Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LeSourdsville powerplant ?

LeSourdsville powerplant ? 9 years 6 months ago #106849

OK, it’s almost boating season for some. It will be “Let’s start a boat project” for me.
Some of you have seen the thread of the LeSourdsville Lake ride boat for kids that I posted a while back. Originally it had a 5 HP mower motor to power it.
Well, since the PO stripped it of most mechanicals, I can do what I want. (The boat has stuffing box for a rudder and shaft, so technically it’s an inboard.)
So I was thinking about a smaller CC older model jet ski motor and drive shaft.
I found one for the price I can live with, if I get it and it doesn’t fit ?
I think the top speed of the later 80’s jet skis was about 25 MPH which is, in my eyes, fast enough for a kid.
I doubt I’ll be able to use the jet ski impeller and housing ? But figured I could adapt a prop to it ?
If the guy still has the jet ski on Monday ? I’m going to go look at it, to see if the motor will fit where I need it ?

What do you think ?
Interesting idea ?
Good Idea ?
Bad idea ?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:LeSourdsville powerplant ? 9 years 6 months ago #106861

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds like an interesting project Chuck, should be plenty of power with the jet ski motor I would think. Are those motors air cooled or water cooled?

Mark

Re:LeSourdsville powerplant ? 9 years 6 months ago #106868

Cool idea Chuck, that should be a fun project and agree the motor should be big enough. By the looks of it even if it's water cooled you should be k since there is a raw water hose in the engine bay already from the looks of it.

Bob

Re:LeSourdsville powerplant ? 9 years 6 months ago #106875

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Neat! Sounds like something I'd do :)

Re:LeSourdsville powerplant ? 9 years 6 months ago #106878

Jet ski is water cooled, and yes that is a water pick-up in the bottom of the boat. So I think this will work, providing there is space ?
The big thing for me was price of a jet ski. Those things are expensive, and I would hate to buy one on a hunch, and find out I can't use the thing ?

Re:LeSourdsville powerplant ? 9 years 6 months ago #106922

chuck, im local and i love those boats so much i would be willing to donate two stand-up jet skis so you could make it happen. one has a bad engine so i cut it down to parts but i have had the other one running. call me or text me at 513 417 1810

Re:LeSourdsville powerplant ? 9 years 6 months ago #106956

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I've been contemplating the same thing myself. I was thinking of using a larger waverunner motor and seeing how much it would take to convince my machinist buddy to build me a surface drive to mate it up to.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:LeSourdsville powerplant ? 9 years 6 months ago #107267

Thanks to this site, and especially Ben I now have a direction for a power plant option.
The amount of knowledge here, the collective brainstorming suggestions given if issues arise, and the networking to locate parts or information on any particular boat or motor
Is staggering, and what makes this site and hobby fun.

I hope I’m finally figuring out my plan ?
First thing to do when you want to tackle a boat project.
Figure out the obvious, what you need, or what you want ? write it down on a list (usually hardware)
And tack it on your wall, where you can see it every single day.
Putting a line through found items really give you satisfaction.
Because Finding parts, when you’re not looking hard, is a lot easier, than the frustration of needing it, and can’t finding it.
Best part is you can search, before you get to that phase of the project
This daily searching will avoid a few things :
Project slow downs if you get in a hot project working groove
Or paying top dollar, because you need the part now.
Also some parts are quite pricey ! sticker shock can really put a dent in your project, or missing out on the part because you think a better price will come along, just to find out you may never see that part again ?
Watching prices to figure out the going rate, saving that rate, then pulling the trigger when you find a great deal
Makes the project and budget go smoother. (my case, at some point will be windshield brackets)
Lastly….. Finding stuff you really don’t need at fantastic prices, or free, then trading it for something you really do need ?
I’m not telling you to become a parts hoarder, but trading stock is good, and you can really get better deals on what you need, while making someone’s day,
Because you have something they need, and making new friends.

I have a ton of work to do on this boat, before trying to figuring out the power plant. But finding this motor now can help me figure out the hull work
configuration needed or if it will even fit ? and getting it at the right price ?

So thank You all again, I won’t be able to get through this project without your knowledge, support, and help !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online