do. Also, visit their website for more ideas, thread, fabric, etc., etc. Lots of good stuff.
Dan

Re: Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107387

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's an article from this site about making your own upholstery.

www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/making-boat-seat-cushions

Thinking about doing this myselft for the powercat rear seat. Read in "this old boat" about doing your own sewing. Compares to using a table saw. Said to look for a used sewing machine with a walking foot and industrial quality.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re: Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107388

also, research the machine you are looking at....there are machines for upholstery and industrial machines that are made for sewing shirts and dresses at light speed all day every day....you want one for upholstery...john

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107390

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I have an upholstery lady to die for. She would do those seats for right around $600 and she's good...very good. She's done the upholstery for every boat you see on my site. Right now, she's doing tuck and pleated green leather for the Dee Wite. You could always send the seats to her and still save several hundred dollars. Just a thought. She did the upholstery for the 1962 Correct Craft Debonnaire below: $650.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107395

I'm doing the same, did my sailboat canvas, ready for the boat, want a sailrite but need a used one bot my
machine is doing ok, I thought about doing boat upholstery to speck a.d having.g the customer do the instal since too pricy to ship seats done, it is a rip 600 for 1 be.ch seat

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107397

my 1960 span America was $1500 with all new wood and foam. high as heck but ill only do it once. Bob

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107401

I paid around $600 for the seats and side panels to be sewn for my jetflite and I provided the material and had to assemble them myself. There for I have sworn the next time I am going to learn to do it myself. Look at it this way for $1200 dollars you can buy your own sewing machine and teach yourself gaining a worth while skill for the price of one boats worth of seats.

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107407

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I suppose most people can learn to sew but I doubt that their first effort will result in a job anywhere near professional quality. Considering the time required, the cost of a decent sewing machine, the materials and the anticipated result, I say, when in doubt, sub it out...which is exactly what I do. "A man's got to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107421

i couldn't of said it better. ron

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107431

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i did my own side panels last year, and they came out pretty decent for my first foray in to upholstery. But that was just cutting, stretching and stapling. I guess I have to bring up my skills from middle school home-ec class and relearn sewing. For now I'll just sub it out until then.

-Brian

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107484

I was in the same boat you're in. I didn't like the prices the PRO's were giving me soooo, I did my own upholstery on my boat 3 years ago and have since started doing seats for others. Another one of our members, andgott, did his too, and has posted here on the forum as well. He did some excellent work too. I started out with an Old Morse machine from the 50's for $75 bucks and it worked OK, but then I bought an old Walking Foot machine for $300 and can do just about anything that needs done. Getting pretty good at it now. My phone keeps ringing maybe I'm too cheap!!! I did these seats for a guy in Ohio. He sent me his old brown and tan skins and said he wanted yellow and black. I sewed em up and sent em back and he stretched em back on. They turned out ok I guess. I might be able to help you out too if you want.

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107497

nj,i highly recommend my flamingo ,his work is great and hes a great guy,if not try these sites,i used them on our curaft
www.bing.com/videos/search?q=auto+upholstery+videos+diy&mid=479CEBEDF72DB42E6D85479CEBEDF72DB42E6D85&view=detail&FORM=VIRE2 I hope this link works,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107561

you get what you pay for...

These were pricey but well worth it. Only a pro can get the beading right.
Attachments:

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107562

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i agree, but a pro only became a pro through experience.... no reason why i cant do the same

-Brian

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 6 months ago #107565

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
brian, very well said, greg

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 5 months ago #108275

I don't know where you live, I found a guy in West Sacramento who did mine for 900. after I personally drilled out the tee nuts and replaced them with stainless tee nuts and stainless fastners.He also did a a back rest and the boxes with 1/4 inch pad. All marine vinyl.
Attachments:

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 5 months ago #108295

headley wrote:

you get what you pay for...

These were pricey but well worth it. Only a pro can get the beading right.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with this. I'm no pro but thru experience I've learned to do an excellent job of doing piping and a lot of other areas of upholstery. If you are "Handy" and have a sewing machine that can handle the 4-6 layers of vinyl and watch enuf videos on the subject and "Practice Practice Practice" then IMHO any one can become quit adept at the craft. It's like any other craft, you just have to dig and and keep at it and you can achieve great results. I know of 2 amateurs that couldn't SPELL sewing machine less than a year ago and are now doing fantastic upholstery work and making good money doing so!!! I Know it can be done!!!

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 5 months ago #108302

It sounds to me that you are a pro. Like I said...

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 5 months ago #108378

Well, I thank you for the kind words, but...I don't think I'm there YET but I keep trying!!!! I DO think it's possible for us DIY'ers to do some pretty good work IF we're persistent AND have the right machine to do the work. If anyone is wanting to give it a go.. The Old 1950's models Singer 15-91's are GREAT machines. The Motors are Direct Drives and will sew Three layer of Belt Leather so you won't have any trouble sewing any of your Marine upholstery projects. I got one for $50 bucks on Craigslist With the cabinet.

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 5 months ago #108384

Do the Singer 15-91's have a Feed feeder foot on the bottom?

D

Re:Upholstery Work 9 years 5 months ago #108400

Not exactly sure what you mean. This will give you a good idea of what a 15-91 is all about. They have a Potted Motor with either a Cabinet mounted or floor mounted electric variable speed foot control.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online