Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Re attaching deck

Re attaching deck 9 years 7 months ago #106652

How best to re attach the deck on my Glastron? It's a shoe box design with #10 bolts through the joint/ rub rail. The factory just scabbed a strip of fiberglass lengthwise on the inside, but I thought there must be a better way.
Thanks
Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Re attaching deck 9 years 7 months ago #106654

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Bill, looks to me you could use stainless/nylon lock nuts on the back side. My '63 Aristocraft has locking nuts on it and most are original. Although they could stand to be replaced.Maybe use washers if you think it needs them.

Re:Re attaching deck 9 years 7 months ago #106655

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Not familiar with your interior,so got to thinking that if you can't get to the back side to install the nuts, maybe you could glass some aluminum strips on the inside edge of the top of hull and drill holes for your screws. Just a thought. jim

Re:Re attaching deck 9 years 7 months ago #106656

Thanks Jim, I did bolt it with Nyloks, but I wasn't sure if I should put some adhesive (like 4200) between the two halves, or would the bolts alone be sufficient? If they are, maybe I'll just run a bead of 4200 on the outside to seal it up

Cheers
Bill

Re:Re attaching deck 9 years 7 months ago #106657

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Bill, The last two I separated had those large pop rivets that I had to drill out. When I replaced the tops I used small stainless bolts with large fender washers on the backside, lock washers and regular nuts. The things never seem to quite fit together like when you take them apart but with enough finagling you can get the old holes to line up. I never saw a need for any adhesive unless you plan on lifting it by the cleats or chocks :laugh:

When it's put back together I usually run a bead of flexible silly cone to seal it up and keep splashing water out. Then re-install the rub rail.

Re:Re attaching deck 9 years 7 months ago #106658

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds like a good idea. What Cal said.

Re:Re attaching deck 9 years 7 months ago #106662

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Bill I glassed some plywood stips (1/2" x 1 1/2" wide) along the inside of the seam in the hull. Then sealed the deck onto the hull as she went back toghter, used the stainless steel screws that held the rub rail on to mechanically fasten the halves together. I used sealant in the joint to prevent water intrusion as well as bonding it together, maybe overkill I don't know.

www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/member-projects/new-project-71-glastron-gt-150

Mark

Re:Re attaching deck 9 years 7 months ago #106683

Thanks for the replies guys. Think I'll back off the bolts and run a small bead of 4200.

Cheers

Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online