• Page:

TOPIC: Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint

Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106473

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I saw this paint on Amazon. It has no anti fouling agents, so it's marketed as Topside paint. It's noted, not for use below the waterline. But, being contrary, I'm considering it for a fresh coat on a transom, applied with a roller. Has anyone used this stuff? I'm wondering if it might be ok below the waterline if the boat were not constantly in the water, but normally just used on day trips.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106475

On my '59 Thompson I use Briteside on the bottom, which is considered a topside paint. I don't usually leave it in the water for more than a weekend and have not had any problems. I think Menards sells that Rustoleum around here, so you might be able to get it at any big box home improvement store.
Bill

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106484

Norm, I used it on my trailer with the Valspar hardener. Worked great if that helps. Granted it's not running through the water but it's held up nicely.

Bob

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106486

I used it on my jetflite's transom using the roll and tip method. It looks ok, on a side note I got mine at the big box store, and they where able to tint it for me to better match the off white color of the hull.

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106493

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I have used it on hulls more than I can count and never had an issue with it but they were all trailer boats, nothing staying in the water for a summer.
Getting ready to use some more as soon as the weather cooperates.
Attachments:

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106510

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks to all. I'll probably give this stuff a try. Transom was recored by a previous owner and it's solid. Since this will be at least the third motor for the boat (OMC, Merc, now back to OMC)the outer skin has its share of well plugged mounting holes. I just want to get it all one color again. I'll try the big box stores, although the nearest are a 100 mile round trip from here.

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106511

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Geesh Norm, do you live in East Overshoe, KY? :)

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106512

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I DREAM of living in a big town like East Overshoe. Deming New Mexico is conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. Actually, that goes for the whole state of NM. :S

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106514

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I just googled earth Deming. There's no water! Gettin' some rain now. I'm beginning to suspect you're an intruder under secret cover spying on us.
Attachments:

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106516

You can get the whole rustoleum marine brands through Amazon, if you are so inclined. Not all the big box store locations have them. I am on Long Island in NY, and there are multiple HD and Lo@#s around here, but only 2 or 3 in a 25-30 mile radius that actually carried them or kept them in stock (I always call first as that distance here can equal 45-60 min. depending...)

Also, Rustoleum makes a commercial brand (I think that is what it is called) that some say is basically the same. I actually painted part of the bracket on my Club Mariner with the commercial and part with the marine - if I ever get it in the water, I'll let you know how they hold up!

Hope that helps.

Re:Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint 9 years 7 months ago #106576

I've been using Rustoleum Pro Oil based Paint with the added Hardener on Boat hulls for over 5 years. No need to pay extra for the "Marine TopSide" products. I also use the "Majic" brand paint sold at Tractor Supply and they sell their own reducer and Hardener. It's acrylic enamel just like rustoleum products. I wouldn't advise leaving your boat in the water for more than two or three weeks but I will say once this paint fully cures (about 30 days) it's hard as nails and VERY glossy!!! It's cured enuf for you to wet sand and flip over and trailer in 3-4 days. I think you'll love it if you try it. You can make your own reducer my mixing a 50/50 mix of Xylene and Mineral Spirits and then thining the paint at about 25% if you're spraying. If you're gunna roll it I'd thin with Mineral Spirits @ about 10%.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online