Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glassified Boats

Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106073

I see over 150 boats listed on this site for sale. Are these boats moving ? If not why? It seems to me it's just a billboard? Any thoughts here?

Travis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106077

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Haven't looked in there for a while Travis, I just don't have the budget to enlarge the collection right now and it seems like "window shopping" just reminds me of that fact...

The prices some people are asking seem totally unreasonable to me. I realize a well restored classic can bring some handsome money, and the more rare it is the more money it can bring. But to ask $4-$5000 and up for a boat that's going to need at least that much more put into it for restoration just isn't in the realm of reason for me.

I've been very fortunate to find a few "original" boats that were usable for a season or two before transom, floor, and stringers became suspect. But most need major rebuilds in the very near future if not immediately. That's not a problem, it's what we do around here. To me an un-restored Glassic is worth MAYBE $750-$1000 if it's highly collectable, about half of that for most we see in the Glassifieds.

Just my two cents, please don't hate because I'm a cheap skate! :laugh:

Mark

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106079

Mark,

Thanks for the reply I hope others chime in also on this subject. I agree with your response, if prices for these classics stay on the extreme high end they will never change hands and will not see many new faces into these boats. It is what it is hopefully prices will change but I just don't see it. Won't have to worry about getting new members or boat owners.

Travis

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106087

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I think some of the sellers in the Glassifieds are dreamers or are just not aware of the "going rate" for an old un-restored fiberglass boat. Some referred to as "barn finds" are obviously listed to make a fast buck. As long as the Glassifieds are free, you're always going to get the guys who throw out the bait and hope they get a bite. I think a lot of them are not boat people, just take-the-money-and-run people. Many of those overpriced boats have been for sale for quite awhile which is why the Glassifieds are so crowded. Someone should thin out the herd.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106090

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I agree with you, they are over priced with maybe a few that are reasonable. I have tried to give away my 1958 shell lake rocket, and all the responses I get are you willing to ship it, or will you deliver it. or i'll send you a check for shipping and you can send the extra cash back. so I pulled the ad and will just leave the rocket stored and let my wife get rid of it when the time comes. frog

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106093

The free ads here are no different then free ads anywhere

craigs
freeboatshopper
oodle

etc etc etc

IMO if a seller chooses to price a boat at the top (or as often is the case WELL above) of the market, then that seller chooses to have it sit unsold.

If a boat interests me, and isn't horrifically overpriced, I'm inclined to go look at it. I like old boats and motors, talking about old boats and motors, and talking to people that have old boats and motors. If I'm interested I don't worry about offering less then asking, the seller certainly isn't worried about turning it down.

The pix in ads can also be a resource for someone looking for info about a similar boat.

I check the ads every now and again, and since the most recent ads are listed 1st it doesn't take 5seconds to determine if there's a new ad I haven't seen.

Let the ads sit til they expire, or sit forever until the seller takes it down, why do I care?

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106094

yes....we had a 59 glastron fireflite boat on there for a while....we were dreaming at $200....guess we shoud have said we would pay $200 if someone would come and get it....still probly wouldn't be cheap enough...john

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106101

Sorry i missed your ad, but if i remember correctly red, your not on the east coast, ao it wouldnt have mattered, likely to far away.... Dont tell the Admiral, but I do have a boat stashed in SaltLakeCity. WHAT its only 1950mi.... 1way......

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106103

To ALL,

EVERY single boat that I've seen in the Glassifieds & WANTED was at least 1500 miles away.

Fwiw, I'm looking for a light 1958 runabout or utility (that's all there) to match my RDS-20 Johnson. - So far, NO LUCK.
(I found a 1958 GLASTRON SKIFLITE that 800+ miles away and that I was considering & then I found out that the side, that the seller didn't send a photo of, had been run into a concrete retaining wall & was "toast".)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106161

I changed the ads to expire after 180 days. If someone wants to repost after that, they can.

Hello, World!!

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106162

I'd like to buy that one John has on there but there is just too many places the money has to go. :unsure:

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106163

So how do you think people come up with a value for there vintage boat they want to sell? They hear about one like theres that sold, actually saw one bring that kind of money, watched ebay sales, one of us coached them on value. I see people on the board all the time ask what should I pay for this boat
. Ever body wants a good deal when we buy these boats. But me I think the economy has just not been good to the value of our boats.
I still love the wisdom I was told when I started.
REMEMBER YOU NEVER PAY TO MUCH FOR A BOAT YOU JUST BUY IT TO SOON.

Del

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106165

My opinion ? Some are top dollar, Some above ? The boat prices that are reasonable ? They are to far away to be reasonable, unless you are local. I just hope prices don't go up like in the ACBS
Rudder... Good God those prices are insane !!!!

A turn key boat price is one thing... but a you restore, get new tires, new bearings, new lights and trailer harness... and hope the trailer doesn't fall apart or boat rattle to pieces on the way home high price, is something different ?

As far as I'm concerned, I can't blame someone trying to make a buck or two, but thousands ?....nope ! The hunt is fun.I try to Find a good buy. If I can't keep it, try to sell it for a few bucks, but not a whole lot. In other words... if find a boat for free, that you want ? you better show up to get it with a case of beer or two for a finders fee !
If I can't buy it ? That is what "sightings" is for. I can look at it for someone, take requested pictures, and store it. till you can get it ? But that's it. negotiations and payment are up to you.
I know it's hard to find some boats in one area, and easier in others, which is why this site is cool. As long as the evil one, knows it's not mine, I'm good.But like most cases if I try to buy.... The evil non-boating half (unless it floats and runs) has the last word !!!

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106166

A boat is worth what someone will pay for it, I used to restore vintage Schwinn bikes, lots I bought for $10 to $75, cleaned them up and sold them to college kids for $150 to $175, I did it to get off my computer programming job and do something fun, I still have my his and hers 1959 cruisers and they are priceless to me. Boats are the same way, I don't buy a boat unless it's in decent shape since I don't have a place to redo a hull, I have been lucky but luck seems more skill.
I have dealt with the "Collectors" out there, in the antique biz too, they are not really selling, just showing off their collection, usually pick up on that quick, if they are not dealing I'm on my way, you need someone with an honest "I want it out" from the commander and since I don't have one of those anymore I get to "steal 'em".
My 2 bits.

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106167

robert,which boat?one of them i had to junk,its on my burnpile nobody wanted it,thats the glasspar lido.
if i knew i would have given it to you,its still here but its separated from the hull,as for the cutter avon with sliding hardtop,i think ed was wanting 200 bucks and i THINK he might throw in a roller trailer.i wish i knew robert.
as for the cutter jet de ville shipster bought it and the golden jubilee a couple of years ago,and i havent heard from him in a long,long time,i tried to call him,if anybody hears from him let me know,his boat is still here ready for him,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106189

John right now I'm deciding if I can even continue with what I have. I just may be selling the Winner and all for what I can get. As things are now I can't afford to do another boat. Everything goes up and my money does not. This year alone in co-pays is costing at least $70 more a month.I would not doubt it is more, I didn't add it up. If I sale my boat then I may as well sale the truck. As of now I'm eyeing up my cast iron cook ware for sale. They did not cut Medicare but I can say they pay for less every year. I'm sure you know about that.I sold the MFG last year for cash and a rifle. It turns out the rifle is worth more than I thought.

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106190

sorry for your tough times rob, we live in a pretty depressing world these days. and these are suppose to be our golden years. what a fxxxxxx joke.

Re:Glassified Boats 9 years 7 months ago #106221

Hey John did that boat have Johnson/ Evenrud controls and wiring for a 59 35 hp?. I have so much time in this boat I do not want to sell. I have three Grandchildren who want it and the oldest is eight. I can't give it up.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online